Paul Lambert

limpid

The sooner Lambert goes the better. I can't see us not battling relegation all season, a new manager couldn't do any worse.

Players in the wrong positions, awful tactics, we don't even look like we have any sort of game plan. It might be pre season I dont care, performances matter. Benteke has covered up for what is a completely awful team.

Apart from Vlaar, Benteke, Guzan and Delph none of these lot will play in the Premier League unless its with us, they aren't good enough.

Rightly or wrongly if we have a poor start there will be no period of grace for Lambert. A large vocal section will be on his back just as we found in the last quarter of last season. That in itself whilst understandable won't help.

For numerous reasons Lambert should no longer be manager of this great club and the above is just another one. I think had Lerner not have put the club up for sale he'd have been gone, had we have been taken over he'd have been gone. The reason he remains manager is that Lerner either doesn't want the hassle of bringing someone else in or knows given the circumstances they would face he would struggle to attract a half decent manager. Lambert is therefore here for all the wrong reasons and he probably knows that himself. I'm sure he still believes he can turn things around here and start to rebuild his reputation. I'd love to believe that can happen but it is the stuff of fairy's and pipe dreams.

• Like 3

I for one will fully support the manager.  Booing and turning on the team and staff serves no positive purpose for the club.  Lerner is the main cause of whats been going on at the club for the past 4 seasons and any manager would struggle under the circumstances being placed on our manager.   At the end of the day it's our club not Lerners, he will be gone eventually but we will be still here living and breathing Aston Villa and I want to be seeing us in the Premiership for many years.  

No doubt we need a couple of signings and if we get proper quality in the positions needed then we will be fine.  Lerner open the cheque book and insure we have the squad to stay up or you will be taking a big hit on your 200m asking price.  Although judging by the last few seasons it appears that he is prepared to gamble or is just a complete idiot. The latter is probably closer to the truth and I'll remember his time at the club as shambolic. 

• Like 2

Who do people honestly think we'd be able to get to take over with the club in limbo?

Like it or not it's best for the club if Lambert's stays for the time being. More upheaval would just make things worse.

• Like 1

It was a pre season friendly. I know you don't want to hear that but that's what it was.

I'm not his biggest fan but Christ.

I'm with you on this but I think with the season so close it's just a reminder of how bad last year was.

It may only be pre-season workouts, but judging by those that have seen the game, we surrender possession or fail to embrace it....... at an alarming rate.

Possession  alone is not the holy grail to all that is football....but to not indulge in it at all, is equally as damaging.

Unless we start to embrace this aspect of the beautiful game....I fear we will be seriously undone.

Right now I fear for our future.

I was frustrated like many Villa fans at the back end of last season and yes I shouted at Lambert over yet another poor performance- Fulham at home and Palace away still bring back bad memories. But having the summer to recover I do have sympathy for Lambert's situation. A record 10 home defeats and annual cup humiliations do not help, but how the man is supposed to do a decent job with the omishambles above him? He has been stoic in the situation and not complained or had a hissy fit like O'Neill. In normal circumstances the 2 seasons so far should mean he would have had his p45 by now and starting a career as a dull pundit. But the last 2 years has not been a normal football club at Villa, and I am prepared to give him another chance to at least steady the ship and keep us up until/if a takeover happens.

• Like 3

It was a pre season friendly. I know you don't want to hear that but that's what it was.

I'm with you on this but I think with the season so close it's just a reminder of how bad last year was.

It means nothing. When we finished league runners up we were beaten at Crewe, for example. We've also had seasons where we've played well in pre-season game and then gone on to struggle.

Minutes on the pitch to get fitness levels up is ALL that matters in pre-season games. Players aren't going to bust a gut and risk picking up a niggling injury, or worse,

Lamberts job is to get the players fitness levels up, ready for the season. If that means playing players out of position, or playing defensive partnerships that are less than ideal then so be it.

All the players, regardless of how far down the pecking order they may be, need to get minutes on the pitch.

• Like 3

If he has got absolutely no money to work with I'm really wondering why he hasn't walked already? Whilst i'm not a big fan of his I am grateful he hasn't left, we would really be in the shit then.

Before the transfer window he was continuously stating how much the squad needed investment. If he's been told there isn't going to be any, I'm shocked he didn't walk at that point. I wouldn't have blamed him if he did either unlike MON. Lerner has asked a lot of Lambert over the past 2 years, he should really reward him with a bit of cash to use in the transfer market (assuming he hasn't.)

If he has got absolutely no money to work with I'm really wondering why he hasn't walked already? Whilst i'm not a big fan of his I am grateful he hasn't left, we would really be in the shit then.

Before the transfer window he was continuously stating how much the squad needed investment. If he's been told there isn't going to be any, I'm shocked he didn't walk at that point. I wouldn't have blamed him if he did either unlike MON. Lerner has asked a lot of Lambert over the past 2 years, he should really reward him with a bit of cash to use in the transfer market (assuming he hasn't.)

I don't think for one minute the reason he hasn't walked is because of some noble reason that he wants to see the job out. It's probably because he wants to be sacked and receive a fat pay out. Gone are the days where managers did the decent thing and resigned when they weren't up to the job and they walked away with dignity. Now it's all about cold hard cash.

Lambert and Lerner are a stain on this club. I just hope and pray there's a buyer out there who'll put us out of our misery.

It means nothing. When we finished league runners up we were beaten at Crewe, for example. We've also had seasons where we've played well in pre-season game and then gone on to struggle.

Minutes on the pitch to get fitness levels up is ALL that matters in pre-season games. Players aren't going to bust a gut and risk picking up a niggling injury, or worse,

Lamberts job is to get the players fitness levels up, ready for the season. If that means playing players out of position, or playing defensive partnerships that are less than ideal then so be it.

All the players, regardless of how far down the pecking order they may be, need to get minutes on the pitch.

I agree with all that but after 4 poor years fans are bound to be concerned about the upcoming season and performances like todays just contribute to legitimate concerns.

the problem with "its only preseason" is that we can see all the same problems as last season - poor starts and conceding early goals, no shape, defence all over the place and a powderpuff midfield, pathetic ball retention, sitting back and having to constantly chase the game. if lambert couldnt get it sorted over a whole season its not suddenly going to get sorted in two weeks.

but then i dont think lamberts got a clue how to sort it full stop.

It was only really a bit of last season that was bad. If we can maintain similar form that we did up until March last season and avoid another Christmas and end of season collapse we'll be fine.

Err...no. After the Southampton victory in November we amassed just 19 points in 24 games. So basically we were crap for about two-thirds of the season. Any season in which you finish below 40 points has been an utterly atrocious one.

• Like 3

Â