Switzerland v England Euro 2016 qualifiers

andykeenan

Not one mention of Delphs debut after the match. They even found time to discuss wilshire's role. Piss poor.

Dreadful ITV punditry. 

Delph after a nervy 20 minutes was really impressive and showed Wilshere up big time.

Also should have had a pen.

As for the rest of the team, IF we keep this formation and add in the likes of Clyne, Shaw and Sturridge then there is some promise there. Big if though.

Yep the fact Wilshere was subbed ahead of a debutant said it all. Sturridge for Rooney. Maybe Walker at rb when fit and Shaw at left back.

Would have Clyne ahead of Walker but agree about Shaw at left back.

Walker has just had an op anyway and is out for about 5 months..

Agree that Wilshere was pants but it's not a position he's ever played before so I won't crucify him too much. That said though it was an experiment that didn't quite work in my eyes, be interesting to see whether Woy perseveres with it.

More to the point though there is a spot as DM in England just waiting for someone to emerge in the next two years and make it there own.

If I was someone like Westwood I'd be seeing that as a real opportunity and I'm sure there are a number of other players out there thinking the same.

A good solid England peformance, with 2 excellent counter attacking goals.  Sometimes the team was under pressure on the flanks but overall a decent performance. I thought Delph was largely a success on his first start for his country. Wellbeck took the chances excellently. A couple of hairy moments but really I do not think Switzerland are that good. Top 10 team in the world? No way. This was the hardest match in the group, and England did a job on them. They would have to be bad on a epic scale not to qualify for 2016 now.

Edited by The Fun Factory
  • Like 1

We did well. Boy is that nice to say about an England performance.

Nice to see Welbeck being clinical, seems he's full of confidence after his arsenal move.

Delph did well, nothing outstanding, but he moved the ball quickly which gave us a nice platform.

Wilshere on the other hand held the ball too long and we missed a few chances to build a move quickly.

Stones looks ok at defending, but I'd worry about his ability to get back and defend if we lost possession with him up the pitch, such is his lack of pace it seems.

Baines didn't look great, it's weird seeing him playing an integral part of Evertons attacks but he looks largely clueless with the NT.

sterling really needs to work on his final ball and when to lay off the ball at crucial times. He's very young so we can give him the benefit of the doubt? But young players who are quick and good at dribbling tend to keep their eyes on the ball. Hope Rogers can work on that with him.

The sooner Hodgson gets rid of Rooney the better.

??? Set up the first goal, scores the winner last week ??

Ah, but you forget the most important thing. He's called Wayne Rooney, that by default makes him "shit".

not living up to the huge hype surrounding him makes him shit, believing that he's anywhere near world class in the 1st place makes him shit, and him IMO still not nailing a role in the england squad makes him shit

i dont think he's shit, but i certainly dont think he's world class either

its strange how he tries so hard that he ends up dropping too deep so that he can have an impact on the game and somehow ends up looking ineffective, get upfront, stay there and do his stuff, when we broke as a 3 we looked good, we looked better and id have far more confidence with rooney on the ball and sterling / welbeck running past him rather than any other of that combination

good player in there and he does show it, just not often enough

Edited by villa4europe

Yeah, he's not World class, but he's closer to that than he is shit. His scoring record is very good, would be ridiculous if he took the penalties over the past 10 years too, and his work rate is brilliant.

I totally agree with our best going forward is Rooney on the ball with the others breaking off him. Both Sterling and Welbeck messed up good chances when they had to release, but when Rooney had the ball with those running off him, it created the opening goal.

I'm a bit concerned about Wilshire at DM, we definitely need someone more defensive minded in there for me.

honestly dont know who that is, and i think unfortunately based on the hype engine again wilshere is pretty much undroppable, next up vs san marino isnt going to help either

the main thing for me is this is the formation to take us forward, unfortunately i cant see it sticking, roy will be under a lot of pressure to get sturridge, lallana, chamberlain and barkley back in there

Not living up to your expectations of him doesn't make him shit.

Thing is he does live up to my expectations, what he doesn't live up to is what the likes of andy Townsend constantly feel the need to tell me he is, which he isn't

Wilshere is the same, he's not shit but he's certainly not the world beater they portray him to be either

Don't know why they insist on doing it, sterling next, then Barkley, rinse and repeat

Ah, but you forget the most important thing. He's called Wayne Rooney, that by default makes him "shit".

I think he had his worst game in an England shirt last week. He was awful and the fact that he got to take the penalty shouldn't be allowed to gloss over it.

I agree it was one of his worst games, but for the most part no matter what he does he gets mass criticism for pretty much no reason. It's like Lampard was getting in about 2007, it's really over the top.

I agree with this, people like to stone the guy, when he retires he will be known as one of England's greatest and probably our all time top goal scorer. Yes he hasn't lived up to being our Messi or Ronaldo(although his international goal scoring record is very similar to Messi's) he's still been an all time great in the shirt.

He was ok last night.

But I'm not having that about last week. I think vs Norway was one of his worst performances in an England shirt. I don't care if he scored a penalty.

Edit: I see a lot of people got there before me.

Edited by Stevo985

Jack Whilshire must be the single most over rated player ever.

Outside of that pass to Rooney, I cannot think of a positive thing he did last night. Yes, it was a new position, but he gave the ball away, broke up the formation too often. I am struggling to think why he gets in the squad. It might be to do with the letter 'A'...

• Like 1

Â