Paul Lambert

limpid

Your posts get worse. You continue to talk to people like they can't match your understanding of the game. And your dismissal of things in your defence of the manager increases by the game.

Sorry if I'm coming across as someone with more understanding of the game than anyone else, I have an average understanding of the game, like you and probably at least 95% of people posting on here. But at least I understand that we've tried a succession of managers and finally landed one with a spectacular track record. The only thing we haven't really tried is sticking with one, and I would like to do so for once and see where it goes for longer than ten seconds.

Of his management career he has a win ratio of 39%. I would hardly call that spectacular.

Your posts get worse. You continue to talk to people like they can't match your understanding of the game. And your dismissal of things in your defence of the manager increases by the game.

Sorry if I'm coming across as someone with more understanding of the game than anyone else, I have an average understanding of the game, like you and probably at least 95% of people posting on here. But at least I understand that we've tried a succession of managers and finally landed one with a spectacular track record. The only thing we haven't really tried is sticking with one, and I would like to do so for once and see where it goes for longer than ten seconds.

Of his management career he has a win ratio of 39%. I would hardly call that spectacular.

The only spectacular thing about Lambert is how bad he is at management!

• Like 1

The only spectacular thing about Lambert is how bad he is at management!

Yawn.

• Like 1

Bit harsh don't you think? I'm sure there are people on here who think you, me and others talk nonsense at times as well but don't feel the need to point it out.

I think a lot of us probably talk nonsense a few times. I think that's different than talking down to people as if they aren't capable of understanding the sport like you do.

Would you be so kind as to point out some instances of my talking down to people? I don't usually intend to do so unless they really are idiots.

Bit harsh don't you think? I'm sure there are people on here who think you, me and others talk nonsense at times as well but don't feel the need to point it out.

I think a lot of us probably talk nonsense a few times. I think that's different than talking down to people as if they aren't capable of understanding the sport like you do.

Would you be so kind as to point out some instances of my talking down to people? I don't usually intend to do so unless they really are idiots.

meow this is a class example of tones being interpreted differently ey?

for the nerdier of us:

http://www.apa.org/monitor/feb06/egos.aspx

I'd hate to read post-it notes you leave for yourself.

Wigan went down with Martinez but everyone knew the ethos he was trying to build there.

Be shit for a whole season then rally at the end with wins against the big clubs?  Sounds like we're in the same boat :D

He has nothing like a `spectacular track record' and almost two and a half seasons should not just be off-handedly dismissed as `ten seconds'.

These negate the entire post.

Three successive promotions is a spectacular track record. If you're then brave or stupid enough to take the Aston Villa job in the Randy Lerner era, your track record is going to progressively suck. I'm not sure why anyone would think that anyone would say he now has a spectacular track record. Either it's willful stupidity or I'm coming across as quite barking mad. Probably a bit of both.

My ten seconds starts after the Liverpool game fwiw. I think it's fair to say that most of us wanted him to stay at that point.

I totally agree we needed to stick with someone, and for that reason as much as any was prepared to stick it out with lambo.

But the principle can be right and yet we could have the wrong guy...there is at least as much danger hanging on to the wrong guy for too long as there is getting rid of the right guy too quick.

It is a matter of individual assessment of course as to when exactly enough is enough, but for me you need more, after 100 odd league games and five cups, than lambo has shown. Considerably more.

And there needs to be an upward curve, which we irrefutably do not have.

So for me, time to apply the principle you speak of to someone else. Its not as if he was got rid of at the first hint of trouble is it ?

• Like 4

I am one of the aforementioned 95% of fans with an average understanding of football. So yeah, perhaps I don't know how best to set up a team to break down an opposition. I don't know how to create a strike force capable of scoring goals. I don't know how to set up a defence so that it's able to withstand a concerted assault resolutely and without panic. I don't know how to run training in a way that encourages passing and good off-the-ball movement. I don't know how to alter the flow of a game by making astute, well timed substitutions.

