Paul Lambert

limpid

What I'm trying to get at DelboyVilla is that most of us would be happy at this present time in seeing progression in our football. There is an acceptance that we won't be challenging any time soon for top six or trophies and yet those who keep saying this are still being criticised for being less than realistic in their expectations because they criticise performances.

I don't criticise performances because I think we should be top four, I criticise performances due to those performances not being of a certain level that the fans here expect.

Take the most recent game against Fulham. There have been several posters who have stated that Fulham won the game due to wanting it more and that may be correct. If that is so then the manager should take some flak for the players not being motivated enough and the players even more as we are not yet safe.

Our standard of football with the exception of games you can count comfortably on one hand has been poor and been poor for two seasons now. There is very little movement off the ball and very little ability to retain possession which should reflect on the manager and coaches.

This is what I and others have criticised and will continue to criticise because Aston Villa fans should at the very least have a team playing decent football if we are to accept non competitive football in the top half and we have already accepted that.

It really is beginning to get on my goat that it's unrealistic to criticise the team or manager at all depending on what excuse is currently en vogue.

Of course we have a right as fans to criticise as long as those criticisms are realistic within the current circumstances and for the most part they certainly have been.

Edited by shaggy
  • Like 3

There is no expectation of top six finishes or trophies.

I expect top 6 finishes to be honest

Well that settles that then.

Just stating my opinion. And yes for me my mind is made up.

Poor management from the very top of our club has caused this situation and until there is a change from the chairman to the tea lady then we will always be the play thing of a spoilt little rich boy after he's got bored with it.

Eames you talk of the 1890's well check your history because we had a little bit of success 90 years later in the 1980's which many of us can remember.

We can agree on the poor management, both at executive and operational level. I suppose I just chose not to express my frustration in the form of electronic histrionics.  

I'm well aware of 1982 and all that but its about as relevent to our current plight as 1966 is to the England team, or Forest who by that logic are twice as great a club as we are.

Haha just read the things that piss you off thread.

Just seems a case of people annoyed they've been proved wrong. Villa fans more annoyed with other fans wanting their club to do better than with how poor the club they support is doing. That doesn't make much sense to me.

• Like 3

For me I don't think we have ever had a consistant starting 11 at all this season - and for a squad that is young and only been together for 1 season then that's going to give you a very stop start season, which we've had. If we had have kept the majority injury free, we'd be long safe now.

Sacking Lambert for me is pointless - no matter what manager we had, these two seasons would have happened and they needed to.

Next season is the one for me. He has built an affordable sustainable base - almost cleared out all the expensive shite. Now it's time for Randy to give him that bit extra for the sissoko, holtby, lukakau and barrys of this world.

I'm still with Lambert, and have always expected the early seasons in charge to be tough as a supporter. For me Lambert has done his part, I believe he was told to keep us up on the cheap.

It's over to Randy now - otherwise whichever manager comes in, it wont change.

• Like 2

It makes no sense to me. Watching the club you support be shit is classed as less than ideal. People unhappy with the club they support being shit pisses you off.

I find it very strange.

Relative to us Leeds are shit. Relative to them Wolves are shit. Relative to them Portsmouth are shit. Shitness is relative and we really don't have it so bad.

That said, I am unhappy when our club isn't making progress or fulfilling it's potential. I feel the changes currently being made to our squad and that squad's wage structure are progress from where we previously were heading. I'm disappointed with how Bent has been cut so far adrift his transfer value is nearly £0 (maybe that wasn't such a bad thing considering his contribution at Fulham) but I think we're in a position where our squad is pretty much all improving for the next few years.

10 home defeats is **** appalling though, that shouldn't even happen to a relegated club. That shit needs to change.

• Like 3

But we are a great club, albeit not a great team. And speaking as someone who was at Rotterdam in 82, we have fallen a long way. All I know is, fans of Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal, and a few others besides, would not tolerate such mediocrity, so why should we. In our time we have been and should be on a par with those clubs. We are the Second city of this nation. To expect a level of standing within the game commensurate with that, is not in my opinion unreasonable. 

I do not think anyone disputes our reputation and potential but we are seriously lacking investment. It is no coincidence our most recent successful period (under MON) was accompanied with greater financial resources. 

Edited by GENTLEMAN
  • Like 1

For me I don't think we have ever had a consistant starting 11 at all this season - and for a squad that is young and only been together for 1 season then that's going to give you a very stop start season, which we've had. If we had have kept the majority injury free, we'd be long safe now.

Sacking Lambert for me is pointless - no matter what manager we had, these two seasons would have happened and they needed to.

Next season is the one for me. He has built an affordable sustainable base - almost cleared out all the expensive shite. Now it's time for Randy to give him that bit extra for the sissoko, holtby, lukakau and barrys of this world.

