Paul Gascoigne

Si.

Paul Gascoigne has done some things that can't be excused but don't think that should mean he isn't worthy of sympathy.

He is a man with serious mental health issues first and foremost the substance abuses stem from that.

I'm never particularly comfortable with people judging people with mental health issues, assessing their actions against the norms of behaviours for people without such issues. 

I also think people should take account a little more of some of the reasons why he is so messed up.

There's little wonder Gascoigne was obsessed with death. He came across it often as a child, and in the most painful circumstances. When he was 10, he was looking after his friend's younger brother, Steven Spraggon, and took him to the shop where he used to nick sweets. When he was mucking about, six-year-old Steven ran into the road and was hit by a car. Gascoigne watched him die and blamed himself. When he was 17, another friend called Steven died. Steven Wilson had become an apprentice at Middlesbrough but was unhappy so Gascoigne encouraged him to jack it in, and told him he would try to get him into the Newcastle youth squad. While he was waiting for an opening at Newcastle, Steven went to work in the building trade and was killed in an accident. Again Gascoigne blamed himself. Years later, a cousin died while playing football after an asthma attack. Doctors had told him he shouldn't play football with asthma, but Gascoigne told him this was rubbish. Again, he blamed himself. He told himself he was a jinx.

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2004/jun/22/newsstory.sport1

• Like 3

In that Shearer interview he said at the end of the season he used to be in tears because he couldn't play football anymore and would convince himself he'd never get to play again. People used to have to console him and assure him that the new season would be starting in a couple of months and he'd be playing football again.

That's pretty weird, but if he had that sort of reaction to not being able to play for the summer, you can imagine how he feels about genuinely never being able to play again.

Edit: Here it is. A little bit at 17:30, then again at 55:30. The pertinent bit I was talking about above starts at 57:00

Edited by Stevo985
  • Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Stories doing the rounds that his sister is claiming the Sun "journos" are leaving bottles of alcohol on his front doorstep to tempt him to the door so they can snap away and get their latest story. 

Paul Gascoigne's sister has made sensational claims that the Sun newspaper have deliberately interfered with her brother's private life and taunted the former England international in order to build a more compelling story.

:snip:

Screen%20Shot%202016-08-10%20at%2015.10.

• 1 month later...
40 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

So Gazza has ended up in court over his comment last year that he couldn't see a black security guard, in a dark room.

Meanwhile Roy Chubby Brown is still touring.

I just read the story on the BBC and thought similar. 'Professional' comedian's make a living about jokes some might find offensive. Yet Gazza is in court? Where exactly are the boundies which make it illegal? I'm amazed his lawyer hasn't exploited this.

• Like 2

Â