Paul Lambert

limpid

Some just don't seem to realise that we are never going to be able to dominate possession against the likes of Chelsea and City. That doesn't mean we can't play good football against them though and have more chances.

Where on earth have you got the impression that anyone expects us to dominate possession against these sides? I haven't seen anyone say anything of the sort, just sensationalising to belittle what you don't agree with. The world isn't that black and white, it's not just dominate or be dominated there is a middle ground.

Possession doesn't mean anything if you don't do anything with it. Look at Swansea at the moment. The possession stat didn't bother me on Saturday because we created the most even before Willian was sent off. When we hoof it and invite pressure like Everton away that's just poor football.

The other side of the coin was Palace at home, we had something like 68% possession yet created nothing! they had all the chances so deserved to win IMO.

I think the issue some posters have in this thread are as follows:

We beat / do well against the top sides in the county. Why? Because they need to win every game, so they attack at every opportunity. This plays to our strengths as we can hit on the break.

Every other team in the league will settle for at least a point away from home, and that's where the problems for us begin. If a team sets up to nick a point at Villa Park, we're probably not going to break them down as our plan A is to counter attack, and our plan B is, well, I'm not entirely sure what our plan B is.

Often we've had matches we're we've had decent possession stats (as debated on the previous pages) but we've not been able to capitalise.

I've been as unsure about Lambert as some people on here, but for the last couple of weeks I've actually enjoyed being a Villa fan. It's been amazing to see us actually win some football matches at home, and against Chelsea, I think we played really well. Let's look to build on this for the remainder of the season, but this is also what happened last year. Next season it would be great if we actually played like this from day one and stuck to a system.

Edited by TJVilla
  • Like 1

Some just don't seem to realise that we are never going to be able to dominate possession against the likes of Chelsea and City. That doesn't mean we can't play good football against them though and have more chances.

And some don't realise that we wont ever get into top 8 with our current possession rate.

I haven't seen anyone suggest that.

Where on earth have you got the impression that anyone expects us to dominate possession against these sides? I haven't seen anyone say anything of the sort, just sensationalising to belittle what you don't agree with. The world isn't that black and white, it's not just dominate or be dominated there is a middle ground.

I'm not sensationalising. People are moaning about possession stats in games which we've won and often played well. It's almost as if some people aren't just content with winning these games at the moment.

Jesus. will you lot stop trying to trip each other up it goes like this all anyone cares about firstly is the result. All agreed? Good. Secondly it is the performance was it enjoyable to watch? All agreed? Good. Thirdly we look at stats as way in which we might be able to improve points one and two. All agreed? Good.

We can put that to bed now surely as there cant be a view point separate to that.

I'm sure I stated this earlier in this thread - may as well do it again.

Possession stats mean bugger all. We could have Vlaar pass it back to Guzan and vice-versa all game. Our possession stats would rocket - but so what? We will have created nothing.

What matters is "effective possession". That is, how many chances/freekicks/corners/<insert measurement here> do we create with the possession we have?

Against the top sides, we have been excellent since we are good on the counter. Against the lower teams we have struggled since we do not break down teams well.

Obviously, in order to progress, we need to work on our ability to break teams down so that our "effective possession" against them is better.

• Like 3

And some don't realise that we wont ever get into top 8 with our current possession rate.

I haven't seen anyone suggest that.

True. But you're perfectly happy to throw the very same lame argument above. What gives? 

You can laugh at possession stats all you want, but take a look at the top 8 sides in the league, do you find any of them having a possession rate of under 50 %?

Sorry to pick on your statements again but I think you will find that we finished in 6th only a few years ago averaging less than 50% possession over the season.

This is ridicilous. I'm not saying I'm unhappy with our victories.

This quote suggests otherwise.

What annoys me this season is games like Everton away and also that lucky City win a home.

Usually being 'annoyed' and 'happy' are exclusive.

Yes, our playing style annoyed me, not the result.

Maybe, just maybe, those playing styles were required to beat those teams.

If you'd tried to use the same argument to highlight where we've struggled to win then you may have a point.

This is ridicilous. I'm not saying I'm unhappy with our victories.

This quote suggests otherwise.

What annoys me this season is games like Everton away and also that lucky City win a home.

Usually being 'annoyed' and 'happy' are exclusive.

Yes, our playing style annoyed me, not the result.

Maybe, just maybe, those playing styles were required to beat those teams.

If you'd tried to use the same argument to highlight where we've struggled to win then you may have a point.

You can't really compare the Chelsea win to the Everton loss. Against Everton we had Holt and Benteke up front. The rest were back. We just hoofed, thats what i don't like to see

I'm pretty sure (although it would need checking by someone with time on their hands) that the team who averages most possession per game, most passes per game and the highest pass completion rate per game is sat in 14th place in the table.

That's 4 positions and 5 points worse off than Villa.  Whilst we'd obviously like to see more of the ball, let's not get too tied up in how important possession is overall.

• Like 1

I'm pretty sure (although it would need checking by someone with time on their hands) that the team who averages most possession per game, most passes per game and the highest pass completion rate per game is sat in 14th place in the table.

That's 4 positions and 5 points worse off than Villa.  Whilst we'd obviously like to see more of the ball, let's not get too tied up in how important possession is overall.

Here you go

Sort by the "Possession %" column to see it clearly.

• Like 1

Here you go

Sort by the "Possession %" column to see it clearly.

Baggies also midtable - more proof it's a load of toshy tanglers

That's 4 positions and 5 points worse off than Villa.  Whilst we'd obviously like to see more of the ball, let's not get too tied up in how important possession is overaYou make

You make is sound like you either have to play like West Ham or Barca, like there is nothing in between

No he isn't. He's merely pointing out that having tonnes of possession doesn't really anything.

And thats not what me and others mean either. It's not the case of wanting to play like Swansea, but to improve our possession stats

No he isn't. He's merely pointing out that having tonnes of possession doesn't really anything.

And thats not what me and others mean either. It's not the case of wanting to play like Swansea, but to improve our possession stats

To what end?

The irony is when the team does keep possession patiently, you can't hear yourself think in the Holte End above all the screams of "**** GET IT FORWARD!!!!!"

I find this really funny, I sometimes think that if we played like Barca you'd still hear moaning from the crowd as we pass it around the midfield.

Villa fans just like a moan I guess, I blame it on having to live in Birmingham  :ph34r:

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

Â