I'm still with Lambert, and have always expected the early seasons in charge to be tough as a supporter. For me Lambert has done his part, I believe he was told to keep us up on the cheap.

It's over to Randy now - otherwise whichever manager comes in, it wont change.

Im 90% certain Randy is selling up.  Everything that he has done over the past 2 years points towards this.

• Like 2

But we are a great club, albeit not a great team. And speaking as someone who was at Rotterdam in 82, we have fallen a long way. All I know is, fans of Liverpool, Manchester United, Arsenal, and a few others besides, would not tolerate such mediocrity, so why should we. In our time we have been and should be on a par with those clubs. We are the Second city of this nation. To expect a level of standing within the game commensurate with that, is not in my opinion unreasonable.

I do not think anyone disputes our reputation and potential but we are seriously lacking investment. It is no coincidence our most recent successful period (under MON) was accompanied with greater financial resources.

I understand fully the reasons for our decline. My reply was in response to a previous poster deriding fans for talking about about Villa as a great club and falling far as "pseudo emotional bullshit". Such comments should not go unchallenged.

• Like 2

Im 90% certain Randy is selling up.  Everything that he has done over the past 2 years points towards this.

As long as he sells to those lovely invest loads of money, make you a giant, PSG / Citeh type owners and not those want a piece of the limelight, change the clubs name / colours and appoint his son's friend as goalkeeper type managers.

The only thing the Daily Mail sums up is that ogling at young children is acceptable as long as it's presented as news.

Apropos nothing at all really, but is there a bigger town or city in Europe that has never had a team play in the Champions League?

Cologne?

As long as he sells to those lovely invest loads of money, make you a giant, PSG / Citeh type owners and not those want a piece of the limelight, change the clubs name / colours and appoint his son's friend as goalkeeper type managers.

The only thing the Daily Mail sums up is that ogling at young children is acceptable as long as it's presented as news.

Apropos nothing at all really, but is there a bigger town or city in Europe that has never had a team play in the Champions League?

Cologne?

Berlin?

It maybe true that Lerner wont invest until he sees progress how ever limited this might be. You shouldn't award regression.

It may seem like we need to spend money to progress. But Lerner has been burnt before this way. So unless Lambert shows more, I Cannot see any big investment under this manager!

There is no expectation of top six finishes or trophies.

I expect top 6 finishes to be honest

Well that settles that then.

Just stating my opinion. And yes for me my mind is made up.

Poor management from the very top of our club has caused this situation and until there is a change from the chairman to the tea lady then we will always be the play thing of a spoilt little rich boy after he's got bored with it.

Eames you talk of the 1890's well check your history because we had a little bit of success 90 years later in the 1980's which many of us can remember.

We can agree on the poor management, both at executive and operational level. I suppose I just chose not to express my frustration in the form of electronic histrionics.  

I'm well aware of 1982 and all that but its about as relevent to our current plight as 1966 is to the England team, or Forest who by that logic are twice as great a club as we are.

There is only one person resorting to histrionics my friend and that is you making the statements you do. No one is deluded by thinking we are a great club and most people I speak to from away from the midlands areas see us as a big club performing poorly. That's the perception people have of us and listen to people like Jamie Carragher.

Are Forest twice as great as us? Well no but you are just picking arguments now. Forest are a very good club and had a great team that dominated Europe for a couple of seasons and I admit that they had one of the best teams I had the pleasure to watch at VP. They have not had the fortune to have been in the Premier League  for the whole time and yo-yoing just causes in stability. Look at their search for a manager recently however it was quite big news why? They are a big club.

Anyway just because people want and expect their club to be successful does not make them deluded or better fans or histrionic. It doesn't mean that everyone has to agree with them either we all have opinions. 

We just snuck past that 4 years ago and haven't achieved it for the 3 years that followed. Also looks unlikely we'll manage it next year given theres been no improvement in 2 years. On top of that our current fans have experienced more losses at home than any supporters in our 140 year history.

I'm not sure why it pisses you off that fans expect better.

Its not the expectation that pisses me off. Its the whining and the rhetoric that gets me. I want and expect Villa to do well, I expect the players to give 100%, not to **** up, and the manager to know his arse from his elbow tactically.

The delusion of grandeur is what really gets to me.

What delusion of grandeur?

There is no expectation of top six finishes or trophies. The whining as you call it is posters criticising performances by the team and manager. Have you watched us at all over the past two seasons in particular?

