• Christian (non practicing)
    • Muslim
    • Jew
    • Hindu
    • Sikh
    • Agnostic
    • Aethist
    • Other (please specify)

Religeon was invented for the primitive masses to explain the unexplainable, then later modified as a tool to control the masses. There ain't no need for it any more.

But maybe the masses still need controlling?

After all, in this country, as people are becoming less religious, are we seeing an increase in stealing, cheating, violence, etc.

Some people don't have the brains/willpower to self-impose a moral code, and so need a guiding force like religion to control their wild impulses.

by the way, i'm an Atheist (who was brought up as a Hindu).

Religeon was invented for the primitive masses to explain the unexplainable, then later modified as a tool to control the masses. There ain't no need for it any more.

But maybe the masses still need controlling?

After all, in this country, as people are becoming less religious, are we seeing an increase in stealing, cheating, violence, etc.

Some people don't have the brains/willpower to self-impose a moral code, and so need a guiding force like religion to control their wild impulses.

by the way, i'm an Atheist (who was brought up as a Hindu).

Mmm. But those who practice most antisocial behaviour are pretty unlikely to subject themselves to the social control of religion.

So, in a society where religion has lost its ability to control behaviour - (and by the way, this ability came from social disapproval in a context where most people listened to the church, not from something innate in individual belief in some spooky ethereal being) what role does religion have in keeping the streets more pleasant to walk in? Not much, I'd say. It's down to us to sort it out. God's resting, or otherwise engaged.

I think we have come to a time in this country that we do need something to guide the masses, but religion isnt it - society needs a more realistic alternative that will encompass the masses. Either that, or just make punishments more severe - I mean ASBOs are a **** joke and petty crimes these days usually go without punishment due to the huge amount of time, money and effort it takes to get somebody charged.

im a racist....

I MEAN ATHEIST! :shock:

i love the idea that when you die u just get out your body and do whatever,

but i'm a man of science so i dont believe, but it still is a nice thought.

and nick rogers, you cant just dismiss religion altogether, your offending billions of peoples beliefs.

I think we have come to a time in this country that we do need something to guide the masses, but religion isnt it - society needs a more realistic alternative that will encompass the masses. Either that, or just make punishments more severe - I mean ASBOs are a **** joke and petty crimes these days usually go without punishment due to the huge amount of time, money and effort it takes to get somebody charged.

Well, we tried that in the Dark/Middle Ages. I'm not aware that it was enormously effective.

Well, we tried that in the Dark/Middle Ages. I'm not aware that it was enormously effective.

Dont hear of ye olde chavs though....

Well it depends what you read. Their exploits, such as they were, certainly don't survive though several centuries.

But if you seek it out, descriptions from those times and others suggest we've always had a chav problem.

If only it was as simple as being harder on the little shits, we'd have stamped it out millenia ago.

I put Christian, not practising. Which technically, I am.

When I actually think about religion though, it all seems very silly, doesn't it...

Dunno.

I'm an atheist,but the missus and kids are Catholics.

When I've been to weddings/first communions/confirmations I can't and won't deride someones desire to believe in something they've been taught.

If only it was as simple as being harder on the little shits, we'd have stamped it out millenia ago.

People argue that caning was good for the character, but it seems unrealistic in such a PC country to suggest bringing it back. The 'what if' factor is getting a bit crazy.

Born a christian, but now I'm an atheist.

You can't be born with a belief surely?

(ok ok I'm being picky for the sake of it, I know you meant born into a Christian family :mrgreen: )

Hey, FFS, it's 2:30 in the morning and it was a very hard night at work, what do you expect? :angry:;)

Atheist. Born catholic. As Homer says, if I'm wrong I'll recant on my deathbed.

Ditto but Christened Christian.

Edit in reposnse to Bicks' pedantism :)

Dunno, I've got rampant toothache, maybe if I turn to religion I can say it was all god's fault - the **** :D

so what time are you going to the dentsist today Gareth ............

and nick rogers, you cant just dismiss religion altogether, your offending billions of peoples beliefs.

he can dismiss what he wants on here.

I don't think he's offending billions of people's beliefs, unless of course readership of this forum has suddenly mushroomed overnight.

maybe it has. Must be the work of God. :)

Â