Paul Lambert

limpid

I think at times people on here over simplify things regarding the hoof ball. We are no where near what Stoke were. Since Lambert has been here we have always tried to knock the ball about from defence sometimes our movement hasn't been good enough further forward so we end up lumping it which I agree at times was awful. I'd say there's games where playing the longer ball was a tactic but we don't aimlessly hit it. In Benteke we have someone who's very good in the air so why not use it. Unfortunately because he is so good it also becomes the easy ball out instead of trying harder to pass it. I don't think it's a coincidence that when we hit a bad run and confidence was low we resorted to it more. We can play good football and with confidence and more creative signings down the road it will get even better.

• Like 3

Well either way, I just don't accept that Lambert sends the team out with instructions to play negative hoofball.

Three centre-backs against a West Ham side playing with no strikers? The negativity is implicit in the selections and tactical nature of them. It doesn't have to be verbal.

That is just your view, my view is that he picks a line up and formation that gives him what he thinks is the best chance of winning the game. 

On top of that, McLeish played hoofball to actually not lose a game, not by winning it hence the despair. You keep bringing McLeish into this argument, but lets not forget this is the same man who at the Emirates said we need to re-allign our ambitions here as we shouldn't expect to win there. Anyway lets just end this one, McLeish in his first season won 7 games out of 38. This season this hoofball manager has won 9 from 31.

I don't really think we do play long ball (I'm sick of this daft term goofball) half as much as you do

Stats have showed we play more long balls than the vast majority of teams in the league. I'd say that's a lot.

Ah yes stat's the new way everything has to be judged in football.

I prefer to just watch football and draw my own conclusions, after all stats have been used before to claim Bannan was a potentially world class player and the best crosser of a ball in the PL. :)

• Like 2

Well yes I watch football and see we play a lot of long ball. And I was wrong the stats actually show no team plays more long balls per game than us.

That's the kind of stat that supports what I see with my eyes.

Not sure how that stat can be viewed any other way.

Can any one clarify what is classed as a long ball these days? To me there's a hell of a difference between hitting and hoping a long pass and picking out a target man. I know we do play lots of passes down the channels for our wide men. Were as West Ham hit Carroll from all angles then feed off him especially at home. When does a short pass become a long pass?

I don't think you can base a whole opinion on stats but I also don't think you can dismiss them like you have just to suit your argument.

Its a fact we play more long balls per game than anyone else in the league. Combined with that only 2 teams play less short passes a game than us. West ham and palace, two managers known for certain styles.

I think its quite clear we play a lot of long balls and I find it very hard to believe a team playing it that often do it without the instructions of the manager.

I don't think you can base a whole opinion on stats but I also don't think you can dismiss them like you have just to suit your argument.

Its a fact we play more long balls per game than anyone else in the league. Combined with that only 2 teams play less short passes a game than us. West ham and palace, two managers known for certain styles.

I think its quite clear we play a lot of long balls and I find it very hard to believe a team playing it that often do it without the instructions of the manager.

I don't have an argument as such, I just don't think you can claim to know under what instructions the team take to the pitch based upon stats. As I've tried to show there are other considerations.

I simply don't much care what the stats say, I watch our games and I don't consider us a long ball side.

• Like 2

So what constitutes a long ball then?

30 yards +?

40 yards +?

maybe even 20 yards+?

No-one knows, it's not definitive therefore it's irrelevant.

Indeed. It doesn't I would imagine take into account the accuracy or nature of the ball itself.

Bannan used to get almost all of his corners into the box so had good stats but we all know they were rubbish because he just floated them in. Stats can be hugely misleading and aren't really of a lot of interest to me personally.

He had us playing exciting yet sometimes car crash football last season.  

After Benteke got injured he had a big brain fart and decided the best way to not concede is to touch the ball as little as possible.

The 2-2 draw at Anfield seemed to re-awaken him to the benefits of actually holding onto the ball and looking for a pass.

Edited by Wainy316

On top of that, McLeish played hoofball to actually not lose a game, not by winning it hence the despair. You keep bringing McLeish into this argument, but lets not forget this is the same man who at the Emirates said we need to re-allign our ambitions here as we shouldn't expect to win there.

Sorry to disappoint you SIT but this was a discussion about whether Lambert intends for the team to play as it does at times. McLeish wasn't mentioned as he isn't relevant to the tactics employed by his successor.

Anyway lets just end this one, McLeish in his first season won 7 games out of 38. This season this hoofball manager has won 9 from 31.

Firstly, you are the one who just butted into the conversation, so please don't tell me to 'end it' as if it were solely between me and you. Also, we are talking about style of play and set-up of the team, which is not automatically linked to results.

Stats can be hugely misleading

I agree and stats have to be taken into context and thought about.

When talking about how often we play long ball surely stats on long balls and short passes per game are relevant.

Would you consider say Southampton to be a long ball team?

On top of that, McLeish played hoofball to actually not lose a game, not by winning it hence the despair. You keep bringing McLeish into this argument, but lets not forget this is the same man who at the Emirates said we need to re-allign our ambitions here as we shouldn't expect to win there.

Sorry to disappoint you SIT but this was a discussion about whether Lambert intends for the team to play as it does at times. McLeish wasn't mentioned as he isn't relevant to the tactics employed by his successor.

Er…yes he was.

So what constitutes a long ball then?

30 yards +?

40 yards +?

maybe even 20 yards+?

No-one knows, it's not definitive therefore it's irrelevant.

On Opta a long ball is 25 yards so a quarter of the pitch! So I assume most crosses corners are counted as long?? I'll use my own judgement and say we are not quite Wimbledon and not quite Barcelona somewhere in the middle like 90% of the league!!

Â