Paul Lambert

limpid

Maybe, I'd hope we were able to put together a decent run at some point in what's left of the season.

What about next year? What do you think the future is under Lambert?

I'm interested to know what you think we can build with him as the manager.

What's the excuse for the awful football? You can still try to play decent football whilst staying up. Most fans understand the financial constraints but the football hasn't changed one bit since PL got here. If anyone can give me a good reason why our football is so bad to watch and that it'll improve I would support Lambert as I think having stability and letting a manager build a club is the way forward. The only problem is I've seen nothing to suggest we are building anything or any form of progression.

Hmm….sadly the very fact you are saying that shows how far we have fallen. We accept the bare minimum. He has kept us in the PL twice (in your words repeatedly) which in my opinion (and I stress its MY opinion) is more by luck than judgement.

I'm sure your response will throw Norwich into the mix too, and make it three but I am really struggling to see how you can defend his performance in any way whatsoever. The tactics, the substitutions, the lack of a Plan B, the inability to inspire the players, playing players out of position, the excuses and the disconnect with reality. We will never know whether he would have kept Norwich up, my guess is probably not. Regardless of anything that happened at that club is he not delivering at a bigger club by whatever measure we may use.

I seriously have no idea how he was a success at Norwich. For the record I was made up when we appointed him but its been little more than disappointment most of the time. We the fans (including myself) have repeatedly convinced ourselves that we have turned the corner but its always been a false dawn and for me enough is enough.

I would be very interested to know if you seriously think he has been a success for us, your post alludes to the fact that playing dire football and avoiding relegation is somehow acceptable. We may be cheapskate as you put it but my point is that a better manager could make so much more of us than Lambert is capable of doing. That is why he has to go.

Now you need to be realistic. We're 9 games into the season, we've played a run of horrible fixtures with at least 2 key players missing from each of those games, Benteke, Delph, Senderos, Vlaar.

But despite this, our average points per game is higher than either of the previous two seasons, and MILES better than our points per game without Benteke from those two seasons. As it stands we're on for 42.2 points. That would be 12th place in last years league. Would 12th spot be a good result this season? Of course it would.

We all know we are going to pick up the vast majority of our points against teams who ended bottom 12 last season as there is a big gap between Southampton, Spurs, Everton etc.. and the other 12, it was 7 points last season. 

So with that in mind we've played 4 teams from the bottom 12 and won two of those games, drawn 1 and lost 1. That's 1.75 points per game. I think we should just let the manager and the team show they can get into a run of picking up points against those sides, especially as we get a run of 8 of them from 9 fixtures after the next 3 games. Plus we're unbeaten at home from those games too. 

If we are down on 20 points from 19 games by the turn of the year I'll believe we need to start thinking of getting a new manager. But I think we'll be on 23 points or above.  Half way is the only fair time to really give a strong case for the performance of the team. 

I wouldn't call his time here successful but his transfer activity has been relatively successful and he's finished within shouting distance of mid table both seasons despite having to shop in the bargain bin.

Not sure how you are defining "mid table" but if you take it as the average points gained by the 10th and 11 clubs, in 2012-3 we were 4 points off mid table and last season we were 7 points off, so it seems the shouting is getting louder and more remote as Lambert's time goes on..

Whatever the stats say, there have been games this season that we would not have scored even if the opposition had no keeper. Arsenal and Everton to start with, unless my memory is wrong on this.

Don't talk nonsense. You don't need to go that over the top to emphasise the fact that we are struggling to score goals.

What shots did the keeper have to save during either game? Nothing over the top about that or nonsense.

I think the most prevalent points over the past couple of pages are as follows;

- No one enjoys where we are at the moment

- No one enjoys watching us at the moment

- Some people think Lambert is not using this squad to his potential (bad management)

- Some people think Lambert IS using this squad to it's max potential (you buy cheap player, you get crap)

The overall opinion is that no one is happy, but some think we should be tactically more astute (who doesn't?), others think "well, what can you expect?"

Either way, none of us are happy, but some are more willing to live with failure, and others aren't.

- Some people think we should get rid

- Some people think there's no one better that will take a job with no funds available

• Like 1

What's the excuse for the awful football? You can still try to play decent football whilst staying up. Most fans understand the financial constraints but the football hasn't changed one bit since PL got here. If anyone can give me a good reason why our football is so bad to watch and that it'll improve I would support Lambert as I think having stability and letting a manager build a club is the way forward. The only problem is I've seen nothing to suggest we are building anything or any form of progression.

Wigan, Burnley, Bolton, Fulham & Leicester are saying hi

To be fair we're bigger than those clubs and have better players than those clubs. They're not an excuse for how we play football.

• Like 1

Maybe, I'd hope we were able to put together a decent run at some point in what's left of the season.

