Switzerland v England Euro 2016 qualifiers

andykeenan

A campaign? Witch hunt? I'm not really sure what you are referring to, i'm just giving my personal opinion. 

As I've said, I'd have Rooney in the squad but not in the starting 11 and I don't personally think his form for club or country is good enough for him to be there.

And yes I'm sure this England side will get better over the next two years, I don't think the same can be said of Rooney which is why personally, given the easy qualification games we have ahead of us I'd rather see him on the bench.

Rooney still starts for me, think he is still one of our best players. Yes he has poor games as does everyone. Difference is he also has good games and people these days say he played crap when what they mean is the team played crap.

With regards to Wilshere I think he is a talented player in the same way I think Delph is a talented player. I'd agree Wilshere is living off reputation more than anything at the moment. One of those who looks to have regressed since coming on to the scene but that is a standard storey and there is still time for him to develop as a player.

He is definitely not a sitting midfielder and I'd assume he and Delph will be competing for the same spot of the next year or two if we continue in this formation. 

I think Wilshere is hyped too much but he's still only 22. We're still talking about Gary Gardner as a prospect and he's the same age.

I think what makes the Wilshere situation worse is that he seems to believe in his own hype. He literally sits on the floor, sulking, if he believes he has been fouled and doesn't get the call. All the cigarette rubbish as well, he just seems like a clearing in the woods, on and off the pitch. He'd get away with it with fans if he actually played well, but he doesn't. Arsenal (and England) would be a lot better off playing somebody else instead of him.

Rooney should be on the bench. 

Sturridge should lead the line

I'm not having Welbeck (despite last night) as an England international and Wilshire can just **** right off.

I'm not a fan of Sturridge I find him infuriating he slows the game down to much either trying to much, or taking to many touches. I don't think he's done enough in an England shirt to warrent being the first name up front. For me it's Rooney and Welbeck in the next game I think it worked, they are both direct and they both seemed to work well with Sterling.

I'd persist with Wilshere because he is a ball playing midfielder which England scarcely produce. England looked better playing 3 midfielders comfortable with the ball (though no world beaters)(sorry donnie) than they did in the world cup.

Rooney should be in the squad but he should not be an automatic starter.

Henderson has some on leaps and bounds in the last year or so and is probably Englands best central midfielder at the moment.

I'd persist with Wilshere because he is a ball playing midfielder which England scarcely produce. England looked better playing 3 midfielders comfortable with the ball (though no world beaters)(sorry donnie) than they did in the world cup.

Rooney should be in the squad but he should not be an automatic starter.

Henderson has some on leaps and bounds in the last year or so and is probably Englands best central midfielder at the moment.

There's not one a England player who should be an automatic starter. There's no top quality players.

From current squad I think only Hart and Cahill are the  2 that I think are nailed on in that no player in squad or country is as good as them

I think Hart is ok, shouldn't be automatic choice especially with Foster and Forseter knocking about.

Cahill is by far our best centre half, but isn't top top quality.

From current squad I think only Hart and Cahill are the  2 that I think are nailed on in that no player in squad or country is as good as them

I think Hart is ok, shouldn't be automatic choice especially with Foster and Forseter knocking about.

Cahill is by far our best centre half, but isn't top top quality.

very true indeed, and that is our biggest area of concern going forward. I think Jones will aways have a mistake in him and Stone is a long way away yet. 

Cahill is top, top quality. I can't think what he does that makes him less than that and for a central defender that is almost as important as the things that he does do (his positioning and his timing are first rate)(sorry Donnie). I genuinely can't remember the last time he made a mistake. His reputation suffers through not having a genuinely top class partner at international level for... Maybe ever?

Martin O'Neill sold him for buttons.

• Like 1

But Tamuff, given that Rooney only scores in qualification games and qualification is pretty much assured already, do you not think we would be better off playing someone else who might be able to score against the bigger sides at finals? Because for some reason Rooney can't.

Iran, Nigeria, Bosnia, Serbia, Peru and Mexico. The teams Messi has scored against in competition. His only KO stage goal was in a 4-0 win v Peru 7 years ago. This is the supposed best player ever. The list of teams Rooney's scored against is certainly far more impressive. Who are these players who're going to score against top teams? There aren't many in the World, let alone England.

• Like 1

Cahill is top, top quality. I can't think what he does that makes him less than that and for a central defender that is almost as important as the things that he does do (his positioning and his timing are first rate)(sorry Donnie). I genuinely can't remember the last time he made a mistake. His reputation suffers through not having a genuinely top class partner at international level for... Maybe ever?

Not in the class of a Rio, Campbell or Terry though.

See the ease at which Balotelli peeled off him for the Italy goal and slow to react when Suarez got away so just below top top quality for me.

He has improved tremendously under Mourinho though.

Not in the class of a Rio, Campbell or Terry though.

See the ease at which Balotelli peeled off him for the Italy goal and slow to react when Suarez got away so just below top top quality for me.

He has improved tremendously under Mourinho though.

Maybe not. But you've just named 3 players who at their peak wwere amongst the best 3/4 central defenders in the entire world. One of who was the most expensive defender ever, another who (correct me if I'm w wrong) was the highest paid player in the world at the time of his move. It stands to reason we could find examples of those players being beaten by other world class players too.

Perhaps I overrate him. Regardless, Gary Cahill is not a problem that England need to worry about. First name on the team sheet for me.

Cahill is a very very good defender, Their is a reason Mourinho a defensive minded manager plays him nearly every big game and didnt try replace him or bring in another centre half in their prime to challenge him. He reads the game well, decent on the ball and not really a slouch 

maybe a bit like Westwood in that he doesnt get the praise as he doesnt make last ditch tackles or lung bursting runs into the attack

Â