Euro 2016 General Chat

MrDuck

12 hours ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

France are shit, 100% will not win this tournament.

12 hours ago, Genie said:

Play poor and win, sign of a good team. 

We also can't underestimate the effect of playing every game with 12 men.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

Except that the "style" absolutely did work against Russia.

We were let down by poor finishing.

Yes but what do you expect when its Lallana and Sterling. Ranieri built a system around the players he had, it wasn't always pretty but they got results. Hodgson is picking players to fit his system when he is leaving better players on the bench. 

Lallana and Sterlng scored 10 goals in 60 league games between them last season and with Rooney in midfield, all the oppostion have to do is stop Harry Kane. 

Edited by PaulC
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Yes but what do you expect when its Lallana and Sterling. Ranieri built a system around the players he had, it wasn't always pretty but they got results. Hodgson is picking players to fit his system when he is leaving better players on the bench. 

Lallana and Sterlng scored 10 goals in 60 league games between them last season and with Rooney in midfield, all the oppostion have to do is stop Harry Kane. 

Yes. I keep hearing about this 'quality' Lallana performance but it was very far from quality, despite showing some nice touches and dribbling with the ball well he has no end product at all. Sterling at this stage is an absolute joke and his career appears to be on the slide.  

Yes Lallana is a nice pretty footballer with little or no end product. The art of good management is  find a system that will work with your best players. Whether thats back to the old 4-4-2 like Leicester then so be it. We may play some pleasing football with Lallana and Sterling and Rooney pulling the stings in midfield but we wont get very far in the tournament like that. 

5 minutes ago, omariqy said:

For me Sturridge should start as he is our best striker. He can also make things happen which Kane can't imo.

I would pick Kane and Vardy over him. Vardy has that extra pace and intensity and he's a winner. The fact is he's built his team around the Spurs team that bottled it in the Premier League  and the side that won it cant get a look in. Reminds me of the 82 world cup. 

Sturridge probably is your most effective striker.  The obvious problem is that he's made of tissue paper.  The decision then becomes do you wait to use him in the knockouts, or do you use him to make sure you get there in the first place? 

I couldn't care less about dribbles completed, passes completed and saying stuff like "he had a decent game" etc - the only stats that matter are goals and assists. Lallana and Sterling lack both. Drop them - The end.

I still can't believe Andros Townsend isn't in the squad.

12 minutes ago, BOF said:

Sturridge probably is your most effective striker.  The obvious problem is that he's made of tissue paper.  The decision then becomes do you wait to use him in the knockouts, or do you use him to make sure you get there in the first place? 

For me hes our third striker so off the bench

1 hour ago, pas5898 said:

I couldn't care less about dribbles completed, passes completed and saying stuff like "he had a decent game" etc - the only stats that matter are goals and assists. Lallana and Sterling lack both. Drop them - The end.

I still can't believe Andros Townsend isn't in the squad.

You say that all that matters is goals and assists but then you cite Andros Townsend as a player to produce both. Tut tut.

In club football, it's Aston Villa or nothing for me. None of this "supporting the English teams in Europe" nonsense. 

Internationals are oddly different. I have no strong feelings about it, but I sort of like all the "home nations" (I include the RoI in that) to do well. England-Wales, I genuinely don't mind who wins.

Woy is a pwat for picking Waheem again. That kid lost any form he had when joining Man City. He showed enough to get his big move and is now an overpaid show pony who will follow Wright-Phillips into being a benchwarmer.

Vardy and Rashford out wide with Rooney sitting deeper so Alli can play behind Kane. Attack like crazy because those Welsh players are average.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, mjmooney said:

In club football, it's Aston Villa or nothing for me. None of this "supporting the English teams in Europe" nonsense. 

Internationals are oddly different. I have no strong feelings about it, but I sort of like all the "home nations" (I include the RoI in that) to do well. England-Wales, I genuinely don't mind who wins.

I'm pretty much with you there.  Obviously I support England but I do like to see all the home nations do well.  Apart from Northern Ireland because they bore me.

Â