Paul Lambert

limpid

So some have already decided that because of the 'circumstances' we have a free hit, or a draw would be ok, or Lambo shouldn't be judged etc..........

I'm afraid we simply can't keep viewing each game/perfromance/result in a vacuum, it is totally unrealistic.

The way I see it we have a reasonable group of mostly International footballers who are up there amongst the best 20 sides in the Country.

We could, and should, give anyone a game.

The liklihood is that we won't.  And we really are past the time where that can be acceptable due to 'circumstances'.  Because it cant be viewed in isolation.

The possibility is that we will - but we are past the time when that would be cause for much celebration.  Because it cant be viewed in isolation either.

We are looking at it now as, if we lose to Southampton its acceptable. If we lose to Burnley were unlucky. Though not for me, if we lose against Southampton I wont be happy, if we lose to Burnley, I want him gone!!!

Even it were that we beat Southampton and lose to Burnley, it'll just even more, prove his inadequate managerial capability.

Edited by foreveryoung

Lowest league attendance for years on Monday will start the death knell for Lambert if we lose.

You may or may not be right, but there's no reason why a death knell should start after a loss to Southampton.

They are second in the league, and we are without our best two strikers, our best midfielder and our best four defenders. What's left wouldn't sell for much more than 25 million total.

Kind of agree. Lambert has a freebie here to go and attack without much stick if we lose. if we do lose, Burnley is the biggest match of his managerial career. 

You're probably right, although unfortunately he'll still have to pick pretty much the same team.

I have a real concern how Lambert seems to fail to get much out of so many players.

It hasn't gone unnoticed how Ryan Bertrand came in to us in good form.....went out in poor form.....and now with Southampton, coming back to face us in good form.

There is something seriously wrong.

Southampton have the best youth set up in England and thus make extremely high profits on selling their players allowing them to spend more in last Summers transfer window than Lambert has spent in 6 transfer windows. They can also offer the wages required to attract top quality players either on permanent deals or loans.So Bertrand is obviously gonna look better in a team surrounded by quality all over the pitch and on the flip side he is gonna look worse in a team that Lambert has had to put together on Championship standard wages.  I'm pretty sure you could of figured that out if you put some thought into it...

I can't believe you have said that....what on earth do think we are complaining about.

we were supposedly to have one of the best academies in the country ? so where has that line gone, bit the dust has it.

The managers/staff  at Southampton have bought and developed their players so why shouldn't they prosper from what they sow...its their ability that has generated the funds so good luck to them...why can't we do it?

Your argument is just that it is everyone else's fault bar the manager.

its his job to find talent and develop it....its his job to find the staff to do it..... whats with all this one of the best academies in the country if we can't produce players that will make an impact on the first team like southampton....do we just make claims and run away from them when it don't work out.

I would tender sir, that some of you live in a world of make believe and all these claims are just a figment of the imagination of fans that are desperate for a bit of positivity to feed their passion.

I will let you in to a secret...I'm as passionate as the next villa fan but i will be damned to say a pigs ear is a silk purse when i clearly know its not.

We all want to be positive, but right now we are having the proverbial Pee taken out of us, by the people running this club and you are not helping by creating mythical mitigating circumstances at every opportunity.

In all the years i have been supporting this club I have rarely seen results and performances dished out like this and the  manager been granted asylum in the manner this man has.....is it because we have had so many poor managers on the trot that some of us have taken leave of our senses.

We buy players and fully amortise them to cut our losses, whose fault is that and if it is the owner for denying him the funds why like a lot of managers does he not come out and say so.....we have now spent 110 mill to end up with this excuse for football.

I'm sorry, but i simply do not share your view in the slightest.

My argument wasn't that it's everyone elses fault bar the manager so i dunno where you got that from, I stated in a previous post that the manager takes alot of the blame for how things are atm. My argument was that Bertrand looks a better player with Southampton because he is surrounded by better quality players. Southampton are on a different level to us due to how they have been run from the top. Is Nigel Adkins a top manager?  Does he take the credit for the position they are in now after his spell with them or do the people running the club?  The people running Southampton have backed their managers and set up a quality infrastructure and are the reason they are where they are atm. 

