Paul Lambert

limpid

I don't agree. I think we were ok for a lot of the season but the collapses over Christmas and at the end of the season completely ruined what would've otherwise been a steady season.

Nonsense.  It wasn't just Christmas and the end of the season at all.  We won 5 games out of the last 19 games, exactly the same as we in the first 19 games.  We played quite well in the first few games and didn't get as many points as we deserved, up until Newcastle at home when we were dreadful.  After that it was mostly dismal fare, apart from a handful of games such as Chelsea at home, Norwich at home and Sunderland away.  We were dire to watch for the most part of the season, without doubt.

I don't think it's nonsense at all. Fact is after we'd just beaten Chelsea most were reasonably content with how the season had panned out up until that point. As I said, if you actually look at where our defeats came the majority were clustered in December and at the very end of the season. I don't actually think we were anywhere near as bad to watch for the rest of the season as some people like to make out either.

Firstly, the home form was dire all season.  And before the Norwich and Chelsea wins, we'd won something like 2 games out of 14 including being beaten at home by Sheffield United in the cup.  People were FAR from satisfied, and even the Chelsea game was seen as something as a blip by some, which was spot on as it turned out.

There are two weeks to go until the start of the new season, can't we look forward towards that rather than once again picking over the bones of last season and having exactly the same circular arguments that have been done 100 times?

People aren't going to change their perspectives on last season so time to start falling out over the coming season surely? :)

On Lambert, I'm curious to see how he is going to have us lining up at Stoke in the absence of the two big guys up front, also interested to see what the starting CB pairing is, I hope it's Vlaar and Okore.

• Like 2

Not really. At that point we were 10th which as I said, is nothing to shout about but isn't bad either. If we were so poor for most of last season we wouldn't have been in a decent position come March.

Well I disagree. I think that amount of points from that amount of games is poor regardless of the league position we were in at the time.

There are two weeks to go until the start of the new season, can't we look forward towards that rather than once again picking over the bones of last season and having exactly the same circular arguments that have been done 100 times?

People aren't going to change their perspectives on last season so time to start falling out over the coming season surely? :)

On Lambert, I'm curious to see how he is going to have us lining up at Stoke in the absence of the two big guys up front, also interested to see what the starting CB pairing is, I hope it's Vlaar and Okore.

I'm curious as to how he sets us up.

If we go with a 4-3-3 then I hope bent is our main striker and nzogbia is one of the wide players.

I wouldn't be against a 5-3-2 with Richardson and Hutton as wing backs, nzogbia behind a front two of bent and weimman.

What I hope he doesn't do is play gabby and weimman as wide attackers and pretty much continue with what didn't work last year. I hope to see some sort of progression in the way we actually play football, after two years he should be able to start doing that. I also hope to see a very different defence than last year and hope the players make a difference and that Lambert can actually organise them properly.

Just read the sun and lamberts quote after groningen game the man is a real joker he just cannot and will not blame players he just defends then all the time Man up lambert you numpty. "You dont want a bad display but i told the players you don't get prizes for winning or losing these games" time to go paul.

Anyone that didn't consider last season as absolutely woeful obviously wasn't watching the same shower of shit as me week after week

Things will come to a head within a month this season. The majority don't like Lambert already, every poll last season showed he'd lost the supporters. A couple of bad defeats early on and it'll kick off big style

And that'll be on Randy's head because the useless clearing in the woods should've been sacked last Christmas

• Like 4

So because he didn't publically slag off his players you're angry?

Jesus Christ, any old stick.

Tell me when he ever has blasted them he always states "we go again" or "i cant fault the lads for effort" he is hopeless his man nanagement is poor his tactics poor his interviews poor overall shocking shocking appointment. He comes into club signs kids bombs experience players the a few years later bombs his own players totally clueless manager.

Anyone that didn't consider last season as absolutely woeful obviously wasn't watching the same shower of shit as me week after week

Things will come to a head within a month this season. The majority don't like Lambert already, every poll last season showed he'd lost the supporters. A couple of bad defeats early on and it'll kick off big style

And that'll be on Randy's head because the useless clearing in the woods should've been sacked last Christmas

Too right it will mate very accurate post id be suprised if it takes a month a big defeat early and its gunna be off the scale

Especially with the fixtures up until end of september time where i fail to see us picking up a single point unless we repeat some of the freak results last season

Too right it will mate very accurate post id be suprised if it takes a month a big defeat early and its gunna be off the scale

This is the biggest relevance for me that last season has in relation to this one. The attitude towards Lambert from supporters, especially away from home, was poisonous at the back end of last season. The only way to prevent that continuing is for us to have a half decent start. If we don't, whether you agree with it or not, the natural reaction for many will be to get on the managers back vocally at games.

Had we have changed manager he would of at least been given a period of grace pretty much regardless of results. Lambert has gone way past having that luxury with a large amount of vocal supporters.

I really dread the atmosphere at games if we do start off poorly and once the ball starts rolling and the fans are again on his back the whole atmosphere will become very poisonous. I hope for all our sakes, including Lamberts, that we make a relatively decent start.

Edited by markavfc40
  • Like 1

tl;dr version, I disagree. Opinions eh?

Lambert's lack of tactical awareness, negative demeanor, lack of player motivation, etc... gives me very little hope for the future. A poor start to the season and the majority of us should get what we want. Saying that Randy still needs to sell the club.

Well, given we havent bought a striker, I imagine it will be a case of 'we go again' with the same as last season.

Unless of course he intends to play Senderos up front which quite frankly, wouldn't surprise me in the slightest!

No we weren't. That's the thing - you can end up with a poor points total without actually being poor for the majority of the season. All it takes is a bit of really awful form.

Yes that "bit" being 19 points from 24 games. Anyway, this is starting to enter 'banging head against the wall' territory so we'll have to agree to disagree I guess.

Edited by Isa

Yes, only two weeks until we can carry on having he same arguments as before, only about the new season! ;)

Looking forward to Lambert serving up the same old dross, saying the same inane mumblings after another loss, and then us having the same well-rehearsed arguments on here.  GroundhogDaytalk!

I don't agree. I think we were ok for a lot of the season but the collapses over Christmas and at the end of the season completely ruined what would've otherwise been a steady season.

Nonsense.  It wasn't just Christmas and the end of the season at all.  We won 5 games out of the last 19 games, exactly the same as we in the first 19 games.  We played quite well in the first few games and didn't get as many points as we deserved, up until Newcastle at home when we were dreadful.  After that it was mostly dismal fare, apart from a handful of games such as Chelsea at home, Norwich at home and Sunderland away.  We were dire to watch for the most part of the season, without doubt.

I don't think it's nonsense at all. Fact is after we'd just beaten Chelsea most were reasonably content with how the season had panned out up until that point. As I said, if you actually look at where our defeats came the majority were clustered in December and at the very end of the season. I don't actually think we were anywhere near as bad to watch for the rest of the season as some people like to make out either.

Not doubting you, but can you back this up with stats to prove it?

Villa park will be a cauldron of fire very quick it used to be a real fotress now its a help youself buffet, lambert has got to avoid a monster drubbing and be true to himself and us fans if player dont perform he has to act and drop them from starting eleven. For too long lambert has persisted with the misfiring gabby and andi it must change.

Â