• Christian (non practicing)
    • Muslim
    • Jew
    • Hindu
    • Sikh
    • Agnostic
    • Aethist
    • Other (please specify)

I wouldnt go as far as to say im a religious person but however i do believe in some sort of higher being/power, the earth and everything living had to have came from somewhere.

The old what came first the chicken or the egg sort of thing so yes i sort of believe in a "god" but i dont ever go to church, never even looked at a bible so i cant count myself as religious so that why i put down 'christian non practicing' :D

I am surprised there are no jewish folk though :s

I wouldnt go as far as to say im a religious person but however i do believe in some sort of higher being/power, the earth and everything living had to have came from somewhere.

The old what came first the chicken or the egg sort of thing so yes i sort of believe in a "god" but i dont ever go to church, never even looked at a bible so i cant count myself as religious so that why i put down 'christian non practicing' :D

I am surprised there are no jewish folk though :s

I'd say that was Agnostic more than non-practising christian

I put Christian, not practising. Which technically, I am.

When I actually think about religion though, it all seems very silly, doesn't it...

Dunno.

I'm an atheist,but the missus and kids are Catholics.

When I've been to weddings/first communions/confirmations I can't and won't deride someones desire to believe in something they've been taught.

But you would deride somebody for being born into, and taught, to support Birmingham City?

I will never, ever understand why religion makes people so thin-skinned.

Most my passion, effort and energy in life goes towards Aston Villa. I attend, like many who believe, to the holy house (Villa Park), and, even though I had lost faith for a few years, continued to go, cause it was how I was brought up. Could I pick apart the contradictions that were given to the masses by the Villa board? Of course. Can I pick apart the contradictions in the bible? Of course.

Is football, really, that much different from religion? Not in my eyes, to be honest.

I don't give a shit what people believe, I don't care what religion they are, who they support, etc...

But to me, saying religion is silly is no different to me saying I hate Birmingham City, or that Big Brother is about as ridiculous a TV show as I have ever seen, or that I think celery is vile, and so on!

I'm far more likely to get into a passionate argument about football than I am about religion. I care more about my football club, Aston Villa than I do about my religion, (Anglican) Christianity.

Should I be derided for that?

People can believe what they want to believe. I have no qualms with that.

Therefore, I can believe religion is silly.

Belief in the existence of Deity is as irrational as the belief as the non-existence of Deity. Which is to say absolutely irrational.

(I do love bringing Hume into this type of debate...)

I am a bit surprised that of the non-believers the atheists are outnumbering the agnostics by around 3 to 1.

I always thought that this was board was largely made up of contributors with a 'live and let live' attitude.

But then I suppose all of the atheists could also be amongst the music snobs of this parish :winkold:

I am a bit surprised that of the non-believers the atheists are outnumbering the agnostics by around 3 to 1.

I always thought that this was board was largely made up of contributors with a 'live and let live' attitude.

But then I suppose all of the atheists could also be amongst the music snobs of this parish :winkold:

Well, I've been accused of being a music snob, and I'm a dyed-in-the-wool atheist, but I don't have a problem with other people following their religion. Why does being an atheist have to mean you don't have a "live and let live" attitude? In my experience, it's followers of religion that can be the most narrow minded people. I just live my life, doing the best I can, knowing that when I snuff it that's it, I'll be reduced to worm food.

Religious types on the other hand, can be very judgmental is you don't do things according to their particular belief system.

Just because you're an atheist doesn't mean you're not "live and let live". All it means is "no religious belief whatsoever", not necessarily "anti" religion.

As it happens I probably am "anti" religion, as I think it does far more harm than good, but not every atheist is the same as me.

I'm probably a music snob as well, but that's more to do with age. Whn you lived through the Golden Age of Rock, all the recent stuff is bound to sound pretty poor. :)

There is absolutely nothing wrong with being a musical snob!

except doesn't religion in whatever faith teach tolerance of others? :-)

Sure does... unless you're gay, or from another religion, or say something bad about a the religion.

