Paul Lambert

limpid

PL has no time for Kendrick so I doubt he would be so pro PL or our transfer strategy.  It seems we were trying to get something big done in the window but as ever this window is not great for that.  I expect 3 or 4 bigger signings in the summer. 

On PL if you look at his first choice XI, it is very good considering where we were and where we are now in terms of wage structure and the transfer fees:

Guzan

Lowton

Vlaar

Okore

Bertrand

Bacuna

Westwood
Delph

Weimann

Benteke

Gabby

The issue is that there is not much talent after that.  He has done well when he has bought players that can go in the first xi.  When he has tried to buy squad players he has struggled.  Tonev, Sylla, Bennett, Holt do not seem good enough.  But they cost about £4m between them.  Helenius needs time.  Kozak has looked ok and again needs time.  Steer looks good to me.  Luna looks awful so I have lost all hope on him.  Al Ahmadi improved this year but still is inconsistent. 

Thats not a bad strike rate when you consider that alot of them are gambles at low wages and low fees. I think we need 4 players that can slot in to the first team to make our overall squad stronger.  At the minute some of the players that get games are awful. 

Edited by omariqy
  • Like 4

We all know the difficult Job that Paul Lambert has had to face, but equally be careful not to sleep walk in to the comfort zone of excuses.....I have a sneaky, sneaky feeling ( hyperthetically)that even with the present squad and  Mourinho at the helm, we would have more points on the board, particularly with the Fulhams and the Crystal Palaces and this panic under pressure would be eliminated.

well, yes. and that's the reason Mourinho managed Real Madrid & is one of the highest valued managers in the world. saying Lambert is not as good as Mourinho is like saying Delph is not as good as Yaya Toure or Schweinsteiger. no shit! of course we should always aspire to more but you've got to balance that with realism of who we are competing with. the question is not whether someone like Mourinho would do a better job, but whether other realistic options would do a better job. 

look at the clubs outside the Champions League hopefuls - do any of them have better managers? Southampton with Pochettino probably, but he went there on the back of big spending (and may not stay now the situation's changed). Laudrup got a lot of plaudits last year but he's had more money than Lambert and is doing no better in his 2nd season. Spurs, Fulham, WBA, Cardiff, Sunderland all changed managers this year and have each now got fairly risky untried options. while elsewhere there's old familiars like Hughes, Bruce, Allardyce, Pulis, Pardew. perhaps we missed the boat with Martinez, but otherwise I'm not seeing a lot of better options than Lambert. 

My point was not to compare Mourinho with Lambert that would be foolish and that is something you have construed.

I was merely saying that things can be learnt from Mourinho's actions and formations maybe not right now, but for the future.

We can not keep accepting mediocrity as the inevitable.....Mourinho was less than pleased with the performance against West Ham despite their domination and could have felt sorry for himself going to the Etihad soon after......not so, thats what winners are made of....He set up his team to nullyify a dominate force and he succeeded.

He is one of the best managers in the world, but he takes that attitude in to games against the other best managers in the world.

its all relative.

I'm not having a pop at Paul Lambert because I know the difficult job he has.....but there will come a time when winning with 17 minutes to go and losing will be questioned.

PL has no time for Kendrick so I doubt he would be so pro PL or our transfer strategy.  It seems we were trying to get something big done in the window but as ever this window is not great for that.  I expect 3 or 4 bigger signings in the summer. 

On PL if you look at his first choice XI, it is very good considering where we were and where we are now in terms of wage structure and the transfer fees:

Guzan

Lowton

Vlaar

Okore

Bertrand

Bacuna

Westwood

Delph

Weimann

Benteke

Gabby

The issue is that there is not much talent after that.  He has done well when he has bought players that can go in the first xi.  When he has tried to buy squad players he has struggled.  Tonev, Sylla, Bennett, Holt do not seem good enough.  But they cost about £4m between them.  Helenius needs time.  Kozak has looked ok and again needs time.  Steer looks good to me.  Luna looks awful so I have lost all hope on him.  Al Ahmadi improved this year but still is inconsistent. 

Thats not a bad strike rate when you consider that alot of them are gambles at low wages and low fees. I think we need 4 players that can slot in to the first team to make our overall squad stronger.  At the minute some of the players that get games are awful. 

Not being critical, because i know what has  had to be done, but the midfield is not strong enough Westwood, Bacuna and El hamadi are squad players for me....Bacuna has made some improvement, but not a midfield player that will help you control a game....our midfield is much too lightweight for me.

