Paul Lambert

limpid

If we finish say, 12th instead of 15th then that's progress to me, especially with the injuries we've had.

Even if we finish with less points?

Yes, for reasons I and others have already been through.

higher position and think more points than this time last year means foundation is steady

more progress so far under Lambert than ever under Big Eck

If position and points is the sign of improvement I think we should wait until the end on the season.

higher position and think more points than this time last year means foundation is steady

If position and points is the sign of improvement I think we should wait until the end on the season.

In terms of points, last season after 32 games we had 33 points, therefore this season and after a further £20m investment in the squad we are 1 point better off. Wow what great strides we are making.

Funnily enough under Big Eck after 32 games we had 35 points 1 point more than this year.

Therefore McLeish is better than Lambert if all the people that justify Lambert's reign are to be believed using their logic?

Any Mcleish comparrison is moronic, It's as simple as that really. Different set of players, circumstances.

No need for the abuse.

Any McLeish reference was tongue in cheek because people had mentioned and compared Lambert reign to him.

That league table position graph is misleading, go look at the points for a real sign. Each season is different.

Points is by far the best indication of progress as it is easily measurable. League position depends on the standard of teams in the league that particular year. IMO there have been lots of poor teams with poor managers this year.

Id consider it more progress as well if this season we continued to build on what we did last season, which for the most part was try and play good, quick, passing football.

What I don't consider progress is poor results and awful football. I can live with one, but not both.

In terms of points, last season after 32 games we had 33 points, therefore this season and after a further £20m investment in the squad we are 1 point better off. Wow what great strides we are making.

Funnily enough under Big Eck after 32 games we had 35 points 1 point more than this year.

Therefore McLeish is better than Lambert if all the people that justify Lambert's reign are to be believed using their logic?

Any Mcleish comparrison is moronic, It's as simple as that really. Different set of players, circumstances.

No need for the abuse.

Any McLeish reference was tongue in cheek because people had mentioned and compared Lambert reign to him.

Didn't mean for there to be any, was generalising, wasn't aimed at you.

If we finish say, 12th instead of 15th then that's progress to me, especially with the injuries we've had.

I'd disagree that less points = progress as it obviously doesn't.

There have been many unfortunate injuries go against us this season, but you'd still expect to match if not better the previous seasons performance.

I just don't understand how people can reasonably expect a complete squad overhaul with cheaper players coming in and playing attractive, attacking, successful football to happen in less than two seasons.  Football is mad.

There have been many unfortunate injuries go against us this season, but you'd still expect to match if not better the previous seasons performance.

I just don't understand how people can reasonably expect a complete squad overhaul with cheaper players coming in and playing attractive, attacking, successful football to happen in less than two seasons. Football is mad.

I don't understand how breaking club records and losing 47% of the times is acceptable. Support for managers is mad.

I state is Lambert is the fifth longest serving manager in the premier league and get moaned at as it "lacks context" yet the league table position is being used to demonstrate progress is this not subject to the same argument?

Edited by penguin

He's spent £40 million (more like £ 30 million net) on re building 3/4 of a new premier league squad. To expect him to be doing better is a rather simplistic view in my opinion.

I'm sorry but that is just a barefaced lie. We haven't made £10m on player sells since he has arrived.

I don't get this we are doing shit sack the manager.

Err...that's usually how it works. The defences of Lambert's reign and why we should keep him get more and more strawman by the day. The owner being 'shit' too doesn't excuse Lambert's failure despite having the resources to do better. If he can't achieve anything on a budget then he really shouldn't have come here in the first place.

Edited by Isa

I just don't understand how people can reasonably expect a complete squad overhaul with cheaper players coming in and playing attractive, attacking, successful football to happen in less than two seasons. Football is mad.

I don't understand how breaking club records and losing 47% of the times is acceptable. Support for managers is mad.

We've broken club records this season?

How come you haven't mentioned this before?

I did.

You must have missed it while repeating the same Lambert defence and thinking of witty ways to respond to those who repeat things you don't like.

I did.

You must have missed it while repeating the same Lambert defence and thinking of witty ways to respond to those who repeat things you don't like.

I don't like breaking club records in a negative manner, you're right.

I guess I just like to hear constructive criticism or something that resembles a reasoned view rather than "we've broken club records and he's lost 47% of the times" every **** page.  But each to their own.

• Like 1

Haha shock.

There's no need to be condescending.

I don't think many people care about these records - as I said, most of them are pretty much meaningless.

Haha shock.

Mantis has a valid point here. Though it has been done to death, I'll try to summarize:

Some seasons the spread of points is more even than others. Last year ManUre won with 89 points and were 11 points clear at the top. This year Liverpool need to win every remaining game to equal that point score and even then (barring the extremely unlikely) they will not win the competition by 11 points.

Yet the result for both sides would be the same: They win the league.

Similarly with points and relegation. There have been teams that hit 40 points and still got relegated. There have been teams have managed less but remained safe.

As such, you cannot look at points in isolation. It needs to be taken within the context of league position.

So the question again arises, why was comparing our points total to the same stage last season never challanged as a valid method of proving our progression this season before?

Haha shock.

Mantis has a valid point here. Though it has been done to death, I'll try to summarize:

Some seasons the spread of points is more even than others. Last year ManUre won with 89 points and were 11 points clear at the top. This year Liverpool need to win every remaining game to equal that point score and even then (barring the extremely unlikely) they will not win the competition by 11 points.

Yet the result for both sides would be the same: They win the league.

Similarly with points and relegation. There have been teams that hit 40 points and still got relegated. There have been teams have managed less but remained safe.

As such, you cannot look at points in isolation. It needs to be taken within the context of league position.

But using league postion rather than points as an indicator as progression doesn't make sense to me. As the points are completely down to how you've performed whilst league postion is influenced by how other teams have performed. What if next season three teams finish on 20 points and we finish a couple of places higher than this year, does that mean we've made progress?

Â