No, it doesnt. It says tolerate all others who fit in with what we are trying to teach. And it leaves plenty of room for fundamentalists to take it the wrong way and kill people for what they believe in. I know that is not what religion is about, but it happens every day, and has happened every day for thousands of years.

True, but Religion didnt think about people forcing R&B on me.

True, start a religion where shite music is banned, and you can count me in! If it involves naked attractive women as well, so much the better.

I think its because most of the agnostics don't understand the term tbh (see above)

Those non-practising Christians are in the main agnostics too I reckon

I wouldn't disagree.

30 years ago I would have ticked agnostic, now I am a non-practising Christian

30 years ago I would have been a Tory (if old enough). Today I am a capitalist with a social conscience, who has no true representative.

30 years ago Rush were my favourite band. Today they still are.

Conclusion? Music rises above everything

:D

Regardless of my opinion on God or religious institutions, I am fascinated with religious concepts, stories, art, etc. - it is a massive part of human history and life.

sums it up perfectly for me (well apart from the art bit ) ..no matter where I go and despite my non belief i still find it fascinating ... The stories have always been out there and I've always had an interest in them even if only from the historical side of things .. Jesus in Japan is a mystery that you kind of just want to find the answer to much the same way I'd love to know who really killed JFK

for my money the most likely sceanrio is that the Bible(old test) is the story of Ancient Egypt , a civilisation that i just find so amazing

i concede the stories about the civilisations are fascinating, certainly far more so than considering the lyrical wit of rap as dylan moran apptly puts it:

I have tried, believe me i have tried to like rap...and it makes me feel so very, very old. I have tried to get HOME with the downies...I cant do it. I understand blues music, y'know, its wonderful the story of the people's disenfranchisement. *strums* i aint got nuffin and theyv taken that away too... i havnt even got a guitar im strummin ma fucken belly button here! ...wonderful names all those guys, yknow, blind dead mcjones... with rap its not like that its all bout what people have got, about attainment yknow its very agressive. "i got pecs, i got bitches, i got limos ...my limos powered by bitch juice and all my spare pecs are in the limo..." they never say anything nice...ever... its always "im guna **** u up, im guna dig up your dad and shove him up your mom and drink your blood thru a drinkin cup ya ****!"

i concede the stories about the civilisations are fascinating, certainly far more so than considering the lyrical wit of rap as dylan moran apptly puts it:

I have tried, believe me i have tried to like rap...and it makes me feel so very, very old. I have tried to get HOME with the downies...I cant do it. I understand blues music, y'know, its wonderful the story of the people's disenfranchisement. *strums* i aint got nuffin and theyv taken that away too... i havnt even got a guitar im strummin ma fucken belly button here! ...wonderful names all those guys, yknow, blind dead mcjones... with rap its not like that its all bout what people have got, about attainment yknow its very agressive. "i got pecs, i got bitches, i got limos ...my limos powered by bitch juice and all my spare pecs are in the limo..." they never say anything nice...ever... its always "im guna **** u up, im guna dig up your dad and shove him up your mom and drink your blood thru a drinkin cup ya ****!"

Yup, same here. Funny thing is I remember liking Gil Scott Heron back in the 70s. For those who don't know, GSH is arguably the father of rap, in that he basically recited hip black poetry over a jazz/soul backing.

But rap has since descended too much into the bragging you mention, and - more importantly for me - TOTALLY abandoned music (melody & harmony) in favour of naked, bludgeoning rhythm. It's incomprehensible, it's unpleasant, it's irritating, but - worst crime of all - it is terribly, dismally, BORING.

I blame Dickie Valentine and Lita Rosa (virtual pint to anyone who can tell me where that quote comes from).

Many people who consider themselves Atheist, I would consider to be Agnostic. Because there are no exact definitions of the terms it leads to much misunderstanding.

Atheists, as I understand it, do not believe in a God or a higher being with 100% conviction.

Agnosticism simply implies an uncertainty about the existence of God.

Â