Paul Lambert

limpid

You're right there isn't . Also not much to suggest otherwise. Personally , and I know it is not a popular opinion in some quarters, I think he deserves that chance as I do think he will make us a whole lot better

So he is pretty much like his mentor, MON. Needs a bulk load of cash?

Money money money!!!!!!   This still does not explain how we are losing in the cup games to lower league teams, Orient, bradford over 2 legs,. The players may not be a top 4 team but we have beat top 4 teams with good football. The biggest problem in the team is the consustancy of the squad which only Lambert can change, but has proved time and time again its something he is unable to do.

Its not gonna take a master of management to get this team winning and playing good football, its gonna take a change, someone the team will listen to and gain confidence and a definate change of tactics, something again Lambert has had a huge problem coaching in to the squad!!

Couldn't agree more.

Swansea are a team who play great football, and it didn't cost them millions to do it. Southampton played good football without millions (their first season in the prem).

Lambert's Norwich is another example.

We have some good players at the club, some with ability for top six clubs (Benteke, Vlaar, Delph, Cissokho) and some who would easily get other teams mid table and above (Westwood, N'Zogbia, Weimann, Hutton, Baker, Senderos, Sanchez, Guzan).

The problem is that the MANAGER, cannot get these decent, good, very good, players to go out on the pitch and perform, show urgency, get the ball forward, get us scoring goals, get us defending, get us breaking teams down.

He has no plan, no ploy, no idea. He sends us out to break fast, when we have no movement, and against teams who sussed us so sit deep and soak it up. When that goes wrong he has the team playing long ball when up against big strong defenders.

Get a new manager, one who can breathe belief into the club and players. Not one who looks and acts like he is lost in a job too big for him.

To you, yes. To others, He isn't.

The whole post is by me, and my opinion. If you can only pick one thing out to debate... what does that say about our manager?

Mate, come on. The reason I did that was simple. Everything that you said and that I said has already been said a million times already on this on forum. Sometimes I just can't be arsed. Its Sunday, give me a break.  ;)

I don't see how 2 previous relegation scraps with another one this season already is safe. Quite the opposite.

I don't see him as a sensible choice either. Crowds are going down, the football is dire and there is no progress.

We might not be sold for a long time - there is no point us proceeding with a manager that has lost the majority of the fan base. There is no way back for him now IMO.

I understand the frustration, however it is extremely unlikely under this regime that Lambert will get sacked. The club is in a terrible position both on and off the field and until we are sold this will inevitably continue. The fact is (as I remember it) that newly promoted Leicester City were able to spend more money bringing in one player than we did on our entire squad over the summer, and that there is the crux of the problem IMO.

Leicester may have spent more in one window but including previous windows overall Lambert has a squad that cost far more.

His problem is he can't get the best out of them, he doesn't select the right players, his tactics are dire and on the whole the team is boring.

A manager that has divided the fans (even though most quite rightly want him out) - until he's gone we won't more forward.

Swansea are a team who play great football, and it didn't cost them millions to do it. Southampton played good football without millions (their first season in the prem).

Lambert's Norwich is another example.

We have some good players at the club, some with ability for top six clubs (Benteke, Vlaar, Delph, Cissokho) and some who would easily get other teams mid table and above (Westwood, N'Zogbia, Weimann, Hutton, Baker, Senderos, Sanchez, Guzan).

The problem is that the MANAGER, cannot get these decent, good, very good, players to go out on the pitch and perform, show urgency, get the ball forward, get us scoring goals, get us defending, get us breaking teams down.

He has no plan, no ploy, no idea. He sends us out to break fast, when we have no movement, and against teams who sussed us so sit deep and soak it up. When that goes wrong he has the team playing long ball when up against big strong defenders.

Get a new manager, one who can breathe belief into the club and players. Not one who looks and acts like he is lost in a job too big for him.

To you, yes. To others, He isn't.

The whole post is by me, and my opinion. If you can only pick one thing out to debate... what does that say about our manager?

Mate, come on. The reason I did that was simple. Everything that you said and that I said has already been said a million times already on this on forum. Sometimes I just can't be arsed. Its Sunday, give me a break.  ;)

:thumb: 

Know how you feel. At least we didn't lose this weekend!  :D

• Like 1

I don't see how 2 previous relegation scraps with another one this season already is safe. Quite the opposite.

