Paul Lambert

limpid

It is not the possession though is it, we have the ball pass it round the middle then back to the keeper or to the other team. The biggest gripe is we can not break a team down who dont attack us. we are a counter attacking team who rely on hitting on the break, great against the better teams but ineffective against the others, teams have learned to sit back and hit us on the break knowing they can defend us without breaking a sweat. we have no width, creativity or players who can play 1 touch football and break through a defence, well thats wrong we do but they dont get picked. We need to change our style of play and formation. this is evident to most fans but PL does not seem to see it which is why he is getting stick. I like him as a person but as a manager it is not working, It can be done on little money as most lower league teams have shown us in the cup, We have a problem and it needs addressing quickly, Either PL shapes up or ships out.

I'd love to be back moaning because we didn't bring on the fonz while trying to get top 4. Those days seem a million miles away.

And 2 trips to Wembley in the same season seems like a million years ago.

• Like 1

Who would you rather watch Swansea or us?

Swansea. They won and scored more than us last season (and conceded less) and their good striker was injured less. But I'd rather watch Atletico than Swansea. I was also happier watching Villa than Norwich, Fulham and Cardiff (all had more possession than Villa).

I want to see wins more than anything, then goals, then good dribbling, good attacking play, then good defensive play, THEN passing / possession.

To be honest, safe possession when losing is my pet peeve. I hate 17 passes between our back 5 when we're losing. I'd rather we risked losing it trying to dribble past them.

People use the budget as a reason to keep him but that doesn't excuse crap football. There are plenty of teams with worse squads that play better stuff. Who's fault is that?

I'm not sure there are plenty of worse squads who play better football, not IMO at least. I do agree though that we should shoot and score more than we have done this season, hopefully we will do.

It's not based on the team with the highest possession finished first. But the top half are mainly made up from teams have have the higher possession stats. I believe this has been the case for a good few years as well.

The top half is also made up of teams with several players that cost 8 figure sums each. You'd struggle (and we do) to buy players for £3-5m each and compete in terms of possession and results with these teams.

Maybe we can and should do a bit better. But realistically, we're almost certainly not going to do significantly better without investment.

It is not the possession though is it, we have the ball pass it round the middle then back to the keeper or to the other team. The biggest gripe is we can not break a team down who dont attack us.

I agree with this. We need a number 10.

It can be done on little money as most lower league teams have shown us in the cup

Beating our reserves once a season on a Tuesday is a different task to getting good results throughout a Premier League season.

Expectation is all any of us have. Neither you nor anyone else can guarantee the reality.

Mid table was many peoples expectation at the start of the season with the squad we have so I think it is not unreasonable that a decent manager could achieve it.

You do know we're only 3 points of being 8th right?

That's even higher than mid-table! :lol:

And you do know we've played most of last seasons top 8 clubs recently?

That post made me :lol:

You do know that we have lost 5 games on the bounce conceding 13 goals and scoring 0? :D 

You do know that with 4 goals scored we are the lowest scoring team in the Premiership?  :D

You do know that Lambert has shown over the last 2 seasons that he is not capable of getting the results required to finish much higher than just outside the relegation zone? :D  

We can all come up with great one liners!  :D

I with you chap all the way. Lapal your looking for any excuse to keep the manager here. As I said previously, if we lose another 5 games which to me is not an implausible feat he will have to go and squash every reason you have to keep him here, surely.

Lambert has regressed the players and style of play in just under 2 years as manager.

He had a spell towards end of first season where things seemed to click, Benteke was on fire and the team looked half decent and scored goals, since then it's been utter dross served up week after week with a few lucky wins against the 'big teams'.

The fact that we sit back against teams even like QPR says alot to me.

Lambert has regressed the players and style of play in just under 2 years as manager.

He's been here more than two years, he's assembled a much better value squad than the one that was here when he got here and the previous style of play left no room for regression. We didn't even try to win games.

utter dross 

Has anyone ever said this in real life?

a few lucky wins against the 'big teams'.

