Paul Lambert

limpid

Expected defeat really.

He's brought in more experience which will see us finish higher than last year. But we will gradually slip down the table now and find our rightful place.

Lambert is doing ok. I really hope he keeps us strong over the next few games.

The only thing i will criticize him for is not targeting Diame as a signing. Would have improved,us straight away however he went for the riskier Sanchez. 2 goals in 2 games now for Diame and hes made an immediate impact which I knew he would.

Anyway can't wait for these next 3 games to be over and hopefully we scrape another point

• Like 1

How did we lose? Did Lambert trim his beard this morning or something?

We lost because we gave a dynamic team space and time to play, the only player who did any real pressing was Delph but that's his role. Every other player sat back and made the tactics look naive....in fact we did it more at 3-0....bizarre. 

Sitting back against Arsenal, pfff, this isn't Football Manager when you're trying to scrape a draw in a cup tie, this is real life and it's been a decade since Arsenal had the class to defend properly against an attacking/pressing team, Lambert really needs to understand that attacking and pressing can be an effective tool in breaking up a possession teams rhythm. 

Edited by itdoesntmatterwhatthissay

Aston Villa FC @AVFCOfficial 4 Min.

Paul Lambert post-match: @Bakesy23 and @DarrenBent pulled out this morning. @ARWesty15 was sick during the warm-up. #AVFC

Aston Villa FC @AVFCOfficial 2 Min.

Paul Lambert post-match: @AndiWeimann was sick at half-time. Fabian Delph has had a bug. @BGuzan has had a bug. #AVFC

Aston Villa FC @AVFCOfficial 3 Min.

Paul Lambert post-match: I will probably have to shut the training ground for a couple of days. #AVFC

How did we lose? Did Lambert trim his beard this morning or something?

We lost because we gave a dynamic team space and time to play, the only player who did any real pressing was Delph but that's his role. Every other player sat back and made the tactics look naive....in fact we did it more at 3-0....bizarre. 

Sitting back against Arsenal, pfff, this isn't Football Manager when you're trying to scrape a draw in a cup tie, this is real life and it's been a decade since Arsenal had the class to defend properly against an attacking/pressing team, Lambert really needs to understand that attacking and pressing can be an effective tool in breaking up a possessions teams rhythm.

Thought we were the better side and looked the more likely before the goal.

Do agree about sitting back though would love us to play a Dortmund-esque pressing game which I thought we may given Lambert's history there but unfortunately doesn't appear to be the case.

Aston Villa FC ‏@AVFCOfficial 4 Min.

Paul Lambert post-match: @Bakesy23 and @DarrenBent pulled out this morning. @ARWesty15 was sick during the warm-up. #AVFC

Aston Villa FC ‏@AVFCOfficial 2 Min.

Paul Lambert post-match: @AndiWeimann was sick at half-time. Fabian Delph has had a bug. @BGuzan has had a bug. #AVFC

Aston Villa FC ‏@AVFCOfficial 3 Min.

Paul Lambert post-match: I will probably have to shut the training ground for a couple of days. #AVFC

Oh god.

Fingers crossed for next weekend...

Excuses manual number 453

"Listen lads, we are going to lose at the weekend and I need a get out. Can a few of you drink a vial of this bacteria I got the the club doc to knock up for me, nothing major you will just be puking your ring and shitting through the eye of a needle for a few days. Cheers" 

A grip needs to be got. 

• Like 1

Very difficult today. Our whole game plan against the best teams relies on us scoring the first goal. When we fall behind, like our other games, we lack the creative spark to break down teams when in possession (or even retain possession when in possession). Today was even worse because the game got away from us so quickly.

Lambert then had to make a call about whether to really go for it second half and hope for an amazing comeback, or do damage limitation and protect the team from burning out with this sickness bug. Bearing in mind games in the past when we have got torn apart when we have opened up and chased games and then had a nightmare (e.g. Chelsea away, Spurs at home), I think he probably did the right thing. That being said, if I'd paid for a ticket and travelled to Villa Park today, I would have been really disappointed with the second half performance and lack of urgency.

I think this result brings everyone back down to earth after the first 4 games, and if we can get 1 win or a couple of draws from the next 3 games, and avoid a hiding in any of them, then I think we are set up nicely for the run up to Xmas with Benteke coming back.

Funny enough, I think even the Arsenal players were suprised by our second half approach!

Whilst losing at home to Arsenal won't define out season, the worryingly familiar signs of woeful home form were in evidence today.

Conceding way too much possession. Creating very little.

Paul, you've got a spanking new contract and you've preceded over two of our worst seasons in recent time. Give us something to shout about at home instead of the negative football that is generally served up.

• Like 2

I don't think he was negative today?

Started well, looked bright and had a go for the first 30 mins. Had a mad 4 minutes and got blown away.

After that your playing against arguably one of the best possession sides in Europe and they have a 3-0 lead. It's nigh on impossible to be positive in that scenario, we did well to keep it a 3 in the circumstances.

I expect us to get spanked at Chelsea, narrowly beaten at home by City, then I think we will get something against Everton. If we get anything from the next 3 games, then coupled with the win at Anfield, it's still a pretty amazing start and better than anyone expected.

After that the beast is back and maybe Cole might start to have a not of an impact too - both of those players will help in the 'positive' department.

By Christmas, I think we will be upper mid table and playing some pretty decent stuff.

Edited by wazzap24
  • Like 2

If it's that bad we should apply for special dispensation to move the game.

but it probably isn't that bad.

I don't like this from Lambert - I much prefer we get on with the Job.

I'd say closing BMH for a couple of days means it's pretty bad.

If it's that bad we should apply for special dispensation to move the game.

but it probably isn't that bad.

I don't like this from Lambert - I much prefer we get on with the Job.

Players puking and having to run off to the toilet isn't that bad?

Â