Paul Lambert

limpid

We all need to be realistic and recognise that Lambert is out of his depth. We have a half decent squad which is more than capable of keeping us in the PL given proper organisation and management. All the empirical evidence shows that Lambert does not have the right skills. 

The right skills for what? The last 3 seasons have shown Lambert is not out of his depth and has the right skills to keep a cheapskate team in the Premier League.

He may not have the skills to achieve more than that but to pretend he is incapable of keeping a team in the PL is nonsensical when he's done it repeatedly and succeeded at every attempt in doing it.

The empirical evidence (the non relegation of Lambert teams for every season he's managed in the PL) shows exactly the opposite of what you claimed it does.

Hmm….sadly the very fact you are saying that shows how far we have fallen. We accept the bare minimum. He has kept us in the PL twice (in your words repeatedly) which in my opinion (and I stress its MY opinion) is more by luck than judgement.

I'm sure your response will throw Norwich into the mix too, and make it three but I am really struggling to see how you can defend his performance in any way whatsoever. The tactics, the substitutions, the lack of a Plan B, the inability to inspire the players, playing players out of position, the excuses and the disconnect with reality. We will never know whether he would have kept Norwich up, my guess is probably not. Regardless of anything that happened at that club is he not delivering at a bigger club by whatever measure we may use.

I seriously have no idea how he was a success at Norwich. For the record I was made up when we appointed him but its been little more than disappointment most of the time. We the fans (including myself) have repeatedly convinced ourselves that we have turned the corner but its always been a false dawn and for me enough is enough.

I would be very interested to know if you seriously think he has been a success for us, your post alludes to the fact that playing dire football and avoiding relegation is somehow acceptable. We may be cheapskate as you put it but my point is that a better manager could make so much more of us than Lambert is capable of doing. That is why he has to go.

• Like 1

We all need to be realistic and recognise that Lambert is out of his depth. We have a half decent squad which is more than capable of keeping us in the PL given proper organisation and management. All the empirical evidence shows that Lambert does not have the right skills.

The right skills for what? The last 3 seasons have shown Lambert is not out of his depth and has the right skills to keep a cheapskate team in the Premier League.

He may not have the skills to achieve more than that but to pretend he is incapable of keeping a team in the PL is nonsensical when he's done it repeatedly and succeeded at every attempt in doing it.

The empirical evidence (the non relegation of Lambert teams for every season he's managed in the PL) shows exactly the opposite of what you claimed it does.

McLeish kept us in the premier league too remember. Maybe we should have kept him!

Not true, really - there were a lot of people concerned about the lack of creativity, possession and chances but they were shouted SCOREBOARD at.

We dominated possession and chances against QPR. Are the a lot of people happier with that or would they rather we protected leads with men behind the ball?

only one of those chances remotely troubled the keeper

Lambert has also mismanaged expensive previous signings we have made and not got anywhere near the best out of them. Sack him now and bring someone in who can get the maximum out of the team.

If we play the same formation with Gabby and Weimann in the team vs Spurs then it will be proof that Lambert has lost the plot.

Hmm….sadly the very fact you are saying that shows how far we have fallen.

Why are so many people so obsessed with pointing out stuff that show how far we've fallen? Yes, we've fallen very far. Nobody is happy about it but its the reality. Very sad. Much crying.

Maybe its time to stop wallowing in self pity and get over it. Sacking the manager won't put more money in the transfer fund.

I was going to write out a point by point rebuttal but reading through it seems like you've attributed every success he's ever had to blind luck. I've already done that dance, its shit.

The rest is just the same nebulous, cookie cutter complaints some fans of every team in history have had.

I wouldn't call his time here successful but his transfer activity has been relatively successful and he's finished within shouting distance of mid table both seasons despite having to shop in the bargain bin.

I wouldn't mind if he was replaced by a new owner but the mindset of "he needs to go" in our current state without a specific, coherent plan for an alternative is what gets teams into shit. No decent manager is going to want to take a job where the fans expect a lot more than the owner is prepared to fund.

• Like 3

Gotta love how fickle football fans are.

Why?

Not sure what the fans have done wrong.

All over the moon after the first 4 games, 10 points amazing stuff.

We lose the next 4 very tough games. People are back on the managers back

So the entire decision on him rests on just one away match against QPR. 

4 great results, 4 bad results. This is the decider, this one game against QPR. Am I happy we are past the run of bad games with a result or am I out for the managers head on a spike. 

It all comes down to that one game......

That is an entire cop out

Any discerning fan was not over the moon with the first four games....we was grateful for the wins of course were, what did you expect a negative response....If folk had of said 10 points from 4 games ,but the play was not convincing, you would have been all over them like a rash.

