Aston Villa finances YE 2014

jackbauer24

As I said in another thread. We were estimating EBIDTA of £17m - so way off.

Do you know what EBITDA is? Earnings before interest, tax, depreciation and amortisation. So it could well be absolutely spot on.

Lol....I only recognised two of those words (vaguely).. can I please have an accountancy lesson? :)

It would be typical Villa to get the books in order and then get relegated

But having the books in order is excellent news if we are relegated.

I think you'll find 100's of thousands of fans that wouldnt be too thrilled by that consolation.

It feels like paying off your 35 year mortgage only for your wife to kick you out on the street and move her fancy man in!

• Like 3

What £20m odd? Seems high no? 

I imagine a chunk of that will be depreciation of player registrations, assuming that is included in "Depreciation"

Darren Bent would be £4.5m of that on his own if I understand how they depreciate player registrations correctly (and there's a very good chance I don't!) assuming his transfer fee was £18m

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 2

I imagine a chunk of that will be depreciation of player registrations, assuming that is included in "Depreciation"

Darren Bent would be £4.5m of that on his own if I understand how they depreciate player registrations correctly (and there's a very good chance I don't!) assuming his transfer fee was £18m

Didn't they write off a load of players values last year to reflect the value of the actual squad hence why the loss was so big last year? I'd imagine Bent, N'Zogbia, Given, Ireland, Hutton saw huge reductions as it would have been the squad we had at end of 2012/13. None were really in Lambert's plans going into last season. 

Didn't they write off a load of players values last year to reflect the value of the actual squad hence why the loss was so big last year? I'd imagine Bent, N'Zogbia, Given, Ireland, Hutton saw huge reductions as it would have been the squad we had at end of 2012/13. None were really in Lambert's plans going into last season. 

Don't know to be honest. You might be right.

clicky

Villa revealed that exceptional charges increased by £2.4million to £8.3 million and included the accelerated amortisation of certain players’ registrations and their employment costs. This refers to the depreciation in players’ values as their contracts tick down.

That was last season.

In fairness it only says "certain players" and "acceleration". We don't actually know what that means!

Also - with regards the prediction, at this sort of scale to be out by £5m wouldn't be a shocker, especially considering that prediction was used as a sales tool I believe? It will have been massaged.

• Like 1

In fairness it only says "certain players" and "acceleration". We don't actually know what that means!

.... sales tool...It will have been massaged.

The don't know what it means bit is answered by the other bit - they effectively take the hit early, so that next year the "cost" won't be there - thus the opportunity for profit is greater. Sales tool. Massaged. The actual money went long ago.

.... sales tool...It will have been massaged.

The don't know what it means bit is answered by the other bit - they effectively take the hit early, so that next year the "cost" won't be there - thus the opportunity for profit is greater. Sales tool. Massaged. The actual money went long ago.

Sorry, second sentence was in reference to something Omariqy was talking about.

I understood what is literally meant by accelerating amortisation, what I meant there was we do not know which players and by how much. 

• Like 1

I think then that is why they try and also pen players to deals early?

maybe to spread the depreciation and amortisation across more years?

if Bent renewed contract they wouldn't be accelerating his fee would they?

depreciation would be if the player was getting a lot older maybe and their value would ultimately be falling?

Benteke, how would they take into account players who's value would obviously have gone up?

it's good news if we stay up. 

Come June when Bent is gone and a couple of others we will have some serious dollar to play with and still be balanced. Not to mention the salaries we could offer to keep people. 

We would only need to really hit form with one or two youth players into the regular first team squad and that again frees up some good cash for transfers. 

It would be typical Villa to get the books in order and then get relegated

But having the books in order is excellent news if we are relegated.

I think you'll find 100's of thousands of fans that wouldnt be too thrilled by that consolation.

It feels like paying off your 35 year mortgage only for your wife to kick you out on the street and move her fancy man in!

Odd thing to say. It's obviously far better to be relegated in good financial state than a bad one. Just imagine we had been relegated during McLeish's season, it's just too scary to even think about. We weren't, we stayed in the league and was able to pick up the newer larger payment and we've had time to balance the books and become stable. Not in anyway a consolation but the grim reality is we'll probably go down this year and we are now in a better shape to deal with it.

..........and when we're in the Championship this all means?

That with parachute money we could invest a lot of money in trying to get straight back up, if we stay down for more than 2 seasons though we'll have to cut our cloth to the Championship levels of income which judging by the last effort could see us in league one ;)

• Like 1

It's not about money in the championship - the biggest spenders this season were the relegated teams and £15 mill was about the biggest total outlay - hasn;t done them any good though. Just look at Ipswich, they spent £10k, and are third. What's more important to AVFC more so now than ever before, regardless of the league we are in is having good people runnning the club. Regardless of that, I think the accounts show that should we go down, we'd be the Man City of the league, but look how long it took them to win the flippin title.

• Like 1

Â