:lol:

Ah yes. Start from the conclusion, work backwards and attribute any conflicting evidence to luck.

He's been here more than two years, he's assembled a much better value squad than the one that was here when he got here and the previous style of play left no room for regression. We didn't even try to win games.

utter dross 

Ah yes. Start from the conclusion, work backwards and attribute any conflicting evidence to luck.

And we do now?

utter dross 

Clearly meant just over two years, but really validates a point that you make to pick up on little mistakes.

He's assembled a higher value squad? What has happened to values of Bent, N'Zogbia etc. Our high value players then? I'd disagree, aside from Benteke, Delph and Vlaar - who else is 'highly valued'?

The style of play, for me, is the same as under McLeish. However, Lambert has had over two years with this squad and there is no evidence of his coaching improving players or a tactical blueprint.

And, the 'lucky' wins. Having watched the majority in the flesh, few were deserved wins. Southampton last season was hilarious.

And we do now?

More so than under McLeish, definitely. Pretending we've regressed from when McLeish was here is ludicrous.

He's assembled a higher value squad?

Not higher value, better value. Massive difference.

The cost of our first team (fees and wages) is much lower and they win more games.

And, the 'lucky' wins. Having watched the majority in the flesh, few were deserved wins. Southampton last season was hilarious.

What constitutes a "deserved win" in your mind? We're never going to outpass a £300m squad over 90 minutes. We won games without incorrect decisions or freak own goals, that's not luck.

And we do now?

More so than under McLeish, definitely. Pretending we've regressed from when McLeish was here is ludicrous. McLeish was supposed to be a blip, a season of poor defensive football, its become the normality.

He's assembled a higher value squad?

Not higher value, better value. Massive difference.

The cost of our first team (fees and wages) is much lower and they win more games. Win more games? He has an equivalent win % to McLeish, so lowest of a Villa manager in the Prem. They do not win more games.

What constitutes a "deserved win" in your mind? We're never going to outpass a £300m squad over 90 minutes. We won games without incorrect decisions or freak own goals, that's not luck.

When they have a number of very good opportunities and carve us open a number of times but inexplicably fail to score, you can also chalk that up to lucky. I am not advocating going to City, United, Chelsea and Arsenal and trying to 'outplay' them, but to attack and take them on now and again would be nice rather than most of the time allowing them to pat us on the back for losing 2/3-0.

And we do now?

More so than under McLeish, definitely. Pretending we've regressed from when McLeish was here is ludicrous.

Disagree.

Wouldn't say we have regressed in play style from then, don't think many if any would, but would certainly say there has been no tangible progress especially given the time frame.

EDIT - Okay maybe some people believe we have regressed since then haha

Edited by penguin

Hi guys, I'm away on holiday..I watched the game in Spain, as my wife complained I said we will go when qpr score the 2nd, sup up we're off, I don't feel we will progress under this manager,it's the same rubbish on the pitch, I want Aston villa back,PRIDE,I want a team who we feel we have a chance,I will watch the Spurs game Sunday in a bar,I hope we get beat so Pl gets the sack,moyes is the man to restore order.LAMBERT OUT,

Holy ****, you made this hard to quote.

McLeish was supposed to be a blip, a season of poor defensive football, its become the normality.

So have we regressed or was that bullshit?

He has an equivalent win % to McLeish, so lowest of a Villa manager in the Prem. They do not win more games.

WRONG. No he doesn't. Why would you bring up something as objective and as easy to look up and compare as win % and then be so wrong? To clarify, 21 ≠ 31.

but to attack and take them on now and again would be nice rather than most of the time allowing them to pat us on the back for losing 2/3-0.

How is that relevant to our wins against them? They weren't patting anyone when we beat them.

there has been no tangible progress especially given the time frame.

There's not been much improvement but as mentioned we win 50% more often (which equates to about 3 extra wins a season :lol:).

Â