Paul Lambert

limpid

I enjoy every game but I'm not deluded enough to think that changing a manager who can evidently spot an ok player with another manager who may or may not be able to will make the slightest bit of difference in the grand scheme of things.

I suspect you enjoy moaning about managers as much as I like watching the matches.

Well the way we play you can't really enjoy it so I guess I don't enjoy moaning about managers.

And in terms of being deluded. Palace last year and blues at the moment are showing instant improvement just because of new ideas from a new man.

Edited by DCJonah
  • Like 1

Nothings changed here I see, still the same ridiculous nonsense being spouted. 

Wonder if you'd have the conviction of your beliefs to contact all the chairmen, globally, and inform them of the revelation that they've been wasting millions each year on a completely irrelevant member of staff (Would obviously be rewarded handsomely). Surely you have compelling evidence to back up such a controversial claim, or then again it could be complete bollocks to supplement your agenda.

Either way, back under my rock I go.

Wonder if you'd have the conviction of your beliefs to contact all the chairmen, globally, and inform them of the revelation that they've been wasting millions each year on a completely irrelevant member of staff (Would obviously be rewarded handsomely). Surely you have compelling evidence to back up such a controversial claim, or then again it could be complete bollocks to supplement your agenda.

Where did I say the job was irrelevant? Money dictates roughly where you finish in the league, there still has to be a manager there to facilitate that. A truly great manager will get a team to consistently over achieve - Alex Ferguson in 12-13. A poor manager can get a team relegated (Dowie? Kinner/Shearer?)

You obviously believe that Paul Lambert is in the latter camp but his transfers and the fact we have actually stayed in the league tend to suggest his is actually capable of doing the job. Vasty overachieving, no. But at the moment in time he is good enough, and sacking him and replacing him with some else equally qualified won't make a blind bit of difference.

Edited by a m ole

Based on recent posts it seems that we must all decide whether a teams performance is pre-determined by the money spent OR on the quality of the support, but it can't possibly be in some measure both.

We should have a poll:

The exclusive and sole determiner of a team's performance is...

-the manager

-the transfer funds spent

-the plushness of the team seats on the bench

-the beard of it's center half

-the extreme unipolar views of its fans

• Like 2

Being objective (and putting my tin hat on) Aston villa currently have a manager who is around the level they deserve. A club without huge crowds, who aren't fashionable, and who aren't seeing significant support from the ownership - both financially or otherwise. In a word, uninspiring.

Let's be clear - there's no ambition from the owner to take a gamble, and replacing Lambert would be that. Could we get someone a bit better (maybe finish top ten instead of expecting 12-16th)? Probably yes. But is it worth it (in Learner's eyes) when the downside is a possible busted flush and relegation? Clearly not (again, in Lerner's eyes).

We're not going to see Wenger or Fergie here. We're also not going to see Dowie or Shearer. We're in the Pulis / foreign young manager bracket. Uninspiring or unknown.

So the question becomes, would you want to risk rocking the boat (and I'm not saying it's a good boat) for the potential upside of a few league places? Or is Lambert destined to take us down at some point so we should replace him now?

Personally I don't enjoy Lambert - I want him to succeed purely because I think we're stuck with him until Lerner sells. Any talk of a replacement is, in my opinion, complete fantasy.

• Like 3

Where did I say the job was irrelevant? Money dictates roughly where you finish in the league, there still has to be a manager there to facilitate that. A truly great manager will get a team to consistently over achieve - Alex Ferguson in 12-13. A poor manager can get a team relegated (Dowie? Kinner/Shearer?)

You obviously believe that Paul Lambert is in the latter camp but his transfers and the fact we have actually stayed in the league tend to suggest his is actually capable of doing the job. Vasty overachieving, no. But at the moment in time he is good enough, and sacking him and replacing him with some else equally qualified won't make a blind bit of difference.

You are right, sacking him and replacing him with someone equally as qualified (I am hoping you meant equally as competent) wouldn't make a blind bit of difference. We don't need someone the same as Lambert we need someone better. I think you will find that is what many are asking for.

Might as well lock this now until either a new owner comes in, Lerner re-invests heavily, we get relegated or, we actually win something.

You have 4 possibilities there, I wonder which one is more likely to happen. Poll anyone?

• Like 1

Might as well lock this now until either a new owner comes in, Lerner re-invests heavily, we get relegated or, we actually win something.

You have 4 possibilities there, I wonder which one is more likely to happen. Poll anyone?

To be honest, it was all tongue in cheek stuff, in response to Vancvillain's post. Not saying that Vancvillain's post wasn't any good, more that it was pretty conclusive in its content.

A poll of those four options sounds interesting though. Maybe a 5th of "Lambert leaving" could be added to a poll of "Which of these do you think will happen first"?

Lerner will never re-invest heavily and so in all probability that also rules us out winning anything until he leaves. So that just leaves us with either being relegated or him being able to sell us before it happens. I think more than likely we'll get sold before we drop but that doesn't mean it'll happen anytime soon.

I think a lot of that TV money was used to cover what we used to lose each year, with about £20m wiggle room to spare. If you add the money he made available to buy Cleverley it's about £15m he gave Lambert. I find it very hard to see Lerner using any of his own money any more so you're going to have to look to the manager to have £15-20m a year to spend each season (not window). I think I'd fancy Lambert to do better with that money than a lot of managers out there from what I've seen over the past few seasons.

Edit:  I also like that trying to have any sort of reason or looking beyond the manager for potential problems instantly makes you a "Lambert defender".  **** hell

That doesn't make you a lambert defender.  Defending Lambert at every opportunity and for everything does.  Also it's not meant in a bad way, you're entitled to defend the manager if you don't believe things are his fault.

The more money you spend on a squad, the better that squad is.  The better manager you have, the better that squad performs.

There are many examples of the first part of that statement not being true.  It doesn't take into account the players a manager inherits or any young players coming through.  It doesn't take into account excellent work in the transfer market by a manager either.  

Without spending a decent amount of money, we won't improve from being a bottom half Premier League team.  Without a promise of spending decent money, we won't attract a manager who is capable of doing significantly more than Paul Lambert is currently doing.

Ah the old no one could do better defence again.  When you think how poor it's been that's just really weak.  Wonder if palace fans last year thought no one could do better or birmingham city fans under lee clark.

Managers matter.  Money matters more.

Strange how every single club, especially the top clubs in the sport completely disagree with you here.  Wonder why? My guess is because its utter rubbish.

• Like 1

Â