• Christian (non practicing)
    • Muslim
    • Jew
    • Hindu
    • Sikh
    • Agnostic
    • Aethist
    • Other (please specify)

I'm not practising but I'm catholic and although free will and a modicum of intelligence prevents me from blindly believing every silly thing I was taught, I do believe that my own personal moral code and ethics are built firmly on the religious teachings of my childhood. I also think that is true for most moderate people with some level of religous background regardless of creed.

So do you think that atheists cannot have a moral code?

I do like how Sikh has been spelt incorrectly, and incidently is it not possible to be a non practicing Sikh, I thought I was one but it looks like that it is only possible to be non practicing if you are a Christian.

• 2 months later...

Bump to an ancient thread, and pissing into the wind as MotD is on the other channel but a TV heads up non the less.

On ITV at 23:15 (30 mins) there is a show about the Islamic view on some fella called Jesus Christ. Apparently Muslims, Jews and Christians largely believe in the same thing1 (admittedly they are prepared to kill each other over the details, but still..)

ah the figurehead that's provked wars and the death of millions over two milennia, ironic considering how peaceful he was supposed to be. Caught a part of it, but had to switch over due to the ridiculous tone of some of the commentators who take it all so seriously.

I do like how Sikh has been spelt incorrectly, and incidently is it not possible to be a non practicing Sikh, I thought I was one but it looks like that it is only possible to be non practicing if you are a Christian.

Can you explain that?

I know loads of people who identify "culturally" with the religion they were brought up in but don't necessarily "believe" in the myths, or practice the rituals. This includes Sikhs, Muslims, Hindus, Jews and Christians.

ah the figurehead that's provked wars and the death of millions over two milennia, ironic considering how peaceful he was supposed to be. Caught a part of it, but had to switch over due to the ridiculous tone of some of the commentators who take it all so seriously.

I've just finished reading a really excellent book called "The Happiness Hypothesis".

Towards the end, the author quotes a fellow academic who explains beautifully why this whole "peace-and-love-religions-practicing-mass-violence" phenomenon makes perfect evolutionary sense.

I'll try and sum it up:

We have evolved to be competitive to ensure the survival of our genes. This obviously works for individuals, and also for extended families/tribes.

However, we have also evolved a predeliction for "ultrasociality" - effectively forming larger communities like cities and nation, giving us advantages in defence, commerce, etc.

Within these large conglomerations, "selfish" genetic competition can be counter-productive. But.... those of you who have read their Dawkins will know about "memes" - cultural traits which are not in any way "genetic", but are subject to natural selection just as if they were. This includes fashions, ideas, etc. - and religions.

The theory is that religions have "evolved" in order to bind larger communities together, based upon shared myths, practices, etc. These "religion memes" are in effect in competition with each other. So from an evolutionary viewpoint, it actually makes perfect sense for them to violently oppose each other. Interestingly, part of this process usually involves a taboo on "marrying out" of one's religion or caste, so that any minor genetic mutations will stay within the group, and cultures may over a long period actually become more physically/racially/genetically diverse. Which in turn is used to instensify the "they are not like us" attitudes.

That's massively oversimplified the idea, but it makes a lot of sense to me, and I intend to read further.

Can you explain that?

I know loads of people who identify "culturally" with the religion they were brought up in but don't necessarily "believe" in the myths, or practice the rituals. This includes Sikhs, Muslims, Hindus, Jews and Christians.

Sorry Jas, I just re-read your post and I can see you were saying the same thing as me and questioning the wording of the poll.

You're right, the poll should really restrict itself to "practicing" religions, otherwise it's just asking: "what is your cultural background?" - interesting in itself but not, I suspect, what the original pollster wanted to know.

Its also only possible to put 10 options in the poll, and as the UK is a Christian nation by some considerable distance i felt i could afford to allow for a little more choice amongst the Christian vote.

Mike!

I'm trying to find a rant from you on here where you sort of mock the stories in the bible. Did it disappear?

Found it very funny and wanted to share it

Mike!

I'm trying to find a rant from you on here where you sort of mock the stories in the bible. Did it disappear?

Found it very funny and wanted to share it

You mean THIS?

Christianity: A belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie, who was his own father, and will let you live forever, if you pretend to eat his flesh, drink his blood and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that he put there a long time ago, as punishment for all humanity because a rib-woman made from a dust-man was convinced by a talking snake, to eat fruit from a magical tree.

(It's not original BTW, I found it somewhere on the web).

You mean THIS?

Christianity: A belief in a cosmic Jewish zombie, who was his own father, and will let you live forever, if you pretend to eat his flesh, drink his blood and telepathically tell him that you accept him as your master, so he can remove an evil force from your soul that he put there a long time ago, as punishment for all humanity because a rib-woman made from a dust-man was convinced by a talking snake, to eat fruit from a magical tree.

(It's not original BTW, I found it somewhere on the web).

Thats the one! Thanks :lol:

Â