I expect top 6 finishes to be honest and that's where we should be as a club. That's my expectation and I don't care what others expect.

same here, obviously its not possible every year but I think as a club that should be our goal. Don't get me wrong the europa league as its now called aint nowhere near what it used to be but this club should be aiming for the top 6
  • Like 2

At least losing to the bottom side at home has forced some in the national media to take note:

Villa have made no progress under Lambert and he needs a miracle to save his job

By Gerard Brand

10:39 07 Apr 2014, updated 10:39 07 Apr 2014

They're one of seven ever-present clubs in the Premier League and have had nearly 26 consecutive years in the top flight, but mediocrity has been Aston Villa's only consistent theme in recent years.

The feeling after the 2-1 defeat by Fulham on Saturday was more of familiarity than shock, more of continued misery than knee-jerk anger. It is now extremely difficult to argue Paul Lambert's side are making progress.

By many Villa fans' reckoning, he has until December at the latest to produce a miracle and save his job.

It is in vogue to plead for faith and time in a manager but patience comes with signs of progress. For lack of these signs, Lambert's reign will be over soon, but only after the formalities of a 'three-year plan' are completed. That is, give the man two-and-a-half years.

Villa should be safe for this term - they may do it with fewer than 40 points. For the first time in their 140-year history they have lost 10 home games in a season. Last term they clocked up nine. Many other managers would have been axed with such a record.

Lambert's young side do not feel at home in the second city, and from front to back show a frantic nervousness you don't expect to see in the Premier League.

The high standards inside Villa Park do not help, but the groans represent a frustration present since Martin O'Neill abruptly left five days before the start of the 2010-11 season having attempted to lift Villa from mid-table to fourth with a big kitty.

Much of the blame has been directed towards the club's quiet, vigilant owner Randy Lerner, the easiest of targets. Fans feel the American has not helped Villa out when they need it most. The opposite is true.

The club cannot offer hefty wages, haven't spent over £8million on a player since 2011 and are forced to buy cheap. This much is true.

But Lerner is attempting to make Villa sustainable, self-sufficient, and more importantly, is not rewarding failure with cash. An old-fashioned yet commendable way of running a football club. In today's age of quick fixes, this was never going to sit well.

Criticism should be reserved. Recent accounts show how the American waived £90.1m of loans to keep the club moving along, a price to pay for his monetary faith in O'Neill between 2006 and 2010.

With £120m spent in four years, huge wage bills and no Champions League football to show for it during O'Neill's tenure (they were five points clear of Arsenal in March 2009 with a game in hand) Villa are still suffering from a big swing and an even bigger miss.

The accounts also indicate that if Villa were to be relegated, huge financial trouble could be just around the corner. Depending on which side you are on, this either justifies Lerner's budget cuts, or represents the huge risk he is taking.

CEO Paul Faulkner has also taken some hefty criticism, but that comes with the territory being the club's only spokesman on the board when the discontent from the stands reaches a crescendo.

Whichever view you take, faith should be put in Lerner to rebuild the team with investment when this period of recovery is over. That time will come, but the right manager is needed.

For the fans, the belief in Lambert has deteriorated. For every hit signing there have been two misses, somewhat forgiven on such a budget. But his tactics are glaringly deficient.

The away form should be of no concern. Sitting 10th in the travelling table this term and eighth last, Villa are almost entertaining outside Birmingham.

They use the ball in short bursts, moving at speed and hitting hard. But no team built a good season on away form alone, just ask Manchester United.

At home is where Lambert shows himself up. The Scot shows little variation in tactics from home and away, and his side look stumped when the ball is at their feet and the onus is on building an attack rather than counter attacking.

The result is bundles of possession but no edge. Side-to-side, a phobia of the final third and a fondness for the easy option, just what the fans don't want to see.

The shoestring budget excuse cannot constantly be used to explain away this tactical incapability.

Lambert spent £6.1m on Libor Kozak in the summer, a decent yet limited forward at a time Villa were crying out for creativity. They have suffered without it.

You can can count on one hand how many times they have outplayed their visitors in the last two seasons. The backbone is there; Brad Guzan, Ron Vlaar, Fabian Delph and the powerful, if sometimes hit-and-miss, Christian Benteke. But the belief, man-management and quality of those surrounding it is not.

So, who is to blame? The budget players? An owner who is quite literally paying for previous ambition? Or a manager who has had little to work with but does even less to help himself?

Fans face this dilemma: back Lambert wholeheartedly in an age of rash sackings, or call for his head. You can ask Manchester United how that feels, too.

The owner has the same conundrum. Lambert had a three-year plan, but after almost two years of mediocrity, he has done little to suggest he will take Villa to anywhere near Europe in the coming years. On December 15, 2012, after beating Liverpool 3-1 at Anfield, he said he would.

A decent top-half finish next season may save his job. The odds are stacked against him even reaching that target.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2598411/Paul-Lambert-needs-miracle-save-job-Aston-Villa.html

Â