Paul Lambert

limpid

If its all about money spent and this is why we can't blame Lambert, I take it if we did have new owners who gave more money to Lambert he'd then get none of the credit if we started to do well?

I have a feeling the same people using money to deflect him of any blame would be the first ones praising him if he succeeded with more being spent.

Sigh.

No, it's not all about money spent.  I imagine the day to day running of a football club is far more intricate than I could possibly know about.  Lambert has to shoulder responsibility as he's picked the teams, bought in the players he has and presumably sets them up to play however they play each week.  As a precursor to "doing well" in the Premier League, though, you need money.  It really is that **** simple.

Don't really explain the Bradford debarcle though does it???

Should probably sack Van Gaal after he spent £160m but lost 4-0 to MK Dons then.

Over 2 legs?? 

Also, I had more respect for Lambert when he was signing young and hungry players. I felt, as fans, we had something to 'hang our hat' on and that improvement in style of play and results around the corner.

His about face in the summer, was an admission of failure of the previous policy, and nothing I have seen so far has proven the new way forward as having the potential for success.

If its all about money spent and this is why we can't blame Lambert, I take it if we did have new owners who gave more money to Lambert he'd then get none of the credit if we started to do well?

I have a feeling the same people using money to deflect him of any blame would be the first ones praising him if he succeeded with more being spent.

Sigh.

No, it's not all about money spent.  I imagine the day to day running of a football club is far more intricate than I could possibly know about.  Lambert has to shoulder responsibility as he's picked the teams, bought in the players he has and presumably sets them up to play however they play each week.  As a precursor to "doing well" in the Premier League, though, you need money.  It really is that **** simple.

Don't really explain the Bradford debarcle though does it???

Or Millwall, Sheffield United and Leyton Orient!

I don't understand why Bradford, Millwall etc are always brought up when people mention the budgetary constraints Lambert has had to work under. Surely people understand the difference between a 38-game league season and one-off (or two-off in the case of Bradford) cup games? Not that it makes those defeats any less unacceptable, but if those lower league teams were in the PL they would not be finishing higher than us.

• Like 2

And so they shouldn't.

However we shouldn't be losing to lower league teams in one off games as often as we do either.

IMO:

In the premier league we're normally crap.

In the cups even against lower league teams we're often crap.

Lambert is managing the team - he has to take the blame for our consistently dire performances.

Edited by Brumstopdogs
  • Like 1

I agree that we shouldn't be losing to these teams and Lambert should take a big part of the blame for that but it doesn't suddenly make the financial restrictions that he's been working under invalid. After all, even we've beaten big spending teams like Chelsea and Man City on the odd occasion.

• Like 1

I'm more concerned in the league about Lambert - cup games are more about the players attitudes (overall).  We beat Man City but lose to Bradford = being down to the manager just doesn't make sense to me - other than, perhaps, a motivational issue?

I'm more concerned in the league about Lambert - cup games are more about the players attitudes (overall).  We beat Man City but lose to Bradford = being down to the manager just doesn't make sense to me - other than, perhaps, a motivational issue?

Motivational 100%. Also you need to adjust tactics a problem Lambert has! Example was the last minutes of the second leg against Bradford, like 9 players forward, it was just a embarrassment.

• Like 1

We're Aston Villa football club - an established premier league club. We should be beating Chelsea and Man City on occasion.

We should not be losing to Bradford, Millwall, Sheffield United and Leyton Orient. They are in lower divisions for a reason. One defeat I could take us a cup shock, two defeats I'd start to really ask questions. Four defeats in less than 2 years to lower league teams - that is just incompetence.

As for the players being to blame for the defeats. Yes to a certain degree that is right. However, it is the managers responsibility that the players are motivated correctly for each game and that he selects the right team for each game. It's another example, of many, where something has gone wrong at the club and the manager has not acted accordingly to put things right.

• Like 1

Also, I had more respect for Lambert when he was signing young and hungry players. I felt, as fans, we had something to 'hang our hat' on and that improvement in style of play and results around the corner.

His about face in the summer, was an admission of failure of the previous policy, and nothing I have seen so far has proven the new way forward as having the potential for success.

I had doubts before this summer, due to the football we turned out at the end of last season.

Young and hungry is fine as a policy - but they need to be properly handled. They are eager to learn and easy to motivate but they will make mistakes and, without proper instruction and encouragement, will lose confidence and perform below par. Sounds just like us last season.

I can't lay the blame entirely at Lambert's feet for that - Culverhouse and Karva have a LOT to answer for - but Lambert did employ them and let it get out of hand. He then changed strategy completely this summer and brought in the great encourager and instructor known as Roy Keane.

To be fair to Lambert, he's only had 3 seasons to find a creative/attacking #10 type. Give the poor bloke a chance. It can't be easy

Far easier to spunk 8m on another battler

Said it before, Paul Lambert doesn't want that kind of player. Otherwise he'd have signed one and wouldn't have built a squad comprised of players that don't work with that kind of player.

It's all a myth. An easy go to of a window to get people excited. It's clearly way way down his list is priorities

For me the important thing is entertainment i commute from essex and the journeg home always consists off "what a load of shit that was". I just want us to attack and excite id take losing just have a go people rightly state lambert dosnt want to lose but as soon as we concede we just bottle it. Id play 3-5-2 and have a right go with 2 strikers waiting.

I agree that we shouldn't be losing to these teams and Lambert should take a big part of the blame for that but it doesn't suddenly make the financial restrictions that he's been working under invalid. After all, even we've beaten big spending teams like Chelsea and Man City on the odd occasion.

For once we are in some kind of agreement the only thing I can add, is that yes, we did beat those teams, which is why it was so odd we just rolled over this year, Lambert was bringing out the excuses before the run of games. If he is doing that, the players aren't going to believe. We need an inspirational leader, not somebody with a book full of excuses.

I've never heard Lambert make excuses for anything. In fact he gets slated for saying nothing more than "we go again" with the exact intention of not making excuses.

The "excuses" you're referring to are restrictions pointed out by some of us, and they are very real unless you think that regularly occurring long-term injuries to key players, salary restrictions and inadequate transfer funds don't really matter that much.

• Like 1

They do matter and they've certainly made his job harder than it could have been. But I don't think they excuse no progress on McLeish 3 years down the line, losing 50% of the time and for the most part of his time here, playing some of the worst football in the league.

• Like 1

I've never heard Lambert make excuses for anything. In fact he gets slated for saying nothing more than "we go again" with the exact intention of not making excuses.

The "excuses" you're referring to are restrictions pointed out by some of us, and they are very real unless you think that regularly occurring long-term injuries to key players, salary restrictions and inadequate transfer funds don't really matter that much.

Paul Lambert could join ISIS and you'd back the decision.

Be honest now, you'd be strongly in favour of this yourself :)

Be honest now, you'd be strongly in favour of this yourself :)

Well, I think Lambert lost his head a long time ago!

• Like 1

Â