Paul Lambert

limpid

I wonder, is Lambert one of the misfortunate people that inherited the rubbish created by MON?

I would say that the person who inherited any rubbish (if it were rubbish) was Gerard Houllier yet he managed to achieve 9th place in the league (losing only 4 games at home) and a points total that Lambert would w*nk over.

9 ClubLogo.gif Aston Villa 38 8 7 4 26 19 4 5 10 22 40 -11 48

I just think that Lambert inherited rubbish from McLeish and made it worse.

Why doesn't Mcleish get credit for the loan signing of Keane who's goals probably kept us up? For beating Chelsea 3-1 at Stamford Bridge? for not having the worst home record in our history?

If Lambert had managed the above it would be mentioned. (Apart from the last point of course which is something that never should have happened regardless who is in charge).

I wonder, is Lambert one of the misfortunate people that inherited the rubbish created by MON?

I would say that the person who inherited any rubbish (if it were rubbish) was Gerard Houllier yet he managed to achieve 9th place in the league (losing only 4 games at home) and a points total that Lambert would w*nk over.

He inhertited it all from MON, Houllier and Mcleish.

9th masked over a clear relegation battle and also helped by Ashely Young / Downing and Bent who werre also playing for England together.

• Like 1

If the team McLeish had was so shit why wasn't he praised for keeping us up? I'm sure that year most of the comments were about McLeish performing badly rather than the team being awful.

Nice try. It was both actually from

what I can recall.

It was indeed both but there was more blame pointed towards Mcleish than the team. In hindsight does this now mean Mcleish did a good job for keeping us up?

I think we were lucky to survive given the performances and results in the latter half of that season.

Why doesn't Mcleish get credit for the loan signing of Keane who's goals probably kept us up? For beating Chelsea 3-1 at Stamford Bridge? for not having the worst home record in our history?

If Lambert had managed the above it would be mentioned. (Apart from the last point of course which is something that never should have happened regardless who is in charge).

Why doesn't he get credit for beating any of the top 4 or a good southampton team. Because when lambert does it it's called luck.

Also why doesn't lambert get credit for signing benteke? also becasue we got lucky apparently.

Edited by villan_007

9th masked over a clear relegation battle and also helped by Ashely Young / Downing and Bent who werre also playing for England together.

The poor sod. He never had a chance.

The poor sod. He never had a chance.

He does, if given the correct amount of time and backing. Otherwise it's groundhog day in the Villapark dugout

• Like 1

Why doesn't he get credit for beating any of the top 4 or a good southampton team. Because when lambert does it it's called luck.

Also why doesn't lambert get credit for signing benteke? also becasue we got lucky apparently.

Come on mate you know Lambert has been given his fair share of credit for all of the above mentioned. The Southampton game was lucky though but we'll give him that too. The Bentake signing was easily his most inspired piece of work while at Villa and if anything is probably the main reasons he still has a job. How long will he be able to keep using that one though? I don't remember Mcleish getting credit for anything he ever did! Lambert has had it easy from the fans really. Edited by Amo69

I am no fan of McLeish, in fact I think he is one of the worst managers ever to grace the Premier League. However, if he was currently in charge he would be getting dogs abuse. The only reason Lambert isn't getting it from some quarters is because he is not McLeish.

• Like 2

I am stunned you're defending Mcleish here, stunned. You must have been in frigging coma during that season.

I could say the same about people defending this season.
NO ONE IS DEFENDING THIS SEASON. [text removed by mods]

NO ONE THINKS THIS SEASON IS OK.

The only debate is between those who believe that Lambert is the Anti-Christ and those who can see that the embarrassing shit we have seen is not solely his fault

(Yes Mods I accept the warning points)

That's a bit harsh. Anyway I doubt many think Lambert is the anti Christ or that the situation at Villa is all his fault. I think the point that anti-Lambert fans are making is that they feel they have seen enough to suggest he is not part of the solution either. That's very different to hating the guy.

Edited by blandy
  • Like 1

I am no fan of McLeish, in fact I think he is one of the worst managers ever to grace the Premier League. However, if he was currently in charge he would be getting dogs abuse. The only reason Lambert isn't getting it from some quarters is because he is not McLeish.

Indeed he would be, because if he was he would have been here for almost 3 seasons. It is no way as simplistic as that.

I am stunned you're defending Mcleish here, stunned. You must have been in frigging coma during that season.

I could say the same about people defending this season.

NO ONE IS DEFENDING THIS SEASON. [text removed by mods]

NO ONE THINKS THIS SEASON IS OK.

The only debate is between those who believe that Lambert is the Anti-Christ and those who can see that the embarrassing shit we have seen is not solely his fault.

(Yes Mods I accept the warning points)

Right. Because everyone who wants Lambert replaced is that over the top and black and white whilst those who don't are the definition of balance :rolleyes:

Indeed he would be, because if he was he would have been here for almost 3 seasons. It is no way as simplistic as that.

Perhaps I should have made myself more clear for those that misread stuff.

If McLeish was in charge NOW (not last season or the season before) he would be getting dogs abuse.

Perhaps I should have made myself more clear for those that misread stuff.If McLeish was in charge NOW (not last season or the season before) he would be getting dogs abuse.

Any manager in charge now would be getting dogs abuse. If it was Mcleish in charge there would be riots!

Right. Because everyone who wants Lambert replaced is that over the top and black and white whilst those who don't are the definition of balance.

It seems fairly clear there's a lack of balance from all directions.

To me, at least, it seems blatantly clear that the record at home is indefensible. It's abysmal. For that alone, anyone calling for the manager is on firm ground. The you can add in the oft cited record thrashing, the Bradford debacle and the rest and it's an entirely valid view to hold.

Equally, there are some good points in defence of keeping the manager in his job. And these are not all based on blind faith or head in the clouds optimism or delusion.

It seems clear that a club that keeps changing it's manager is setting itself up for continued expense and disruption. If we accept there;'s a plan in place to have the club sustainable, then whether we like it or not, we also have to accept that getting to that position from one where it clearly isn't and wan't is going to be a bumpy ride at best, and one in which performances and results fluctuate wildly. You cannot go from a squad of mostly end of their career, low resale value players to one of younger. lower cost inexperienced players without that ride. It never happens anywhere. The managers involved in that transition are going to get the stick that comes as a result of that. It's a heck of a job. How do you rebuild a squad, on a budget, while having few if any players of any value to sell to use the money to get better and cheaper players? You can't. Not consistently. Results will be poor to average while that transition goes on.

As human beings, no-one is perfect. Mistakes will be made. Buys will fail, players you depend on will get injured, or lose form, or get suspended, or take longer to settle than you hope. Some will look bargains. Others won't. You'll look smart if you have 2 players bought to cover a position and one gets injured. You'll look unlucky if they both get injured, and you'll look daft if you don't buy cover or replacements where the squad is already weak. That's your lot. And for only some of that if much can anyone really with full justice say "you deserve the sack".

No body with Villa connections likes where we are. Not a soul.

Personally, the threat of further upheaval and disruption just about tips the balance towards keeping him on to at least next Chrtistmas time to see if a pattern of play, some experience and an significant improvement inhome results and performances can emerge. It's a fairly close thing, though.

The board need to back him properly in the summer, injured players need to get fit and the whole place needs a lift.

Blandy has spoken.

[\thread]

McLeish had a more experienced and expensively assembled squad but still managed to achieve Villa's lowest points total in 42 years. Lambert bested McLeish in a single season by beginning to overhaul the squad with players some deem as 'crap'. The selective fact finding and outrage is to be expected.

Â