What about next year? What do you think the future is under Lambert?

I'm interested to know what you think we can build with him as the manager.

Well I need to see how this team does, especially in the new year from Feb onwards when hopefully we've a fit squad and can try play the style we want in those 6 games. 

If we can put together say 5 wins and 3 draws at home from the bottom 12 teams I'll be happy with the progress there. It's those games where you need to consistently rely on points. If you pick up 18-20 points from those 12 home games you give yourself the solid home base to build on. Then you can then focus on the added points that get you higher up the table.

I'd be happy with 44 points this season, accumulated via turning 3 less home defeats into a win and two draws and one more draw away from home. That'll be 6 points and 4 less defeats. 

dont forget the classic Tony Mowbray West Brom team

• Like 1

The thing that irks me is that we have pretty good players.  Certainly Guzan, Vlaar, Cissokho, Delph, Cleverly, Sanchez, Benteke would get into most sides in and around us.  We should be doing better with those players.

Previously I understood why we were poor.  Players like Holman, Baker, Clark, Herd, Bannan (waits for Con), Al Ahmadi, Sylla made us a pretty poor team but now we have a fairly good squad and PL should be getting more out of them.

Edited by omariqy

Hmm….sadly the very fact you are saying that shows how far we have fallen.

Why are so many people so obsessed with pointing out stuff that show how far we've fallen? Yes, we've fallen very far. Nobody is happy about it but its the reality. Very sad. Much crying.

Maybe its time to stop wallowing in self pity and get over it. Sacking the manager won't put more money in the transfer fund.

I was going to write out a point by point rebuttal but reading through it seems like you've attributed every success he's ever had to blind luck. I've already done that dance, its shit.

The rest is just the same nebulous, cookie cutter complaints some fans of every team in history have had.

I wouldn't call his time here successful but his transfer activity has been relatively successful and he's finished within shouting distance of mid table both seasons despite having to shop in the bargain bin.

I wouldn't mind if he was replaced by a new owner but the mindset of "he needs to go" in our current state without a specific, coherent plan for an alternative is what gets teams into shit. No decent manager is going to want to take a job where the fans expect a lot more than the owner is prepared to fund.

Last time I check this was a forum where fans expressed their opinions. I have expressed mine. You don't agree with them but I fail to see how your opinion (which you are entitled to express) is in any way strengthened by abusing me.

The thing that irks me is that we have pretty good players.  Certainly Guzan, Vlaar, Cissokho, Delph, Cleverly, Sanchez, Benteke would get into most sides in and around us.  We should be doing better with those players.

slightly in Lambert defence but their hasnt been a game that all of them have been available this season

It think his times up. We are going backwards and the club is in free fall if its possible to do both!

OK there are all sorts of issues at the club but for me its all about what we see on the pitch which is dire. There are two good options in Pulis and Moyes who are both available. If the former was prepared to take on Palace last season I think he would jump at the chance of managing us.

To be fair we're bigger than those clubs and have better players than those clubs. They're not an excuse for how we play football.

How do you quantify players as good and bad?

Fulham had Senderos and Hangeland in CB positions and I'd say they are both better than what we had.

Richardson now plays for us and keeps our players from last season out the team.

Kasani is a better striker than Gabby & Wiemann in my opinion.

Leiscester have Cambiasso, OK, he's 34, but I still think he's better than our midfielders other than maybe Delph. 

If you look at the teams I mentioned, we'd have some of their players walk into our team, but people find it hard to compare because we see our players every week, rather than highlights on MOTD and the two times we play them each season.

Villa have no right to call ourselves better than anyone, every team wants to win and none of the teams want to concede if you go on the QPR boards before Monday you'd have seen them talking about how they should be picking up points against Villa because we're not that good.

We have to get that into our heads.  We're pants now. :lol:

• Like 1

dont forget the classic Tony Mowbray West Brom team

Do you really believe this team is incapable of staying up and playing better football?

It think his times up. We are going backwards and the club is in free fall if its possible to do both!

OK there are all sorts of issues *1* at the club but for me its all about what we see on the pitch which is dire. There are two good options in Pulis and Moyes who are both available. If the former was prepared to take on Palace last season I think he would jump at the chance of managing us.

1. Yea, no money being one..

2. And why did he leave Palace? Because the chairman wouldn't buy him the player he wanted... if you refer to point 1. you might see a problem with him coming here.

You don't have a solution that doesn't involve lots of money, which is exactly what we haven't got.

Until you can cough up enough money to pay off the 4 years remaining on Lamberts contract, he's not going anywhere, unless the threat of relegation is completely in our faces.

If you can think of a solution, please let Randy Lerner know, you might get an exec job at Villa.

• Like 1

Â