Paul Lambert

limpid

Reading the quotes from Tom Fox, I'd question how a club up for sale can have a long term strategy.

If Lerner has had a change of heart surely he needs to communicate this with the fans.

I thought the exact same thing. Unless any "long term strategy" is for as long as the club is up for sale for before being bought, it makes no sense. If a Bajillionaire comes in tomorrow and gives Randy the money he wants, is that the long term strategy over?

Tbh I don't think the start we've made has had anything to do with him getting the contract. Id imagine talks have been going on well before season started

If true it baffles me even more. The owner tells the world he wants out but at the same time is talking to Lambert about a 4 year contract. That makes no sense to me.

We should keep Lambert because:

- our play is improving?

- overall results warrant a longer contract?

- our squad's ability has enhanced?

These are valid reasons. And, imo, he hasn't proved any of them yet.

You've got to be kidding right?

Not at all.

I would hasten to add that having a good start so far this season does not constitute "improvement". We started last season well too.

Reading the quotes from Tom Fox, I'd question how a club up for sale can have a long term strategy.

If Lerner has had a change of heart surely he needs to communicate this with the fans.

I thought the exact same thing. Unless any "long term strategy" is for as long as the club is up for sale for before being bought, it makes no sense. If a Bajillionaire comes in tomorrow and gives Randy the money he wants, is that the long term strategy over?

Of course, yeah. They have to plan for different eventualities.

I lost faith in PL at the end of last season and I am at the open mind stage now, We all know confidence is the big difference between doing well and failing, the new players have boosted our confidence and I hope it continues and the team start to play more football, even if we start to loose the confidence then it will be reinvigorated with the return of the beast. This will be a good season for us and hopefully PL will be able to grow the side from a positive position rather than the poor state we have been in. It was right to give him the extension as this stability will hopefully enable us to get the other players to sign up. Love PL or hate him we all want the same thing and that is a good side that actually look like they can win a game. sometimes it just takes the 1 catalyst to change things at a club and kick start a run. how far the run goes we dont know but we will all enjoy the trip.

Maybe the long term strategy is for the club to remain up for sale and whilst it remains that way it will continue to be run in a professional way, whereby it keeps hold of, what the existing management deems to be, it's main assets.

Seems pretty sensible to me.

I'm a huge Lambert fan and think getting him on a 4 year deal is excellent. Time to build us back up to top 8 team where we belong. 

I am a tad worried Lerner will take the club off the market though. I do want rid of him for some fresh investment. 

• Like 2

We should keep Lambert because:

- our play is improving?

- overall results warrant a longer contract?

- our squad's ability has enhanced?

These are valid reasons. And, imo, he hasn't proved any of them yet.

You've got to be kidding right?

Not at all.

I would hasten to add that having a good start so far this season does not constitute "improvement". We started last season well too.

Fair point Ozzy.

The Liverpool display, whilst defensively a major improvement, still resembled the backs-to-the-wall performances often seen from Villa in the last couple of seasons. Great if we win but not so great if we capitulate.

I still think the season will contain ups and downs but don't think we'll be in fear of relegation like the last 2-3 seasons. However, I would like to think that we will be a stronger and more physical team who won't get bullied around like the past few seasons, and that alone makes me a lot happier as a Villa fan.

playing 4 strikers against Bradford with no midfielders to supply them,

Jesus, dont hold grudges do you!
No, you're right, I don't. I was just listing some times when Lambert has shown he still gas a lot to learn :S

Never understand this pretty football thing, all I want is as many points at possible, look at Jose he's won it all twice playing brutal football. 

Why I may be in the minority here watching a team, defend that well & show so much commitment, organisation & concentration was for me not only entertaining but made me proud. Here were Liverpool at home, a team who must have scored 100 goals last year, granted Suarez was out of the equation but they still had £16m Balotelli, £25m Adam Lallana, £20m Markovic, all who cost more than our entire first xi. If people want to go to Anfield & dominate possession and get frustrated at the result they might as well start supporting Liverpool.

• Like 3

Absolutely zero mention of this on the BBC football page.

Unusually not so, squire.

T'was on the main football page yesterday, along with a little pic of PL punching the air, and is still on the Aston Villa BBC page today.

Fairy nuff. I only heard about it (from VT) late yesterday, so I assumed it would be on the BBC main page this morning.
  • Like 1

I understand the really tough position Lambert was in when he took over Villa. He had to lower the wage bill from a team that just escaped relegation. Had to exile experienced players like Hutton et el. Then couldn't sign any experienced players last summer, not to mention the injuries to Benteke, Okore and Kozak really cost us. We were 10th when we beat Chelsea. Losing Benteke and the negative impact of Culverhouse has to be key to our bad run in. 

Lambert has learned from this, given a bit of freedom for wages he brought in two excellent players on a free. Brought in Keane who has put a serious amount of organisation and steel into the team. We look like a proper top 10 side... without Benteke.

Hell Yes Sign Lambert Up. 

Hopefully we sign Keane up too. Think the combination of those two really works, but I fear Keane might be ready for a managers role if we continue our good run. 

Keane already has a 2 year deal, I would imagine he is happy with that for the time being.

You sure it's not a 1 year deal? 2 years is good as I'm sure post Euro 2016 he'll go get a managers job and not stay assistant. 

Â