Paul Lambert

limpid

We need to press the restart button and view the Tottenham game as the first of the season.

No we don't, that's the last thing we need to do. That is just simply sweeping all the issues under the carpet and expecting them to disappear again.

The major issue is winning again and restoring some confidence, I believe that will go some way to improving other problems too. IMO we need to perform as we did against Stoke, showing the same collective desire and resilience. The season starts on Sunday.  :)

The amount of times Monday when the camera was fixed firmly on him and he was just pushing his glasses up his nose, looking absolutely clueless. Before they scored the 1st he was writing with a biro (1st time ive ever seen him do that), he was probably just taking notes from Keane on how to grow a proper beard. He doesnt have or understand tactics or how to counteract other teams tactics. He tries failed methods over and over. Its just not right, how many more defeats before Lerner might see the same thing.

• Like 2

The major issue is winning again and restoring some confidence, I believe that will go some way to improving other problems too. IMO we need to perform as we did against Stoke, showing the same collective desire and resilience. The season starts on Sunday. :)

But you're ignoring the issue as to why we aren't playing well and with any confidence. We can give them all the support we like but if they aren't being coached properly to play as a team and the manager has no real tactical direction then we will continue to get bad results.

Don't get me wrong, I agree that the fans should play their bit to galvinise the team during the 90 minutes and I hate things like booing and hostility during the game (unless it is already lost) but if we have another performance as pathetic as the last two, then Lambert totally deserves the sort of blowback that McLeish received after the Bolton loss and nothing less. In fact, he has deserved that for a good while now but I hold out some slight hope that Villa Park might actually deliver it this time.

Edited by Isa

So who do we think handed Lambert the 4 year deal, Lerner or Fox.

Sadly I suspect it was Fox in an attempt to attain some form of stability. Unfortunately in doing so he completely disregarded the previous two years of shite that Lambert had served up.

I agree that the issues shouldn't be swept under the carpet, but as a fanbase we need to forget about them temporarily and focus on supporting the team just for the 90 minutes against Spurs.

Definately groundhog day!

Don't you think it's a good thing that fans focus all their energy on getting behind the team during games?
It's hard to argue against that.....and bye and large villa fans always have.......6-0away at forest under graham turner when cloughie said he has never seen anything like the villa support....anybody remember.

But this is a two way street.....is their a plan from the players to say "we can't keep treating them like this"?

Edited by TRO

Is Moyes still on the Man U payroll earning silly money or did he get a fixed sum when he was fired?

(As always I rather we looked outside the UK if we're hiring a new manager)

might be wrong but I dont think any foreign manager with no UK mnagerial experience has ever saved a team in a relegation battle on a mid season appointment. look at Solskjaer and Magath last season

Pocahontas at Southampton did.

This is a myth, Southampton weren't on the verge of going down,  they had some very good results under Atkins before he was sacked.

As stated before, they were 15th after 22 games played, 3 points above Reading and Wigan in 18th/19th place.

For me that's very much being in danger of relegation, but fair enough if people disagree

I agree that the issues shouldn't be swept under the carpet, but as a fanbase we need to forget about them temporarily and focus on supporting the team just for the 90 minutes against Spurs.

Definately groundhog day!
Don't you think it's a good thing that fans focus all their energy on getting behind the team during games?
It's hard to argue against that.....and bye and large villa fans always have.......6-0away at forest under graham turner when cloughie said he has never seen anything like the villa support....anybody remember.

But this is a two way street.....is their a plan from the players to say "we can't keep treating them like this"?

I remember, I was there, singing " we want cloughie"

I'm seeing the 'keep Lambert' arguments as.

- We won't attract somebody who can do better.

- We need to get rid of the owner first.

- We need to support the team.

Can anybody share a pro-Lambert argument which is for his ability to manage?

Based on the fact he's had his contract extended, he's clearly met whatever targets were set out for him.

Based on the reported fee's we've paid and contracts we've handed out he's done a good job building a squad of reasonable players that are evidently capable of staying in the Premier League.

Based on some of our highlights of the last few seasons he's able to win more than his fair share of matches against some of the best teams in the world.

Based on improvements in our goals scored, goals conceded and points earned you'd be hard pushed to argue too strongly in his favour. Then again, he's basically kept us where we were while bringing the first team wage bill down and underspending relative to the rest of the league.

Our home form has been **** diabolical though, I can't spin lack of funds into a defence of 10 home league defeats in a season.

• Like 1

It's interesting for me how many misplaced arguments I'm picking up from our debacle in shepards bush.

I read in the birmingham Mail that villa bossed the midfield, that they were dominant....we had most possession, but did nothing with it.

Well for me having possession is not necessarily dominant....if you factor in doing something good with the ball or winning the physical battle during the gaining of possession.....then I would be tempted to call that dominant or bossing the game.

I seen a game where we had the ball because QPR had surrendered territory....not sure why, perhaps they thought the job was only half done from us and that they wasn't fearful of us hurting them?

I generally see a villa team that are not comfortable with the physical challenge and only play near well when are granted space to play in.....unfortunately the premier league is not that benevolent.

Then again, he's basically kept us where we were while bringing the first team wage bill down and underspending relative to the rest of the league.

That would be impressive if McLeish had performed well. But I think we all agree he did a poor job. So Lambert keeping us at that level after 2 years and the opportunity to build his squad is very poor IMO.

It's interesting for me how many misplaced arguments I'm picking up from our debacle in shepards bush.

I read in the birmingham Mail that villa bossed the midfield, that they were dominant....we had most possession, but did nothing with it.

Well for me having possession is not necessarily dominant....if you factor in doing something good with the ball or winning the physical battle during the gaining of possession.....then I would be tempted to call that dominant or bossing the game.

I seen a game where we had the ball because QPR had surrendered territory....not sure why, perhaps they thought the job was only half done from us and that they wasn't fearful of us hurting them?

I generally see a villa team that are not comfortable with the physical challenge and only play near well when are granted space to play in.....unfortunately the premier league is not that benevolent.

Exactly.

Same as West Ham last season once ahead, sat deeper and allowed us to have the ball in meaningless areas and break if we over-commit. Can't say i'd be too worried if I was them about us unlocking their defence.

We all need to be realistic and recognise that Lambert is out of his depth. We have a half decent squad which is more than capable of keeping us in the PL given proper organisation and management. All the empirical evidence shows that Lambert does not have the right skills. 

The right skills for what? The last 3 seasons have shown Lambert is not out of his depth and has the right skills to keep a cheapskate team in the Premier League.

He may not have the skills to achieve more than that but to pretend he is incapable of keeping a team in the PL is nonsensical when he's done it repeatedly and succeeded at every attempt in doing it.

The empirical evidence (the non relegation of Lambert teams for every season he's managed in the PL) shows exactly the opposite of what you claimed it does.

Exactly.

The squad isn't that bad at all and the fact all Lambert has been able to do is tread water with his smash and grab style proves he is out of his depth at this level.

This is what the poster ArteSuave has quoted was eluding to also I believe, not the fact he can keep us up, which certainly isn't a given imo.

Edited by penguin

The big difference is that the team at his disposal is good enough for 10th-12th.

Soo 1 or 2 more wins in either season he's had here then? Not exactly unforgivable underachievement really.

Maybe we have been a few wins short of our squads potential but we've clearly budgeted for 17th.

If he'd got less value for money in the transfer market would it be more acceptable? I doubt it.

Â