Paul Lambert

limpid

Personnally I think it makes more logical sense to assume that there was a AM that could have been purchased for the price of Kozak than not, that said I'm actually a fan of Kozak and think he will come good so I'm glad we bought him.

It doesn't matter how much was spent on signings, we were never going to get anything decent in with the money we were offering in wages.

When you have teams such as Stoke paying more than we do, it gives you an indication of the market we were in.

According to HH, Kozak cost £4.5 mil. I would be more inclined to believe HH than Matt Kendrick for instance.

Moving forward, there is talk of a more substantial budget in the summer. With delph putting himself in the spotlight on Saturday & Benteke hitting a bit of form, you have to be careful that the summer won't be one step forwards, two steps backwards

• Like 2

But an AM was signed, Tonev right? He may be a winger, but he's been used a bit more centrally whenever he's played this season, and even if he played as a winger, we could have gone with him on the left and Albrighton on the right.

Unfortunately that gamble didn't pay off, we bought him on good faith that Petrov's scouting judgement was sound. Plus we got him in early, hence why we may not have rushed out to get another AM after signing him. Also, why blow another £5m or so on another AM when you're on a tight budget and just bought one for £2.5m-ish.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

What do you mean by 3 poor transfer windows in a row?

In the last 3 windows he's only signed Bacuna who's been a success, and hasn't signed the "number 10" the team has been crying out for.

Bertrand? Not permanent but a signing none the less.

Okore? Looked promising.

Kozak? Has scored goals.

Steer? Decent back up keeper.

Still think it's too early to write off tonev as well.

I don't think you can say they were bad transfer windows.

But an AM was signed, Tonev right? He may be a winger, but he's been used a bit more centrally whenever he's played this season, and even if he played as a winger, we could have gone with him on the left and Albrighton on the right.

Unfortunately that gamble didn't pay off, we bought him on good faith that Petrov's scouting judgement was sound. Plus we got him in early, hence why we may not have rushed out to get another AM after signing him. Also, why blow another £5m or so on another AM when you're on a tight budget and just bought one for £2.5m-ish.

If Bennett can have a good game a possibly prove his doubters wrong than maybe Tonev can do the same

Lambert gets a hard rap with his signings, he has signed two top quality players for 10m combined, Benteke and Vlaar.

Bacuna is also looking a little bit special potentially for less than a million.

He was very unlucky to lose Okore. This time next year I expect him to be in with Benteke and Vlaar as top class signing.

Some of us like Bowery are a bit weird but come on compared to MON with his Harewoods, Sidwells, Knights and Shoreys they cost us very little and will be moved on relatively easily aswell rather than being stuck here for years. When you're shopping in the bargain basement you'll inevitably pick up a dud or two.

• Like 3

There is still much work to be done.....particularly on our consistency

I'm sure PL will be given that time to do it.

Time and a fair bit of money in both transfer fees and wages.

I have been saying since the start of the season if we can get our first 11 out more often than not then we are good enough to finish mid table. Scratch beneath that though and we are very weak. We have seen that when Vlaar is out the defense crumbles, when Benteke is out or out of form we look powder puff up top, when Delph is out/off form an already relatively weak midfield really struggles to get a foot hold in games.

If we are to move on from being mid to lower table fodder the squad needs major investment. If not then next season will be very much similar to this - sitting mid table but looking over our shoulders knowing two or three injuries or loss of form to key players and we are in deep trouble.

totally agree mark

Really like Lambert and absolutely loved the game on Saturday, I think my highlight being Vlaar's world class piece of defending on Hazard down the wing in the 1st half. If I had been going to Villa these last 2 seasons and consistently seeing that vein of performance I would have absolutely nothing to complain about but unfortunately as much as I enjoyed it, I still can't help but feel that we will bore our way to a limp 2-0 loss against Stoke on Sunday. Need to see an improvement in performance even if we don't win every game cos Im fed up of paying £400+ to watch 3-5 good halves of football a season with an occasional immense game

He tried to get a number 10 in the Summer too, but we couldn't afford the players he had identified.

Perhaps he should've scouted for players within our price-range then? Just an idea.

But then when they're not good enough (because they cost peanuts) people will moan about how shit they are.

But the £7m he spent on Kozak wasn't 'peanuts'. He had relatively significant funds to sign a decent attacking-midfielder. He could've loaned one at least.

Yeah but the wages Kozak was willing to accept are peanuts.!

