Who Would be Next?

Stevo985

Lambert is the best manager we could get at this point. Makes zero sense to get rid and replace.

Cant agree with that at all I'm afraid. Pulis would absolutely be a better manager and is gettable.

History dictates the next manager will be a guy at the peak of his powers (however high that is) who we will then ruin over a period of 18 months 2 years, he will then leave us and then disappear into the ether.

Left field suggestion - what about Hope Powell?

I wonder what Make Mine Vanilla has to say about this suggestion

Another attempt by the vile matriarchy to infiltrate one of the few pleasure left available to the working man? 

oo how dare they?!  ;)

No. Mönchengladbach have a very strong chance of making the top-four this season. Tuchel will be holding out for bigger and better things too, he'll be the obvious replacement should Klopp leave Dortmund for example. Rangnick is a decent shout although he is current the sporting director at Red Bull Salzburg so he might take a bit of persuading.

Edited by Isa

I'm not for one minute suggesting it should be him, but how has Southgate been getting the England U21s to perform? IIRC they're doing quite well in terms of results, but how are they playing?

Not seen them much but he's always banging on about gradually changing the football philosophy of the England sides from top to bottom to a more possession based game.

I'm not for one minute suggesting it should be him, but how has Southgate been getting the England U21s to perform? IIRC they're doing quite well in terms of results, but how are they playing?

Not seen them much but he's always banging on about gradually changing the football philosophy of the England sides from top to bottom to a more possession based game.

If he's not all talk and if actually delivering on that, he sounds like the kind of guy I'd like to see considered to be honest

If he's not all talk and if actually delivering on that, he sounds like the kind of guy I'd like to see considered to be honest

He didn't go great at Boro though?

alves_280x390_801806a.jpg

• Like 1

That's nearly five years ago now at this stage though. I'm not saying we SHOULD get him, just that if he's actually doing what he's set out to do for the U21s he's probably a decent option to have if he'd be interested

Claudio Ranieri Sacked by Greece???

For good reason!

I'd still judge him on his club record to see if he'd be good enough to some here. Personally I like him a lot, he has built some good sides and been unfortunate that others took the last step to success with them. I'd certainly trust him to put us a decent squad together given the resources to compete in this league.

I'd also trust Lambert to do so ;)

Surely, instead of just thrusting names out, we should do what is not done when Villa actually discuss a new manager and think about where the club should be going and the ethos we would like to instill?

Then select a manager based upon a long term plan for progression. 

Then when that manager leaves, choose another manager with a similar philosophy.

You know, like the successful clubs do.

Edited by nik986

There would be some irony in Southgate coming back to us now having left in 2001, citing lack of ambition, off the back of an 8th place finish, and a 6th place and FA cup final the year before. 

I'm sure he'd take the job if were offered to him in the summer though. We could do worse. Rather him than most of the names in this thread.

Aitor Karanka really looks like a really good coach.

IMHO he is exactly what we need at this club.

He's ruthless too so I think he'd have no problem jumping ship from Boro.

It would be great to see our players working under a really good coach. It has been a long long tiem since thsi was the case...too long in fact.

Surely, instead of just thrusting names out, we should do what is not done when Villa actually discuss a new manager and think about where the club should be going and the ethos we would like to instill?

Then when that manager leaves, choose another manager with a similar philosophy.

You are talking too much sense!  :)

You are talking too much sense!  :)

One of my biggest flaws.

Â