Aston Villa finances YE 2014

jackbauer24

It's not about money in the championship - the biggest spenders this season were the relegated teams and £15 mill was about the biggest total outlay - hasn;t done them any good though. Just look at Ipswich, they spent £10k, and are third. What's more important to AVFC more so now than ever before, regardless of the league we are in is having good people runnning the club. Regardless of that, I think the accounts show that should we go down, we'd be the Man City of the league, but look how long it took them to win the flippin title.

Yes but we're just about breaking even with massive tv money, lose that after the parachute payments stop and we're in deep shit again if we do not shed tons of wages. 

It's not about money in the championship - the biggest spenders this season were the relegated teams and £15 mill was about the biggest total outlay - hasn;t done them any good though. Just look at Ipswich, they spent £10k, and are third. What's more important to AVFC more so now than ever before, regardless of the league we are in is having good people runnning the club. Regardless of that, I think the accounts show that should we go down, we'd be the Man City of the league, but look how long it took them to win the flippin title.

Yes but we're just about breaking even with massive tv money, lose that after the parachute payments stop and we're in deep shit again if we do not shed tons of wages. 

Imperative we come back up immediately should we drop. 

• Like 1

Well that's quite a neat way to understand it. So following on, in his time here he's made losses of about £120 mill - but now the club's value has risen over time with the new TV deals etc, he stands to break even if selling at £200 mill. Seems fair if he ends up getting £150 mill - he should be taking a hit for the sheer mismanagement during his custodianship.

Worth saying I don't know any of that for sure.

I just remember the £200m figure being touted as him getting his money back, i.e. breaking even.

I don't know if that works out if you add everything up.

The price Lerner paid for Villa has been misreported though. In August 2006 he paid 62.6m for 60% off the club's shares, not for the whole club. That means he had to go buy the remaining 40%, he wouldn't have gotten that for free. Based on the cost paid for the 60%, the remaining 40% would've cost a ballpark of another 40m, putting the outlay for full club ownership at around 100m.

Then you factor in the losses he covered, and he's definitely spent more than 200m of his own money on us. Probably not far off 350m

The price Lerner paid for Villa has been misreported though. In August 2006 he paid 62.6m for 60% off the club's shares, not for the whole club. That means he had to go buy the remaining 40%, he wouldn't have gotten that for free. Based on the cost paid for the 60%, the remaining 40% would've cost a ballpark of another 40m, putting the outlay for full club ownership at around 100m.

Then you factor in the losses he covered, and he's definitely spent more than 200m of his own money on us. Probably not far off 350m

How much has he received on average per season since 2006, Inc all Gate receipts, Merchandise, Sponsorship deals, TV packages etc?

How much has he received on average per season since 2006, Inc all Gate receipts, Merchandise, Sponsorship deals, TV packages etc?

It's all gone back into the club, there have been some 'management fees' which have come to about £10m during the time he's been here, but the rest has gone to the club, not to him. I've got him down for losing about £200m.

Lerner himself personally, given all the money he's had to put in? Definitely in the minus 9 figure range I'd imagine

Edited by P3te

It's all gone back into the club, there have been some 'management fees' which have come to about £10m during the time he's been here, but the rest has gone to the club, not to him. I've got him down for losing about £200m.

Yeah that'd be about right by my reckoning. Any money he's "made" has gone back in ten fold

Not meaning to prod at this post, or the poster, but do people still actually honestly believe that the money a club makes goes into the pocket of the owner? Business simply doesn't work that way. The owner pays himself a (usually very low) salary, aims to run the company as being profitable, and then looks to make their payday if/when they sell. AVFC's income doesn't go into Randy Lerner's bank account, and if it did he'd be looking at a nice stretch in jail

Lerner himself personally, given all the money he's had to put in? Definitely in the minus 9 figure range I'd imagine

It's the trust that's put the money in (via the mother company), though, isn't it?

Possibly, but it's still "his" money for the sake of this conversation really

Â