A different owner with any ambition would of sacked Lambert long ago. Lerner has to take the majority of the blame for how the club is atm.  Just because I'm prepared to wait til Xmas before deciding how I feel about Lambert being our manager doesn't mean that I can't see his faults so spare me the condescending dribble about living in a dream world to feed my passion and need for a positive view on things. Such bs it's actually a pathetic statement by yourself!

so if i have misinterpreted what you meant, it throws a different light on things, as for Bertrand, Its hard to argue with your claim, but how do you know its just down to that and not the quality of coaching, you could be right, but it could be coaching too or blending.

Well Nigel Adkins must have had some contribution,so he does take some credit....in the same manner that Vic Crowe did before Ron Saunders..... but I take your point the continuity is a significant factor.

Where I differ from you is that until the last few years, Randy Lerner has backed his managers, they have just bought poorly or failed to get anything form their signings ( in the main)and that has tainted his ambition( not saying its right, just what i think)....However I do think that he has recruited the wrong Managers and consequently resulted in his own losses.....He has also made a bit of a pigs ear appointing CEO'S in so much as the rate in which they have left.

I agree with your criticism of Lerner in saying he should have sacked him a while back, but then you say you would give him until Xmas

so why would you wait, do you not think we have waited long enough. I am a bit confused with that line of thought?

as for the last point I totally disagree with the theory that it is rolled out in some quarters that we should all get behind the manager and the team....When the game kicks off I am totally with that, despite the testing nature of the turgid stuff we have had to endure particularly at Home, However if we want to change that and attempt to say it like it is sites like this are the place to voice your opinion.....there may be a flicker of hope that it may reach the ears of someone of influence and remedial decisions may be made( hope! hope!)

don't worry too much about the condescending dribble its not personal.... However,necessity is the mother of invention.

Edited by TRO

I have a real concern how Lambert seems to fail to get much out of so many players.

It hasn't gone unnoticed how Ryan Bertrand came in to us in good form.....went out in poor form.....and now with Southampton, coming back to face us in good form.

Southampton have the best youth set up in England and thus make extremely high profits on selling their players allowing them to spend more in last Summers transfer window than Lambert has spent in 6 transfer windows. They can also offer the wages required to attract top quality players either on permanent deals or loans.So Bertrand is obviously gonna look better in a team surrounded by quality all over the pitch and on the flip side he is gonna look worse in a team that Lambert has had to put together on Championship standard wages.  I'm pretty sure you could of figured that out if you put some thought into it...

I can't believe you have said that....what on earth do think we are complaining about.

we were supposedly to have one of the best academies in the country ? so where has that line gone, bit the dust has it.

The managers/staff  at Southampton have bought and developed their players so why shouldn't they prosper from what they sow...its their ability that has generated the funds so good luck to them...why can't we do it?

its his job to find talent and develop it....its his job to find the staff to do it..... whats with all this one of the best academies in the country if we can't produce players that will make an impact on the first team like southampton....do we just make claims and run away from them when it don't work out.

I would tender sir, that some of you live in a world of make believe and all these claims are just a figment of the imagination of fans that are desperate for a bit of positivity to feed their passion.

I will let you in to a secret...I'm as passionate as the next villa fan but i will be damned to say a pigs ear is a silk purse when i clearly know its not.

We all want to be positive, but right now we are having the proverbial Pee taken out of us, by the people running this club and you are not helping by creating mythical mitigating circumstances at every opportunity.

In all the years i have been supporting this club I have rarely seen results and performances dished out like this and the  manager been granted asylum in the manner this man has.....is it because we have had so many poor managers on the trot that some of us have taken leave of our senses.

We buy players and fully amortise them to cut our losses, whose fault is that and if it is the owner for denying him the funds why like a lot of managers does he not come out and say so.....we have now spent 110 mill to end up with this excuse for football.

My argument wasn't that it's everyone elses fault bar the manager so i dunno where you got that from, I stated in a previous post that the manager takes alot of the blame for how things are atm. My argument was that Bertrand looks a better player with Southampton because he is surrounded by better quality players. Southampton are on a different level to us due to how they have been run from the top. Is Nigel Adkins a top manager?  Does he take the credit for the position they are in now after his spell with them or do the people running the club?  The people running Southampton have backed their managers and set up a quality infrastructure and are the reason they are where they are atm. 

A different owner with any ambition would of sacked Lambert long ago. Lerner has to take the majority of the blame for how the club is atm.  Just because I'm prepared to wait til Xmas before deciding how I feel about Lambert being our manager doesn't mean that I can't see his faults so spare me the condescending dribble about living in a dream world to feed my passion and need for a positive view on things. Such bs it's actually a pathetic statement by yourself!

