Paul Lambert

limpid

One thing that I've learned over the past few years is that it is impossible to predict Villa results yet year in year out  we get the same tedious doom and gloom predictions.  My favourite example of this happened at the tail end of the Houllier  season when the collective soothsayers of this forum predicted, with know-all certainty, zero points from Villa's final two games v Liverpool and Arsenal...*sigh*...

Some are better at predicting than others. I think you will find my January made prediction of 'we will be lucky to win a game' for the fixtures in February were pretty spot on. 

He's going no where unless Randy sells up. Which is incredibly unlikely. You may as well post about how you're gunna spend your lottery winnings, because it's all just wishful thinking.

I've won the lottery!!!

Happy days.

• Like 1

He probably knows he's have been sacked by now if we didnt have an owner who is extremely reluctant to make anymore payouts, we all can probably guess he'll start next season in the dugout at VP but had we not been in the situation were in financially or it was any of the other 20 clubs he'd have been long gone. 

Our last 6 games

Crystal Palace - Away - 1

Southampton - Home - 0

Swansea - Away - 1

Hull City - Home - 1

Man City - Away - 0

Spurs - Away - 0

These are my predictions (and I think I am being generous) so if we finish the season on 37 points I think that will be enough to stay up but to be honest it will be worse than last season and that is unacceptable.

Maybe a point at home to Hull but can't see us getting anything out of Palace and Swansea.

Palace are organised and determined and Swansea will probably play us off the park.

Let's just give Lambert another 3 years to give us more of the same tripe we've seen for the last 2 years!

Right. Because everyone who wants Lambert replaced is that over the top and black and white whilst those who don't are the definition of balance.

It seems fairly clear there's a lack of balance from all directions.

To me, at least, it seems blatantly clear that the record at home is indefensible. It's abysmal. For that alone, anyone calling for the manager is on firm ground. The you can add in the oft cited record thrashing, the Bradford debacle and the rest and it's an entirely valid view to hold.

Equally, there are some good points in defence of keeping the manager in his job. And these are not all based on blind faith or head in the clouds optimism or delusion.

It seems clear that a club that keeps changing it's manager is setting itself up for continued expense and disruption. If we accept there;'s a plan in place to have the club sustainable, then whether we like it or not, we also have to accept that getting to that position from one where it clearly isn't and wan't is going to be a bumpy ride at best, and one in which performances and results fluctuate wildly. You cannot go from a squad of mostly end of their career, low resale value players to one of younger. lower cost inexperienced players without that ride. It never happens anywhere. The managers involved in that transition are going to get the stick that comes as a result of that. It's a heck of a job. How do you rebuild a squad, on a budget, while having few if any players of any value to sell to use the money to get better and cheaper players? You can't. Not consistently. Results will be poor to average while that transition goes on.

As human beings, no-one is perfect. Mistakes will be made. Buys will fail, players you depend on will get injured, or lose form, or get suspended, or take longer to settle than you hope. Some will look bargains. Others won't. You'll look smart if you have 2 players bought to cover a position and one gets injured. You'll look unlucky if they both get injured, and you'll look daft if you don't buy cover or replacements where the squad is already weak. That's your lot. And for only some of that if much can anyone really with full justice say "you deserve the sack".

No body with Villa connections likes where we are. Not a soul.

Personally, the threat of further upheaval and disruption just about tips the balance towards keeping him on to at least next Chrtistmas time to see if a pattern of play, some experience and an significant improvement inhome results and performances can emerge. It's a fairly close thing, though.

The board need to back him properly in the summer, injured players need to get fit and the whole place needs a lift.

Sorry but this just completely ignores the fact that if somebody isn't very good at his job, then sticking with him come what may is never going to work.  Two and a half years of Paul Lambert's "football"?  No ta.

"see if a pattern of play, some experience and an significant improvement inhome results and performances can emerge"

So, he only has to right everything he's doing wrong now then?  Can't see that happening in 6 months to be honest.

One thing that I've learned over the past few years is that it is impossible to predict Villa results yet year in year out we get the same tedious doom and gloom predictions. My favourite example of this happened at the tail end of the Houllier season when the collective soothsayers of this forum predicted, with know-all certainty, zero points from Villa's final two games v Liverpool and Arsenal...*sigh*...

Someone made a prediction about football and was wrong? Well that's shocking.

Right. Because everyone who wants Lambert replaced is that over the top and black and white whilst those who don't are the definition of balance.

It seems fairly clear there's a lack of balance from all directions.

To me, at least, it seems blatantly clear that the record at home is indefensible. It's abysmal. For that alone, anyone calling for the manager is on firm ground. The you can add in the oft cited record thrashing, the Bradford debacle and the rest and it's an entirely valid view to hold.

Equally, there are some good points in defence of keeping the manager in his job. And these are not all based on blind faith or head in the clouds optimism or delusion.

It seems clear that a club that keeps changing it's manager is setting itself up for continued expense and disruption. If we accept there;'s a plan in place to have the club sustainable, then whether we like it or not, we also have to accept that getting to that position from one where it clearly isn't and wan't is going to be a bumpy ride at best, and one in which performances and results fluctuate wildly. You cannot go from a squad of mostly end of their career, low resale value players to one of younger. lower cost inexperienced players without that ride. It never happens anywhere. The managers involved in that transition are going to get the stick that comes as a result of that. It's a heck of a job. How do you rebuild a squad, on a budget, while having few if any players of any value to sell to use the money to get better and cheaper players? You can't. Not consistently. Results will be poor to average while that transition goes on.

As human beings, no-one is perfect. Mistakes will be made. Buys will fail, players you depend on will get injured, or lose form, or get suspended, or take longer to settle than you hope. Some will look bargains. Others won't. You'll look smart if you have 2 players bought to cover a position and one gets injured. You'll look unlucky if they both get injured, and you'll look daft if you don't buy cover or replacements where the squad is already weak. That's your lot. And for only some of that if much can anyone really with full justice say "you deserve the sack".

No body with Villa connections likes where we are. Not a soul.

Personally, the threat of further upheaval and disruption just about tips the balance towards keeping him on to at least next Chrtistmas time to see if a pattern of play, some experience and an significant improvement inhome results and performances can emerge. It's a fairly close thing, though.

The board need to back him properly in the summer, injured players need to get fit and the whole place needs a lift.

Sorry but this just completely ignores the fact that if somebody isn't very good at his job, then sticking with him come what may is never going to work. Two and a half years of Paul Lambert's "football"? No ta.

"see if a pattern of play, some experience and an significant improvement inhome results and performances can emerge"

So, he only has to right everything he's doing wrong now then? Can't see that happening in 6 months to be honest.

I really don't see what it will achieve giving a manager, who went backwards after a first abysmal season, more time.

I think he'll completly lose the home support by the end of the season and they won't have much patience with him next year.

I think we could potentially finish with less than 40 points. If he keeps his job after that and everything else will just show how little the owner thinks of us now.

Let's not give Lambert the chance to break even more records. Losing to Fulham for the first time at home in the league since 1973 was the latest beauty to add to his collection of failure.

I completely agree. From day one I'll happily admit I wanted Lambert. I thought he could rebuild us but time has proven that he's just not upto the task and with failing to do so he's damaged his own reputation.

I think the only remaining positive outcome would be for us to go our separate ways.

Â