I don't see him as a sensible choice either. Crowds are going down, the football is dire and there is no progress.

We might not be sold for a long time - there is no point us proceeding with a manager that has lost the majority of the fan base. There is no way back for him now IMO.

I understand the frustration, however it is extremely unlikely under this regime that Lambert will get sacked. The club is in a terrible position both on and off the field and until we are sold this will inevitably continue. The fact is (as I remember it) that newly promoted Leicester City were able to spend more money bringing in one player than we did on our entire squad over the summer, and that there is the crux of the problem IMO.

Leicester may have spent more in one window but including previous windows overall Lambert has a squad that cost far more.

His problem is he can't get the best out of them, he doesn't select the right players, his tactics are dire and on the whole the team is boring.

A manager that has divided the fans (even though most quite rightly want him out) - until he's gone we won't more forward.

It isn't just about that either, the players we have now are not worth 1/2m they were when we bought them (or 5-7m), they are now established premier league players who are worth a lot more, and who would fit in with a lot of mid-table and above teams. We have to get over that he has spent 50ish million and realise this team is now worth 80-90m+ (imho)

Having watched is for 2 years under Lambert I'm not convinced a bulk of money will make that much difference. We'll still play narrow, uninspiring, kick and rush football relying on a striker who hasn't scored/ been fit since March.

Having watched is for 2 years under Lambert I'm not convinced a bulk of money will make that much difference. We'll still play narrow, uninspiring, kick and rush football relying on a striker who hasn't scored/ been fit since March.

Maybe Lambert's just lulling the other managers into a false sense of security and come the business end of the season he's going to unveil his master plan of superb tactics and we'll be thrashing teams every week.

Maybe not - maybe 12th in the premier league (his biggest achievement as a manager) is as good as it is going to get for him.

Time to go for a proven replacement not someone who's shown he is capable as a good premier league manager for a mere one season.

• Like 1

Over the years Villa Managers have never had enough money and being out bid by other clubs has nearly always been cited as a problem to us..... blimey Doug Ellis had his fair share of criticism....but they got on with it.

Managers under HDE still managed a semblance of success DESPITE the restrictions.

Money is always cited as the main restriction today when in fact Money in terms of buying the best players was always gifted to the clubs with the biggest gates, years ago ...the main thing that has changed is the source of those funds which has switched from gate receipts to rich owners.

The main difference today is the size of the funds involved....the principle has always been there ....Hence Villa Buying all the best players in the early part of the last century

Edited by TRO

You're right there isn't . Also not much to suggest otherwise. Personally , and I know it is not a popular opinion in some quarters, I think he deserves that chance as I do think he will make us a whole lot better

Based on what? Exactly ?

Why does he 'deserve' a chance.

IMO He's had a massive chance. He's had a chance to show he can step up from the relatively low expectations of a Norwich to a big city club like ours.

He's had the chance to show how he can make that step up and improve something that drastically needed improving.

He's had financial backing. He's had free reign to do what he wants.

And what he has done is blow it. He has blown his chance, and that's because he is not upto the task.

I have been saying for a long, long time the job is too big for him. That's not one of those throw away statements, I truly think he is out of his depth.

When he signed Benteke, he said that the amount that the amount of he spent 'frightened him'. To hear our manager speak like, frightened me, because what it told me I'd that he has a small club mindset.

That has been confirmed by his constant 'bigging up' of other teams and 'tough games' mantra.

Again, small team mentality, which without doubt, has become engrained in the team, and also a lot of fans.

This approach means the team plays with fear. Fear of competing, fear of taking the game to the opposition, fear of having a go.

It mans we are very easy to play against, very easy to pick off. Every team in the country knows how we play. Thats why we will not improve under lambert, he knows no other way to play.

He talks us down. He has talked our expectations down, leave him to carry on and he'll take the team down as well.

Every Manager, admits its a results business and performances lead to results ( in General)

There are tons of comments/opinions  we can all make about all the managers we have had over the years...Jo Venglos was cited as a football Genius and Ron Saunders was recruited as a another journey man manager....Interesting how things turn out isn't it?

... we ultimately judge them by the performances and results they produce, despite the so called mitigating circumstances that fans put forward to defend their opinion.