I agree with your criticism of Lerner in saying he should have sacked him a while back, but then you say you would give him until Xmas

so why would you wait, do you not think we have waited long enough. I am a bit confused with that line of thought?

The reason I would wait is because I'm fearful of how another manager would get on under Lerner.  After the Everton game I had nearly giving up on Lambert and the very least I needed to see was some kind of fight and a decent approach to our next games.  We then played Qpr and while we looked pretty bad when we got up around there box we atleast tried to take the game to them and had the right approach to the game, we then played great vs Spurs and really had a go at them and were unlucky to come away with nothing. We then played West Ham and battled really hard and just about deserved a point from that game imo. 

If the team didn't respond after the Everton game I would be calling for Lambert to go also but because we have responded in a positive fashion I am prepared to wait til the midway point in the season and see how we stand then.

The reason I would wait is because I'm fearful of how another manager would get on under Lerner.  After the Everton game I had nearly giving up on Lambert and the very least I needed to see was some kind of fight and a decent approach to our next games.  We then played Qpr and while we looked pretty bad when we got up around there box we atleast tried to take the game to them and had the right approach to the game, we then played great vs Spurs and really had a go at them and were unlucky to come away with nothing. We then played West Ham and battled really hard and just about deserved a point from that game imo. 

If the team didn't respond after the Everton game I would be calling for Lambert to go also but because we have responded in a positive fashion I am prepared to wait til the midway point in the season and see how we stand then.

Responded yes, but still losing with no goals scored. This is a insane way of looking at the team. We could respond all season but if we are not winning games Lambert is going to relegate us.

Look, Its all about opinions and no one has a monopoly of what is right. I do respect folk focusing on the positives, But I just get frustrated when i see so many things wrong that just continue for such a long period.

Our record  under this guy is appalling, both in the league and against lower league opposition in the cups and lets face it it is not just results as if they couldn't be worse....its the catalogue of individual errors that we consistently display....they look a rag bag team.....and if they do muster a decent start in a game it lasts for annoyingly a very short period, before we go back in to turgid mode.

I did see the spurs game, but didn't see the West Ham game....I share a more jaundiced view of those games than you....I see the west ham game as a good result, but very fortunate to get a point as opposed to a deserved point , if throwing your body on the line (which is commendable) then I could be wrong, but my idea of a deserved result is when you contribute in every area of the game to secure the result... we just hung on as i can glean....The spurs game, we was at Home and I expected more from a guile point of view. ..we were better than normal granted, but I'm sorry, but when i witness, desperate play, ill timed tackles, ill timed runs, and overall scruffy play, I have difficulty in mustering much enthusiasm....we are a very untidy outfit in terms of our play imo

Edited by TRO

Nice to see the excuse merchants are still out, there's always an excuse isn't there?

Well, I don't know exactly who is being referred to here, but from my perspective I'm willing to give the manager the opportunity to win some of the easier games that we have coming up. I think that's fair enough. If we're still in this position at the end of the year there will be no more excuses.

• Like 3

Nice to see the excuse merchants are still out, there's always an excuse isn't there?

Well, I don't know exactly who is being referred to here, but from my perspective I'm willing to give the manager the opportunity to win some of the easier games that we have coming up. I think that's fair enough. If we're still in this position at the end of the year there will be no more excuses.

I suppose Burnley is no longer an easy game. Who is left that is?

Leyton Orient? Oh shit...

Leyton Orient? Oh shit...

yup, no easy games. it's all degrees of difficulty ranging from maybe to not a chance. ^^

All I've left to say on the subject of the manager is that I realise his shortcomings and have been extremely frustrated with alot of things he has done in his time with us.  He was by no means the finished article when he took us over and I'm sure he has lerned alot through his time here but maybe hasn't learned enough and maybe never will  to be able to get this team finishing higher up the table than 15th but I also realise that many other managers would of had us down by now under the restrictions set in place by Lerner, I'd be fairly sure that OGS would of relegated us in his first season just as an example.  I'm prepared to wait til January to see if he can sort it out as a last chance from my point of view.  I don't see any good way out of our current situation with Lerner in charge and it's all smoke and mirrors with him and very little genuine ambition which in turn affects the team and restricts any manager who takes the job.  

• Like 4

I expect 10 Points from the next 5 games

Anything less and Paul should collect his P45 he's had enough time and under any other chairman he would have been shown the door months ago

Edited by AshVilla

The current Aston Villa do not have any "easy" games. A sad fact.

Â