Paul Lambert

limpid

People talk of our lack of shots on target and goals - but honestly, we should of beaten Liverpool 3-0 - Senderos missed a sitter and Andi had an easy chance. We were creating chances from set pieces and it caused Liverpool problems all game. Senderos ghosting in and around the box was hard to deal with for their defence.

VillaSeason_3205638.jpg

Aston Villa

To say that the presence of Aston Villa as Chelsea's closest challengers is a surprise would be a drastic understatement. After three eminently 'winnable' fixtures to start the season, Paul Lambert's side's recent victory at Liverpool was one of the biggest shocks of the season to date.

However, initially it appears that not much about Villa has changed. They have still mustered the fewest shots in the league (33) and rank 19th for both possession and pass accuracy. How, then, are they second in the table?

The one thing that Lambert, Keane and co. have really looked to remedy was their woeful defensive record.

Villa signed the likes of Philippe Senderos and Aly Cissokho over the summer and have extended an olive branch - and a new three-year deal - in the direction of Alan Hutton.

All of these decisions were pretty widely criticised - that Villa have the best defensive record in the league at present (just one conceded) has taken all by surprise, but they've deserved it.

Extremely well-organised over the first four games, only Stoke have conceded fewer shots on target (10), with only six sides having conceded more in that regard last season (175).

Link

So basically we still can't really keep the ball but our defence is much better so far? Simples.

Paul Lambert has stuck to Randy Lerners remit so that is why he has got the extension.

No one else is going to be able to come in and deliver better results than Lambert with the resources he has IMO

It may not be pretty to watch but it is where we are.

A great result at Anfield but watching us defend for 60 minutes was painful.

The teams tactics are improving and everyone seems to know what they're job is

Will be interesting to see if they can push on and develop the attacking side of their game without losing the solid defence.

• Like 1

Looks like the hyperbole police are out in force today. Pathetic response to one defeat.

Erm could you please point me in the direction of said hyperbole?

I'd imagine that if the hyperbole police were out in force (and they were any good at their job), there oughtn't to be much of it around. :)

• Like 1

Looks like the hyperbole police are out in force today. Pathetic response to one defeat.

I've seen one angry reaction on this thread and some sarcastic comments trying to take the piss.

Poor performance but plenty of valid reasons to excuse it. A good 30 mins but after that 3 minute spell the game was over.

Dissapointing but let's hope its a blip.

• Like 1

We will never make the CL with performances like that, he's a **** disgrace and we need to get rid before we drop out of the top 6 completely.

I mean he can't even cook the chicken properly, let alone get his tactics right.

I've seen one angry reaction on this thread and some sarcastic comments trying to take the piss.

Poor performance but plenty of valid reasons to excuse it. A good 30 mins but after that 3 minute spell the game was over.

Dissapointing but let's hope its a blip.

Exactly.

All these sarcastic mocking response to a complete non event. Do you get double points if you point score early?

• Like 2

Â