• Like 1

You could argue that the manager is part of the problem (I'd probably buy into this as well to a certain degree) but it seems pretty obvious that things will never get much better unless the owner changes or unless he drastically changes the way he runs the club.

Yep, to expect big improvements we need a new owner. But I don't expect big improvements at the moment, I just want some improvements. 3 years on we're no better than what McLeish was doing. That's not down to just the owner and I don't think its too much to expect better than that.

• Like 1

The frustration also is, that Leicester are just embarking on their quest to enter the fray of Premier league football ....We, in contrast have had several years of wasted opportunities..... When Leicester experience the same level of " Duds" they get for their money ...They too will become cautious like us.

Based on what? Exactly ?

Why does he 'deserve' a chance.

IMO He's had a massive chance. He's had a chance to show he can step up from the relatively low expectations of a Norwich to a big city club like ours.

He's had the chance to show how he can make that step up and improve something that drastically needed improving.

He's had financial backing. He's had free reign to do what he wants.

And what he has done is blow it. He has blown his chance, and that's because he is not upto the task.

I have been saying for a long, long time the job is too big for him. That's not one of those throw away statements, I truly think he is out of his depth.

When he signed Benteke, he said that the amount that the amount of he spent 'frightened him'. To hear our manager speak like, frightened me, because what it told me I'd that he has a small club mindset.

That has been confirmed by his constant 'bigging up' of other teams and 'tough games' mantra.

Again, small team mentality, which without doubt, has become engrained in the team, and also a lot of fans.

This approach means the team plays with fear. Fear of competing, fear of taking the game to the opposition, fear of having a go.

It mans we are very easy to play against, very easy to pick off. Every team in the country knows how we play. Thats why we will not improve under lambert, he knows no other way to play.

He talks us down. He has talked our expectations down, leave him to carry on and he'll take the team down as well.

In all the time he has been here (at a big city club) he has managed to make us worse than the country bumpkin club that he left us for.

Not a very good performance in my opinion and not something I would be proud to have on my CV.

we shouldn't STILL be speculating every year if only relegation will see Lambert fired

But it's likely to be the case unless the owner gets more ambitious.  If we're spending £30m in a transfer window and flirting with the drop, he'd go.  If we're spending £5m, staying up is good enough.

In all the time he has been here (at a big city club) he has managed to make us worse than the country bumpkin club that he left us for.

Not a very good performance in my opinion and not something I would be proud to have on my CV.

a] Harsh on Norwich.

b] To put his performance into comparison, the season that Norwich were relegated (having finished 12th under Lambert, then 11th the following season), they spent £26m on players (inc £8.5m on Van Wolfswinkel, £5.5m on Hooper, £5m on Fer).  Lambert hasn't spent that amount in any season at Villa.

a] Harsh on Norwich.

b] To put his performance into comparison, the season that Norwich were relegated (having finished 12th under Lambert, then 11th the following season), they spent £26m on players (inc £8.5m on Van Wolfswinkel, £5.5m on Hooper, £5m on Fer).  Lambert hasn't spent that amount in any season at Villa.

a] I don't give a t*ss about Norwich, they are a nothing club.

b] Lambert has been here long enough, spent enough money and bought enough players in to achieve at least mid table mediocrity. The seasonal event of languishing around the relegation zone, the amount of games we lose, the poor home form and the turgid style of play is totally unacceptable.

The money issue is a very lame excuse.

Edited by pacbuddies
  • Like 1

a] I don't give a t*ss about Norwich, they are a nothing club.

b] Lambert has been here long enough, spent enough money and bought enough players in to achieve at least mid table mediocrity. The seasonal event of languishing around the relegation zone, the amount of games we lose, the poor home form and the turgid style of play is totally unacceptable.

The money issue is a very lame excuse.

"Spent enough to achieve at least mid table mediocrity" based on what?  I can agree with issues over style of play or not performing well at home - and, indeed, perhaps the manager isn't good enough - but some fans honestly live in the past where being a "big club" was enough to mean... well, something.

You can see the money issue being a "very lame excuse" but, unless you spend in the Premier League, you go nowhere.  Currently, we're going nowhere.

The money spent argument ignores the players he inherited and also ignores the bomb squad players who came back into the squad in the summer.

It does, absolutely - although I'm not convinced any of those players suggest anything more than "mid to lower Premier League".

Â