I think Lambert wants to make sure he gets an attacking midfielder that will definitely make an impact and that's gonna cost money. It's the one position that will make all the difference to us when it comes to trying to break teams who set up to defend, so it will hopefully be worth waiting for.  

I think Lambert wants to make sure he gets an attacking midfielder that will definitely make an impact and that's gonna cost money. It's the one position that will make all the difference to us when it comes to trying to break teams who set up to defend, so it will hopefully be worth waiting for.

We don't know what wages Kozak is on but I'd imagine they are relatively high (by the standards we've become acquainted to in recent years anyway), probably between £20-30k per week.

As his January target Wes Hoolahan shows, not every creative player is a big-money signing. Even if he was holding out for a particular target, he could've loaned an AM as a stop-gap as there were a few of them available on loan in the summer. Notice how he had no trouble loaning a replacement for Kozak very soon after he was injured.

Anyway, we are practically safe now, so at least the failure to secure the required summer targets hasn't cost us and Lambert will definitely address this issue this summer. So as you say, hopefully it will be worth waiting for.

In the last 3 windows he's only signed Bacuna who's been a success, and hasn't signed the "number 10" the team has been crying out for.

Okore? Looked promising.

Kozak? Has scored goals.

I can and I did. You can't count Okore I agree. Kozak looks ok back up ditto Steer nothing more. Tonev is awful and I still say it was a glaring mistake not to sign a number 10. Bertrand was a must with Bennett and Luna injured, I will only count him if we sign him he wasted the other loan option. Other than Bacuna the other players who played Sat were here 18 months ago...only really Okore would really change that.

We don't know what wages Kozak is on but I'd imagine they are relatively high (by the standards we've become acquainted to in recent years anyway), probably between £20-30k per week.

As his January target Wes Hoolahan shows, not every creative player is a big-money signing. Even if he was holding out for a particular target, he could've loaned an AM as a stop-gap as there were a few of them available on loan in the summer. Notice how he had no trouble loaning a replacement for Kozak very soon after he was injured.

Anyway, we are practically safe now, so at least the failure to secure the required summer targets hasn't cost us and Lambert will definitely address this issue this summer. So as you say, hopefully it will be worth waiting for.

Well he didn't having trouble bringing in another player to replace kozak, but holts clearly not of the same quality as the number 10 villa need would have to be. Edited by Rovers13

Okore? Looked promising.

Kozak? Has scored goals.

I can and I did. You can't count Okore I agree. Kozak looks ok back up ditto Steer nothing more. Tonev is awful and I still say it was a glaring mistake not to sign a number 10. Bertrand was a must with Bennett and Luna injured, I will only count him if we sign him he wasted the other loan option. Other than Bacuna the other players who played Sat were here 18 months ago...only really Okore would really change that.

So they weren't bad windows as they added decent much needed back up to the squad. Not every player is going to be signed to go straight into the first team. Although this summer that's where the focus is.

• Like 1

What annoys me this season is games like Everton away and also that lucky City win a home.

Your never going to get anything against Everton with just sitting back and let them play on their strengths, poor tactically by Lambert imo. The City and the Southampton game away were lucky as s***

Also. Our possession stats needs to improve next season.

Edited by villalad21

Yeah that City win was so shit. How the **** am I supposed to tell everyone how shit we are if we keep beating the best teams in the League.

Typical selfish Lambert, undermining my criticisms with counter attacking wins.

• Like 4

He tried to get a number 10 in the Summer too, but we couldn't afford the players he had identified.

Perhaps he should've scouted for players within our price-range then? Just an idea.

We know for a fact he tried to get a 10 in Jan and there was reports in the summer too so just because aLambert couldn't land the signings he wanted doesn't mean the windows were bad. I don't want the club panic buying any player ever. Any signing of note should be for the 1st team from now on not squad fillers.

That would be one of the very definitions of a 'bad window', wouldn't it?

No missing out on 1 player wouldn't constitute a 'bad' window. In the summer he added to GK Def Mid and attack so I would say it was a good window. It's only on FM that players hit the ground running every time and every player plays to their potential from the off. I would hope most people on here who have read these boards and seen several players written off early would realise this. Even in Jan we missed out on an AM but got in 2 others one as back up the other Bertrand has made a big difference to the team so how are they bad windows? Every window we have had signings that are now in the team!

Yeah I found it really annoying when we beat Man City too, Lambert Out

It might seem not very important for most fans, but it is important to look behind results and stats. If you look back at the stats from the City and Southampton game i don't think it will be very entertaining reading.

Â