• Like 1

I'd be very surprised if we weren't in for someone big, almost definitely a midfielder, be it a box to box or creative type. Also how many times have we seen player's agents come out and say Villa have been in touch blah blah blah, with Kendrick not naming the player perhaps the club said come back in the summer and we will do business.

i would like to try : 4-2-3-1

Guzan

Lowton

Clarke 

Vlaar

Bertrand

Sylla/El Hamadi

Delph

Gabby 

Bacuna

Weimann

Benteke

I guess/ideally we have too many midfielders that are too much the same, but would like to see us try this, particularly on the counter away from home.

Guzan

Lowton

Clarke 

Vlaar

Bertrand

Sylla/El Hamadi

Delph

Gabby 

Bacuna

Weimann

Benteke

I guess/ideally we have too many midfielders that are too much the same, but would like to see us try this, particularly on the counter away from home.

We played that formation for the majority of pre season.

That whole piece stinks of PR if i'm honest

Interesting when we get no commentary from the club, no club news then they get dogs abuse for not keeping us informed and then when we get information it is laughed off as mere "PR".  The article in question is as close to being totally factually correct as anything you are going to read about this club currently

PR or not we will find out in the summer.  If its the same shit again in the summer and we don't sign the quality players needed to take us to the next level then light the torches and grab your pitchforks!

And I'll be right up front with you.

Guzan

Lowton

Clarke 

Vlaar

Bertrand

Sylla/El Hamadi

Delph

Gabby 

Bacuna

Weimann

Benteke

did we?

I do favour 2 Defensive midfielders but they have to have presence and a bit of guile....not easy to find I know, the main reason I mention this is, I feel we sign too many lightweight type players.

I do think we need an AM but also a DM too.

watched David Luiz and Matic, (not elusive, but dominant) the other night and drooled at their presence in the game....but hey I can dream.

ps Ramires,Hazard &Willian will take the headlines, but the other two gave them the platform.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 1

Interesting when we get no commentary from the club, no club news then they get dogs abuse for not keeping us informed and then when we get information it is laughed off as mere "PR".

It hasn't come from the club though.

And I'll be right up front with you.

2 windows you've been led to believe the manager would receive good backing. Why wait for the summer?

Guzan

Lowton

Clarke 

Vlaar

Bertrand

Sylla/El Hamadi

Delph

Gabby 

Bacuna

Weimann

Benteke

did we?

I do favour 2 Defensive midfielders but they have to have presence and a bit of guile....not easy to find I know, the main reason I mention this is, I feel we sign too many lightweight type players.

I do think we need an AM but also a DM too.

watched David Luiz and Matic, (not elusive, but dominant) the other night and drooled at their presence in the game....but hey I can dream.

ps Ramires,Hazard &Willian will take the headlines, but the other two gave them the platform.

Yup Matic was brilliant, had Yaya Toure in his pocket on his debut in the Premier League, no easy feat!

Sure someone else has said this but cant be bothered to go back through thread to check.

Isn't it odd that mid season is no time to be discussing new contracts with likes of Delph, Gardner and Albrighton but it does seem to be the right time to discuss it with manager?

Personally I think it's too coincidental this has all popped up literally days after there was an article suggesting RL wanted to sell up, a bit of a smokescreen me thinks.

And considering the RL thread jumped up 16 pages the day the article came out but only about 6 in the last 2 days, and now everyone's in here discussing whether Lambert should get a contract, it's worked.

Edited by MessiWillSignForVilla

Sure someone else has said this but cant be bothered to go back through thread to check.

Isn't it odd that mid season is no time to be discussing new contracts with likes of Delph, Gardner and Albrighton but it does seem to be the right time to discuss it with manager?

Lambert is the most important person at the club.

Personally I think it's too coincidental this has all popped up literally days after there was an article suggesting RL wanted to sell up, a bit of a smokescreen me thinks.

I think it is because journalists have gone digging after reports that Lerner is selling up. They need stories to deflect away from Lerner.

Matic was originally bought by Chelsea for about £1,5m so with good scouting you can find those players.

my very,very,very,very,very point.

its not easy it never was for the managers that found some good ones for us.....but we have to stop the excuses.....thats the framework we have to work in.

you have to know what your looking for before you can find them, but first things first.

I am hoping we have a manager that does....fingers crossed and a prevailing wind.

Â