You know who I do expect to know all that stuff? The manager.

Edited by Villanun
  • Like 2

I totally agree we needed to stick with someone, and for that reason as much as any was prepared to stick it out with lambo.

But the principle can be right and yet we could have the wrong guy...there is at least as much danger hanging on to the wrong guy for too long as there is getting rid of the right guy too quick.

It is a matter of individual assessment of course as to when exactly enough is enough, but for me you need more, after 100 odd league games and five cups, than lambo has shown. Considerably more.

And there needs to be an upward curve, which we irrefutably do not have.

So for me, time to apply the principle you speak of to someone else. Its not as if he was got rid of at the first hint of trouble is it ?

No, there's no denying it's been awful. In the end it comes down to a few questions to which there is no definite answer.

- Could we get someone better, and at the first attempt? Maybe, maybe not, but it's a big risk and the good ones aren't going to be queuing up for the job.

- Have we had slightly bad luck with injuries, or freakishly, bizarrely bad luck? I think it's been freakish, maybe others don't.

- Could we have signed better players? Overall, I think we'd be lucky to have done better than we have for the money, maybe others don't.

- Could the team we have be managed in such a way as to win more games and be more entertaining? Maybe, but I don't think a manager has all that much power to influence the style of play. Obviously some do.

Although a manager's popularity is always determined by his results, the results themselves aren't necessarily a reason to give up and try someone else. I totally respect your POV because you obviously realise this. If only that were true of everyone here.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner
  • Like 1

But surely the bad luck and issues thrown at Lambert he has had a fairly decent chance to deal with? Isn't being a good manager learning from your mistakes and adapting?

I appreciate the ever changing policies and instability at the club make Lambert's life difficult and that is where it is genuinely hard to separate out what really goes on/has gone on and who takes the lion's share of the blame.

No matter how you spin it though, our squad has a woeful lack of quality and depth. Senderos and Cole can only paper over gaping cracks. Sanchez looks a good player, but Cleverly doesn't feel like the type of player we were crying out for and will no doubt go elsewhere when his loan expires. Cissokho is fairly average, better than Luna and Bennett but that doesn't say much.

I wish Lambert would try and play the way he wants to regardless of our squad limitations just so we could at least see what he was trying to do, the main issue for me at the moment is I can't even have the conversation with someone that says 'if only we had a better...' because all over the pitch we look frankly dire.

Edited by VillanousOne

But surely the bad luck and issues thrown at Lambert he has had a fairly decent chance to deal with? Isn't being a good manager learning from your mistakes and adapting?

I appreciate the ever changing policies and instability at the club make Lambert's life difficult and that is where it is genuinely hard to separate out what really goes on/has gone on and who takes the lion's share of the blame.

No matter how you spin it though, our squad has a woeful lack of quality and depth. Senderos and Cole can only paper over gaping cracks. Sanchez looks a good player, but Cleverly doesn't feel like the type of player we were crying out for and will no doubt go elsewhere when his loan expires. Cissokho is fairly average, better than Luna and Bennett but that doesn't say much.

I wish Lambert would try and play the way he wants to regardless of our squad limitations just so we could at least see what he was trying to do, the main issue for me at the moment is I can't even have the conversation with someone that says 'if only we had a better...' because all over the pitch we look frankly dire.

The money really has been tighter than you maybe give credit for, I think.

The transfer funds made available have been very small by Premier League standards. That would still be okay if we could maybe pick up some cunning free transfers, but when the wages are being squeezed as well, that becomes tricky. Inevitably you end up with less quality than if you could make players come to Villa by paying them loads. Considering our league placings since MON left, and the obviously weak squad, we're hardly an attractive prospective club from a football point of view either. It's a **** mess.

Not sure what mistakes you're referring to that Lambert could have learned from. No doubt he's made a few, but I really can't think of anything that he's done repeatedly that he could have learned from, unless you're talking about formations (which is a very hard thing to measure properly without using hindsight).

Â