Paul Lambert

limpid

If you mean the current top 6 the. Yes you right as we currently sit 6th but if you are talking about the actual top 6 clubs in the league then none of our back 5 would be remotely close to their starting 11.

I said collectively. I think if you swapped the back 5 of any of the top 6 (apart from Chelsea) with ours then I don't think there'd be much difference in those teams' results.

We do not have a midfield that could even remotely be compared to any of the top 6 clubs

The gulf between the top 6/7 squads and the rest is frightening, sure on a given day any 11 players can beat any other 11 players but over 38 games plus cup matches you don't stand a chance

• Like 4

We do not have a midfield that could even remotely be compared to any of the top 6 clubs

The gulf between the top 6/7 squads and the rest is frightening, sure on a given day any 11 players can beat any other 11 players but over 38 games plus cup matches you don't stand a chance

My point was that individually, Delph especially, they are capable of/potentially capable of playing for a top 6 club. I don't think that as a trio they are as good as a 3 from any of the top 6. More that we have players that are better than have to defend for our lives and have to rely on counter attacking so much.

If you mean the current top 6 then yes you right as we currently sit 6th but if you are talking about the actual top 6 clubs in the league then none of our back 5 would be remotely close to their starting 11.

Mmm... Vlaar would get into the Everton and United teams comfortably, maybe Liverpool and Spurs as well. Obviously he's not fit half the time which is a problem.

EDIT: Guzan would walk into the Liverpool team as well

Edited by PatrickCousens
  • Like 1

Something I'd like to say on the Lambert/Keane front is that most of you will have seen the viral video thats going around showing Lambert and Keane snubbing the handshake of Mourinho on 85 mins of Saturdays game. It's popular because it's quite funny how unmoved Keane is and Lambert taps his watch  as if to say "its not the end of the game yet, you cocky ****"

All i'd like to say is...Fair bloody play Lambert/Keane. I'm very happy that they are clearly not willing to be made to look mugs by that knob. I am genuinely over the moon with how they are running the show at the moment. Our players look enthused, there isn't as much discontent, we look more solid than we have for a while and I'm sure the goals will come.

I haven't seen many mention this clip, but one thing I would ask is, if the opposite happened, and they both jumped at the chance to shake his hand on 85 mins...what would we have said? I reckon it would have been on a par with the Houllier/Anfield drama or DOL "Fickle"-gate.

• Like 2

Something I'd like to say on the Lambert/Keane front is that most of you will have seen the viral video thats going around showing Lambert and Keane snubbing the handshake of Mourinho on 85 mins of Saturdays game. It's popular because it's quite funny how unmoved Keane is and Lambert taps his watch  as if to say "its not the end of the game yet, you cocky ****"

Yeah I saw that, I also saw the very frosty hand shake before the game.

The two of them have had a few heated exchanges previously, once at their place and then at ours last season following the sending off. There is clearly little love lost between the two which I think was Jose's motivation for what he said after the game.

All i'd like to say is...Fair bloody play Lambert/Keane. I'm very happy that they are clearly not willing to be made to look mugs by that knob. I am genuinely over the moon with how they are running the show at the moment. Our players look enthused, there isn't as much discontent, we look more solid than we have for a while and I'm sure the goals will come.

I haven't seen many mention this clip, but one thing I would ask is, if the opposite happened, and they both jumped at the chance to shake his hand on 85 mins...what would we have said? I reckon it would have been on a par with the Houllier/Anfield drama or DOL "Fickle"-gate.

What Lambert was actually suggesting was "You're 78 minutes too late, Jose."

It's no good Lambert being narked by Mourinho's cockiness when his own team showed no will to even try to get in the game.

• Like 1

Mourinho is a word removed. Good on Lambo and Keane.

IMO we have a much better squad than our tactics seem to suggest. We have a gk and back 4 that (collectively) are top 6 quality and a midfield trio (Westwood, Delph and Cleverley) that (individually/arguably) are good enough to play for a top 6 team.

So how can it be that our default tactic is to get behind the ball, hope for a clean sheet and hope for a goal from a counter attack?

And whether we are home or away, 0-0 or 0-3 this is the tactic.

We should have greater ambition than this and Lambert should have more belief in his players than this.

I am not completely against the tactic (especially against the top teams and/or away from home) but where I think it fails is in the selection of the remaining 3 players in the team.

If we are to sit deep and look to counter then surely the 3 remaining picks should be more attack minded/creative. I.E. Grealish has got to be starting! Weimann and Richardson's work rate isn't enough when we've already got 8 players behind them doing that job. N'Zogbia should play over them. When Benteke is fit then Grealish should start with 1 of Gabby (mainly away from home) and Nzogbia (mainly at home) making up the XI.

We have a very strong spine to our team and should be capable of taking the game to teams/creating chances/scoring goals. Especially at Villa Park.

This is basically my view. Away we sit deeper and play to our strengths then when at home push the FB's on with Westwood sitting and also let Delph and Cleverley get forward. I think Grealish will work well with Benteke as the big man will hold it up and allow Jack to play off him. I just hope Lambert has the confidence or balls to let them have a go. If we lose Saturdaybbut have a crack no one will moan if we hope to sit deep and pray only a win will do.

Yeah I saw that, I also saw the very frosty hand shake before the game.

The two of them have had a few heated exchanges previously, once at their place and then at ours last season following the sending off. There is clearly little love lost between the two which I think was Jose's motivation for what he said after the game.

It seems it's Jose's new thing this season. I've not noticed in previous years but he did it the other week aswell. Let's hope Lambert and Keane get the chance to do the same at VP!!

Â