Paul Lambert

limpid

Mantis you wanted him sacked and have admitted you offered no serious alternative options. You've now made a post about how your amazed those that are pissed off with him aren't able to come up with better options.

And the classic 'black and white' line. Haha love it.

• Like 2

Given how close we are to the relegation zone (points wise) I can't say I'm over the moon that Lambert is being offered a new contract but I'm not totally anti Lambert either.

Like many on here I just want us to consistently set out to play decent football and try and win football matches.

• Like 1

I think when judging a manager you have to sometimes look at the players. Are the players he has, playing to their potential? Are they giving the team 100%.

In my opinion I think the players ( apart from maybe CB at times) are all giving 100% and playing to their potential.

They always do.

The players he has bought (we are not buying class A eggs-omelettes) - some have been excellent and others not so good.

But overall the buys have been good, Benteke, Vlaar, Okore, Bacuna. Gabby seems to be thriving too.

Then there is the tactics. Counter attacking is definitely our best weapon.

However, if he continues to play Holt I would like a new manager. ( seriously I can't watch this guy, he is doing my head in)

I mean other teams have players like Hazard and Suarez and we have Holt. Even 3 years ago when he was more mobile I would have cringed if he played for us.

But Lambert in my opinion is doing well.

"Aston Villa have begun negotiations with Paul Lambert over an extension to the manager's contract, which expires in 18 months. The talks are expected to begin woefully, then go through a highly encouraging spell before plateauing in a kind of prolonged meh."

The Guardian Rumour Mill.

• Like 3

I think when judging a manager you have to sometimes look at the players. Are the players he has, playing to their potential? Are they giving the team 100%.

In my opinion I think the players ( apart from maybe CB at times) are all giving 100% and playing to their potential.

They always do.

The players he has bought (we are not buying class A eggs-omelettes) - some have been excellent and others not so good.

But overall the buys have been good, Benteke, Vlaar, Okore, Bacuna. Gabby seems to be thriving too.

However, if he continues to play Holt I would like a new manager. ( seriously I can't watch this guy, he is doing my head in)

I mean other teams have players like Hazard and Suarez and we have Holt. Even 3 years ago when he was more mobile I would have cringed if he played for us.

Thats a pretty poor ratio of success from 18 players but we'll just gloss over that.

• Like 1

If we finish higher than last season there is no reason why he shouldn't get a new contract.

However the season is far from over and I'm not counting my chickens yet, we could still get dragged into the shit. If he had any ambition after what happened in January he'd tell Lerner where to stuff his contract.

They always do.

Thats a pretty poor ratio of success from 18 players but we'll just gloss over that.
Fair enough but I think, that Lambert bought some players knowing that they will improve. Helenius, Bennett, Lowton, Westwood, Luna, Tonev, Kozak, Steer and even El Ahmadi, Are you including Guzan and Bertrand in the 18?

Bowery was a long shot. Holt for experience.

If he adds two quality players each year on a shoestring he's doing alright, maybe that's just gloss for you.

• Like 1

Think we should wait until the end of the season before offering him a new contract.  I would be hesitant if performances stay the same.  Then again if we finish top 10 with this team then the man is a genius.

• Like 3

I think it's very deliberate and to be honest smart, of Lambert to clam up and play defensive for the most part this year. It has worked, we have more points on the board.

While this is true unless we have a strong finish like last season we will finish with a pretty similar points total.

Now I don't see us having a strong finish if we continue to set up and play like we did against Everton.

They always do.

Guzan & Delph are completely different players under him. Also do people remember how poor Gabby was under McLeish? Anyone remember Seamus Coleman's second season at Everton? He got 4 goals and 4 assists in 2010/11 his breakthrough season, then the year after managed just 1127mins and 18 games in the league due to poor form, he'd 0 goals, 0 assists, the year after he managed 26 appearances but this was more to do with injuries and still only had 5 assists 0 goals. This year he has been super consistent and if anyone was to have a conversation about who is the best right back in the Premier League his name would definitely enter the conversation and deservedly so. People have to remember this with the likes of Lowton and Westwood. Also I think Kozak has had a pretty decent return averaging a goal every 190mins, when you'd imagine he'd strive off good wingers which we lack. 

The new contract news takes me by surprise.

Not because he deserves it or not, just that he had 18 months left of what must have been a 3 year deal.

Coulda sworn I remember Lambert talking about a 5 year project...... :blink:

After paying out what he's paid out already on manager's contracts, it doesn't surprise me that Lerner didn't give Lambert a 5 year deal from the start. If he gives him another 3 years now and they look at it again in 18 months time, then that's probably sensible. No?

Oh, I agree that it's sensible.

I just don't know how you can make a 5-year plan when you only have a contract for just over half of it. Perhaps it took 18 months for Randy to buy into it?

They always do.

Fair enough but I think, that Lambert bought some players knowing that they will improve. Helenius, Bennett, Lowton, Westwood, Luna, Tonev, Kozak, Steer and even El Ahmadi, Are you including Guzan and Bertrand in the 18?

Bowery was a long shot. Holt for experience.

If he adds two quality players each year on a shoestring he's doing alright, maybe that's just gloss for you.

Bennett and Luna have been dropped because they have been consistently poor. Tonev has shown nothing to suggest than he is going to improve. Lambert signed the great Holt instead of playing Helenius which says a lot. Lowton has also been dropped and Steer when he plays doesn't exactly exude confidence in anyone. Bowery has been a nothing signing except for the wheelchair gif. KEA has been poor to average in that order.

Guzan I don't classify as a Lambert signing and yes Bertrand (loan), Vlaar and Benteke have however been excellent while the jury is still out on Kozak.

Overall as previously stated his ratio of successful signings has been poor as is his overall result record with us.  

Not this shit again Morpheus. You are about the only one who thinks that Lambert's signings record has been poor. Or maybe the only one who can't take the whole picture into consideration. To state that this ratio of successful signings has been poor as some kind of fact is ridiculous and a bit pathetic.

• Like 2

Â