Paul Gascoigne

Si.

i have sympathy for him

the personality traits that made him so popular and to a lesser extent made him successful are now the same ones that are absolutely destroying him

too many people still seem to think that throwing fame and money at people will make them better, it wont, all it will do is exacerbate things due to the fact that they cant last forever, especially with footballers

6 minutes ago, Zatman said:

well I dont sympathise with him because he beat his wife a few times, same way I despise Stan Collymore

Pretty horrible attitude to be honest.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The thing was he was given an opportunity to get back into football with Kettering town and the guy blew it massively. He has only himself to blame.

That wasn't genuine though, just another example of him being used.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Pretty horrible attitude to be honest.

is it really? I have a couple friends who suffer with mental health issues and another who sadly lost his life to it. Never once did any of them beat up their partners or wives

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Zatman said:

is it really? I have a couple friends who suffer with mental health issues and another who sadly lost his life to it. Never once did any of them beat up their partners or wives

So if one of your friends with mental health issues ended up hitting his wife would you lose any sympathy for him and effectively discard him to the rubbish heap? 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

So if one of your friends with mental health issues ended up hitting his wife would you lose any sympathy for him and effectively discard him to the rubbish heap? 

all ifs and buts as it never happened but it wouldnt be something I be very keen on

I said before I feel sorry for his family but not for him

• Like 1

I'm sure if you caught him on a good day (if he even has those anymore), he'd feel ashamed of some of the things he's done.

Depression and addiction are each terrible things, fighting them combined is even worse. It blows my mind that people can still hold the view that people should "just get over it". I find holding that view to be more abhorrent than anything someone does while suffering with mental illness, to be honest.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 3

59 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

Yeah I do have sympathy for him, but how many chances does the guy need? Does he not look and see what happened to George Best? No-one is going to give him a transplant

He's a total lost cause, but that doesn't make it any less tragic. Some people just have an inherent self destruct button and are beyond saving. Gazza is one of those and the writing is on the wall. It's not for the lack of trying, as he has had spells where he has been sober and tried to take a different path but at the end of the day he's always going to go back to square one and he can't keep going to the well forever.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zatman said:

all ifs and buts as it never happened but it wouldnt be something I be very keen on

I said before I feel sorry for his family but not for him

Yes it is which is why "if" was the second word of the question you were asked and have avoided answering.

• Like 3

I'm an alcoholic, but at the low end of the spectrum. My drinking has scared me a couple of times to the point where I quit cold turkey, once for 18 months, another time for 5 years.

I understand the grip it can get on someone. I count my blessings that I've never been a hard liquor drinker, or a morning drinker, or a drunk driver, or been to hospital over it, etc. 

He has one way out at this point. Really sad.

It is a massive shame looking at the pictures of him. I can't see him surviving a year, let alone ten. I just hope he gets the help he needs and he manages to combat his demons. 

12 minutes ago, Xela said:

It is a massive shame looking at the pictures of him. I can't see him surviving a year, let alone ten. I just hope he gets the help he needs and he manages to combat his demons. 

Can anyone help him? I can't help but feel like he's a lost cause at this point. It's very sad.

You have to want to help yourself as well don't you, and he looks as though he is incapable of that. I'm sure I've read in the past that ex players (Lineker being one) had paid for rehab for him, but obviously not worked.

Shades of Alex Higgins about him now

• Like 1

Â