Paul Lambert

limpid

its not even 40m its 37.5m :P

Call it 44m for shaggys purposes

The accounts show a £21.7m spend in the last season and a £18.9m spend this. Remind me how that totals £37.5?

I don't want to get into mean, median and modes there zzzzzzzzzzz but if you take Kozak and Benteke out of the equation Lambert has spent an average of 1.68m per player.

Just wanted to play with my calculator for a stat too.

Why take Kozak and Benteke out of the equation though?

Think he's just making a point that most of the players Lambert has bought have been for very low fees.

Edited by Mantis

Well its a £46.5m squad if you want to include the purchase of Delph then, isn't it?

How is that misleading?

It is misleading when used in the context and type of arguments it is. It's like Barça fans justifying getting thrashed by Real Madrid because their squad cost about half as much. It would be misleading because Messi, Xavi, Iniesta etc. are being ignored if fee payed is the only thing that matters.

Where did I say fee paid is the only thing that matters?

I just don't understand his conclusion that we don't have a £46.5m squad or whatever it is because of what he personally values players at, or how such a figure is misleading when it is literally what has been spent in transfer fees.

In football, you generally get what you pay for, where the teams at the top have spend lots of money whilst the teams at the bottom spend little. Of course there will always be exceptions, Barca as you say or QPR going down last season for example.

Does anybody know if there is a table based on transfer fees spent? E.g. if we have spent £46.5m on our entire squad how does that compare to other teams in the Prem?

We don't really know how much this squad cost, your all arguing over semantics we don't really know the answer to because fees are in the majority are "undisclosed".

We don't know individual fees but we know from the accounts, the total spend under Lambert. So Fabian Delph is the only pre-Lambert signing left in the squad so that's the only one that would need to be estimated to an extent.

Think he's just making a point that most of the players Lambert has bought have been for very low fees.

I get that. It's just that any club's average spend-per-player over the past couple of years will be lower if you take out their two most expensive signings in that period.

Where did I say fee paid is the only thing that matters?

I didn't mean you personally, I'm talking about those who continually roll out that phrase in arguments such as the one a few pages back.

It's 37.5m because the is the amount the club actually spent on fees. You are correct that 21.7 and 18.9m were player acquisitions but you would then have to ignore the 2.5m we got for Collins and 600k for Bannan received in that time for the figure to be incorrect.

Also I mentioned that figure per player like Mantis said to highlight how much we are spending to fill our squad rather than  2.34m it would be if you included those players.

To hammer this home say we buy 3 players for a combined 20m in the summer that figure per player would then be 3.02m and the year after doing the same 3.52m and so on it raises the quality in the squad over time.

On a separate note those players you mentioned excluding Delph probably wouldn't be worth more than 20m combined.

Really? We aren't counting what managers spend as a net spend as standard? That's like saying Spurs spent over 100m this summer rather than what they actually did.

When talking about squad-cost, the fees paid for the players who constitute the squad is what you'd go on.

Its not just about being happy with what's gone on before the last 2 games. Many were just able to see the bigger picture and heading in the right direction, the last 2 games have only gone on to prove that correct. There will be ups and downs and we'll lose a few more this season but that doesn't mean we've gone backwards, I'm certain we'll end up on more points than last season.

Only on VT does a great win against the league leaders against a smug Portuguese lemon no less turn into a big row about the relative margins of progress.

Pretty sure that anyone with half a brain can see that we've progressed a bit overall. That there are a number of good things about the club while still being lots and lots of crap things to.

Its not just about being happy with what's gone on before the last 2 games. Many were just able to see the bigger picture and heading in the right direction, the last 2 games have only gone on to prove that correct. There will be ups and downs and we'll lose a few more this season but that doesn't mean we've gone backwards, I'm certain we'll end up on more points than last season.

In fairness I was one of those who advocated giving PL more time but I was (and still am) one of those who also questioned the "bigger picture"

We may be able to tick along as a top 9-12 team ad in finitum and if others are happy with that fine but I wouldn't be and think the "bigger picture" is still more about survival on a shoestring - that isn't PL's fault but there is no big breakthrough on the horizon IMHO

• Like 1

Only on VT does a great win against the league leaders against a smug Portuguese lemon no less turn into a big row about the relative margins of progress.

Pretty sure that anyone with half a brain can see that we've progressed a bit overall. That there are a number of good things about the club while still being lots and lots of crap things to.

I'd say there are lots and lots of good things while still being a number of crap things too.

In fairness I was one of those who advocated giving PL more time but I was (and still am) one of those who also questioned the "bigger picture"

We may be able to tick along as a top 9-12 team ad in finitum and if others are happy with that fine but I wouldn't be and think the "bigger picture" is still more about survival on a shoestring - that isn't PL's fault but there is no big breakthrough on the horizon IMHO

For me it was always going to be about 2 seasons of just surviving whilst clearing out. Next season is the one where I expect us to push on.

• Like 1

Net spend would have to include the bent loan fee and the makoun fee, but net spend doesn't tell as full a story as gross fees. Because lambert inherited a squad not worth much, it doesn't mean he was able to add more quality than someone like Martinez just because Martinez sold fellaini for a huge amount.

I love the arrogance when people mention 'the bigger picture' I think everyone can see what Lambert is trying to do but not all of us have accepted record lows as part of the process of getting there.

And before the champagne starts flowing let's see if he can accomplish this big picture. Until then I think its more than fair to question, criticise and praise when deserved.

How is it arrogance?

I think the repeated claims about seeing the 'bigger picture' as if anybody who is critical of Lambert is incapable of this can be interpreted as arrogance.

As someone who's mainly been pro Lambert for most of his reign I don't think anyone could say he will be a massive success. The main argument I have for him this season is I think he's hitting his remit. I think last season his aim was to cut the wage bill and survive. This season I will say it is to pull us away from the bottom into midtable. Any other expectations above that I think is unrealistic under the financial restraints he's currently working under. Yes between October and January some of the football was horrific. He's also had 3 poor transfer windows in a row. I'm not an "in Lambert we trust" fan boy, I've now seen back to back wins, but my first 6 games I went to this season I saw us score 1 goal and pick up 2 points. Some of the football was horrific.

• Like 2

Â