Euro 2016 General Chat

MrDuck

39 minutes ago, The_Rev said:

Oh dear Giroud.  Not hitting the target there is him in a nutshell, it wasn't a sitter but he should have at least worked the keeper.  He's a good striker, he'll never be a great one. 

i dont get this kind of thinking at all, commentator said something similar. Choosing header which has a high chance of scoring if hits target  where the margin of error is that its going wide sometimes is just way way way better than "working the keeper/getting it on target". Its a header which wasnt even worth talking/mentioning. Its pretty dam hard to score who ever you are and its "fine" if you miss target...

Edited by gharperr

3 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

France are shit, 100% will not win this tournament.

Lets be fair they dominated the second half and do have a lot of seriously good attacking players. 

12 minutes ago, useless said:

West Ham might struggle to keep Payet at this rate.

Unless Payet himself really pushes for a transfer then I can't see him leaving as West Ham have got the golden handcuffs on him pretty tightly, he's got five years left on his contract and he's earning £120k a week if reports are to be believed. Unless there is a release clause in that contract then any buying club are going to have to drop an absolute fortune on a 29 year old who's going to want a similar deal to the one he's got at West Ham.  If he gets that then he's got practically no value at the end of his contract. 

11 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Lets be fair they dominated the second half and do have a lot of seriously good attacking players. 

I'd wager that the first good team they play will teach them a lesson, France have played two shite teams so far and struggled to win, very poor.

14 minutes ago, gharperr said:

i dont get this kind of thinking at all, commentator said something similar. Choosing header which has a high chance of scoring if hits target  where the margin of error is that its going wide sometimes is just way way way better than "working the keeper/getting it on target". Its a header which wasnt even worth talking/mentioning. Its pretty dam hard to score who ever you are and its "fine" if you miss target...

I'm not basing my comment on one game, I'm basing it on his form over the past four years and like in my original post I'm not calling him crap but I am accusing him of not being a 'great' striker.   Giroud does just about enough to hang at Arsenal or France but never any more, you rarely see him come up with the goods in big games and now he's in the position he's in (ie, starting striker at an elite level club and a major national team) it's not being cruel to suggest that both sets of fans feel that they should be doing better than having him in the side. 

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, Dr_Pangloss said:

I'd wager that the first good team they play will teach them a lesson, France have played two shite teams so far and struggled to win, very poor.

You might be right but uts no good peaking too early either. Who else are going to win the tournament? Spain have crap forwards. Hodgson is going to screw it up for England. i'm not convinced by germany either. 

2 hours ago, penguin said:

Germany look very suspect at the back, wouldn't be surprised if there's an upset this tournament everyone looks beatable.

Agreed. If only England had a decent defence, some good midfielders, a couple of decent wingers, and a half decent manager, this would definitely of been our year :P

watching Slovakia and England play Russia its funny that the same simple thing kept happening each game that players would cut in and Russians had no clue how to deal with it

15 hours ago, osmark86 said:

Inclined to agree here. England has, on paper, the best team in that group and could yet surprise a few people. Non-rose-tinted pov from a swede.

But they have Roy Hodgson stood there orchestrating them to play in a style that doesn't fit the players they have at all - its like watching Belgium

39 minutes ago, chrissmith921 said:

But they have Roy Hodgson stood there orchestrating them to play in a style that doesn't fit the players they have at all - its like watching Belgium

Except that the "style" absolutely did work against Russia.

We were let down by poor finishing.

Â