Your argument wants its cake and wants to eat it.

we wasn't convinced by the play in the first four games....so don't come out and say what suits your book.

you make it sound like the fans are fickle.....when in fact the truth is the play is a mitigating mess, resulting in the most inconsistent football i ever witnessed at Villa Park.

I have seen good teams and bad teams.....this lot change like the weather and you have the gaul to call us fickle.

Edited by TRO

The argument that we are three points off 8th is just laughable. A few days ago we were only three points off 4th. Presumably in a few weeks we will only be three points off safety.

We all need to be realistic and recognise that Lambert is out of his depth. We have a half decent squad which is more than capable of keeping us in the PL given proper organisation and management. All the empirical evidence shows that Lambert does not have the right skills. This needs to change as soon as possible.

The utter failure to have any Plan B let alone a Plan A. The look of confusion on his face whenever the camera pans onto him. The shambolic incomprehensible post match interviews and by that I am not talking about his accent but his comments which evidence a complete disconnect with actual events. The failure to accept responsibility for the teams performance and the lack of recognition of any of the issues we face. The comment, post QPR, that Beneteke is 6-7 games of being fully fit totally missed the appalling overall team performance. It was all down to Beneteke apparently???

Spurs will batter us on Sunday as I just cannot see us either scoring a goal nor defending effectively for 90 minutes. Mark my words the fans will turn on Sunday and it will be ugly whatever the brave words on this forum. I hope if we lose the fans really do turn on Lambert as the club needs to understand that he is leading us to disaster. We need a change and we need it now.

No amount of brave words on this forum can convince me otherwise.

good post Harry....eloquently put.

Why are so many people so obsessed with pointing out stuff that show how far we've fallen? Yes, we've fallen very far. Nobody is happy about it but its the reality. Very sad. Much crying.

Maybe its time to stop wallowing in self pity and get over it. Sacking the manager won't put more money in the transfer fund.

I was going to write out a point by point rebuttal but reading through it seems like you've attributed every success he's ever had to blind luck. I've already done that dance, its shit.

The rest is just the same nebulous, cookie cutter complaints some fans of every team in history have had.

I wouldn't call his time here successful but his transfer activity has been relatively successful and he's finished within shouting distance of mid table both seasons despite having to shop in the bargain bin.

I wouldn't mind if he was replaced by a new owner but the mindset of "he needs to go" in our current state without a specific, coherent plan for an alternative is what gets teams into shit. No decent manager is going to want to take a job where the fans expect a lot more than the owner is prepared to fund.

..but so many of his signings have deteriorated since they were signed....some have done ok, some stayed much the same.....Bertrand for me went backwards and Sissokho is moving in the same direction backwards

I agree with some that stats only tell you so much.....i watch the game and my opinion is his time is up.

As others have said, I can handle losing those 4 games on the trot against tough teams

You know what, I can even handle a shit loss to QPR.

What I can't handle is our total inability to get anywhere near scoring. 0-13 and very rarely looking dangerous in 450 minutes of football is not acceptable.

What condescending claptrap, we've been in the same shouting distance to relegation as we have been to midtable. And Benteke aside, assuming he starts scoring again, Lambert's transfers haven't been too good at all.

There is only one winner here, apart from our opponents, and that is those who are prepared to bet on us to lose in all remaining games. I will start with a tenner against Spurs, with a side bet of £2 to lose 4-0, and maintain it until my lack of faith starts to cost me. I am still paying to go to each game so my 'support' is there but not my belief.

Edited by George Curtis

Whatever the stats say, there have been games this season that we would not have scored even if the opposition had no keeper. Arsenal and Everton to start with, unless my memory is wrong on this.

Don't talk nonsense. You don't need to go that over the top to emphasise the fact that we are struggling to score goals.

• Like 2

Strange dream that I was in the dressing room after the QPR game and Lambert was going absolutely mental at the players, made them sit and listen to him about how disappointed he was. Anyway next thing I know it is the Spurs game, we line up 4-4-1-1 and win 3-1, Benteke (2) and Vlaar with the other. Weird.

I'll judge Lambert at the end of the season, I do not fear relegation at all this season. So I'll hold off on judgement of how its gone until at least March. We at least deserve to see how we do with Benteke back in the team. He has been hugely missed. 

Can i ask what you see our future under lambert as? What do you think the end of this season will look like? What do you expect from next season?

I think we'll have a strong finish to the season starting from Feb, when the new players fully bed in, Benteke back scoring, Delph back. Good run of 6 games to boot. 

But for now, if we get some results from the next 3 tricky games I think we'll improve from there as we have a nice run of games all the way until mid january. Starting with - Burnley, Palace, Leicester, West Brom, United (H), Swansea, Sunderland, Palace, Leicester. 

We managed to get into a run of form at the beginning of the season with some nice fixtures, I see no reason to think with Benteke back fit we won't do the same again. 

Edited by CVByrne

Â