Euro 2016 General Chat

MrDuck

2 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

The better team on the day or the better team overall?

You'd be hard pressed to argue Wales are a better team than England. very hard pressed.

But they could quite easily be the better team on the day, of course.

They won't though, England will win tomorrow.

I would just want to see the interviews afterwards from the England players and manager in that scenario.  Their expressions would be priceless.  Plus Bale would be injured for their third game owing to cramp of the face because he can't stop smiling.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, kurtsimonw said:

Russia created far more today, Slovakia/Wales looked about even. Can't say I'm at all concerned...

...yet

Wales tested their keeper 5-6 times, scored twice, had two clear penalties ruled out (including one that should have ended Skrtyl (???)'s tournament) - you certainly seem concerned the amount of times you tell us you're better than us :) you should beat us, comfortably.... lets see if your players can deliver, and more importantly, your manager can use his subs as well as say Coleman has.

3 minutes ago, chrissmith921 said:

Wales tested their keeper 5-6 times, scored twice, had two clear penalties ruled out (including one that should have ended Skrtyl (???)'s tournament) - you certainly seem concerned the amount of times you tell us you're better than us :) you should beat us, comfortably.... lets see if your players can deliver, and more importantly, your manager can use his subs as well as say Coleman has.

Ooooh you're Welsh. Your comments about English fans getting their heads kicked-in in the fan trouble thread suddenly makes more sense :D

Edited by PieFacE

We should beat Wales.

But we could easily struggle. Man for man England are probably a consistently higher quality side, obviously accepting that Bale is a outlier and Ashley Williams would join him in the England side pretty easily. But I can see Wales being very well drilled and solid, us struggling to make anything and Bale nicking it.

We should win this group but we aren't a flawless side and it's the England way to disappoint.

7 minutes ago, chrissmith921 said:

Eh? "The amount of times you tell us you're better than us" - show me one, just one, example of me saying England will beat Wales or England are better than Wales. 

I just did a search. I've said the word "Wales" 6 times since the tournament started. A score prediction, quoting a friend saying Wales and France looked better than England, me saying Wales were one of the top 5 teams of the tournament so far, two saying Wales sitting back/taking the lead likely won't change our tactics and another repeating the Bale "No England player would get in the Wales team line".

I've said basically only positive/neutral things. I wonder if the same could be said of you and England? :)

This result puts into context Englands result against Russia. You can go back as far as 74 when we murdered Poland but we still didn't win the game and qualify. We need to beat Wales to take the pressure off the final game and to do that you pick your players most likely to score. We will no doubt have 65% possession against Wales but they wont care if they get a point. 

The number of Wales fans I've seen (social media and the like) who seem to revel in calling England fans bitter, obsessed etc far outnumber the amount of England fans I've seen actually doing it. Comparisons of Villa, Small Heath spring to mind ;)

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, BOF said:

I took "you" to mean "England" in that context @kurtsimonw, not you personally.  Especially considering its subsequent uses in the same post.  But maybe I'm wrong.

You could be right. Though I don't think anyone in the England setup has said it either, have they? Maybe I'm wrong.

I actually quite like Wales. But I have long-standing connections with the place so will always have a soft spot for them. I hope they do well, but obviously not to the detriment of England.

Just now, kurtsimonw said:

Best goals of the tournament so far?

1. Hamsik v Russia
  2. Payet v Romania
  3. Modric v Turkey

Giaccherini's was a good goal for the pass/touch/finish, same with Wiess' today.

Technically Giaccherini's is better than those 3.  I haven't seen Weiss' today yet.

Just now, BOF said:

Technically Giaccherini's is better than those 3.  I haven't seen Weiss' today yet.

Forgot about your goal as well. Might say it was better than Modric because he should've done better.

17 minutes ago, useless said:

If I had to back a team to go on and win the whole thing from group B, it wouldn't be Russia, Slovakia or Wales.

Inclined to agree here. England has, on paper, the best team in that group and could yet surprise a few people. Non-rose-tinted pov from a swede.

Â