Paul Gascoigne

Si.

I think he has more mental health issues than Best had who was just an alcoholic. Unfortunately for Gazza only one person can help him and thats himself. The two best players that ever graced this country looked destined to go the same way. 

• 2 months later...

Good piece on Gazza here: http://www.bbc.com/sport/0/football/33051499

"I cannot handle watching players getting lots of money and not putting 100% in. The fans paid for my house, my car, my holidays - but I've seen players score a goal, even for England, and just walk back.

"There are young kids there seeing that and thinking it means nothing to score goals. I don't like that."

• Like 1

I don't like people with so much natural ability piss their career up the wall and end up hitting women.

I think its a case of a Wagner thing: admire the work, deplore the man.

I think people assume that if they disapprove of the man they automatically must deprecate the art.

Get really tired of hearing the story about the shit in the mince pies and the going back to his school to mock the teacher who told him he wouldn't make it as a footballer.
Wheel him out every two years, tell the same stories, tell us he is doing great then go on an 18 month bender,

Rinse and Repeat.

I don't like people with so much natural ability piss their career up the wall and end up hitting women.

If he was a repeated woman beater like the deployable Marlon King I would dislke him too. I don't think he's a bad person, just one that is weak. 

edit> He did repeatably beat his ex wife. Jealousy and drink are a bad combination. 

Edited by PaulC

Get really tired of hearing the story about the shit in the mince pies and the going back to his school to mock the teacher who told him he wouldn't make it as a footballer.

Wheel him out every two years, tell the same stories, tell us he is doing great then go on an 18 month bender,

Rinse and Repeat.

Glad I'm not the only one who thinks this.

The most annoying thing about Gascoigne is the myth that's grown around him over the years since he retired. You'd have thought he was Pele the way people drone on about him. He wasn't, he was nowhere near that good. At best he was a bloody good player but inconsistent and frustrating. He even believes his own hype these days. I saw his life story with Piers Morgan a couple of years ago when he compared him to Pele and Mardonna - he replied that there were things they could do but he couldn't and things he could do but they couldn't. Honestly, give us a break, Gazza, you weren't fit to lace their boots so stop pretending.

He was probably the best player in the 1990 world cup. When have we said that since. No can't be compared to Pele or Maradona but better than anything we have produced since including Beckham, Scholes, Gerrard or Lampard. 

He was probably the best player in the 1990 world cup. When have we said that since. No can't be compared to Pele or Maradona but better than anything we have produced since including Beckham, Scholes, Gerrard or Lampard.

Again he wasn't the best player in 1990, it's one of these myths that grows year on year. He was nowhere near the level of Scilachi, Mattaus or even Maradonna to name a few. I also think Walker and Platt were equally as good as him in that England shirt in 1990.

I think people assume that if they disapprove of the man they automatically must deprecate the art.

Poor old Robert Wagner. Even after all these years, old Hart to Hart still cannot convince people that he never killed his wife.

;)

• Like 2

wagner.jpg

• Like 1

Yes his ability isn't a myth its indesputable. Players like Mattheus,  Scilachi and even our own David Platt may have had better careers but Gascoigne was more naturally gifted and but for his own demons and that self inflicted injury in the cup final he would have been rated as the best ever English player imo. 

Yes his ability isn't a myth its indesputable. Players like Mattheus,  Scilachi and even our own David Platt may have had better careers but Gascoigne was more naturally gifted and but for his own demons and that self inflicted injury in the cup final he would have been rated as the best ever English player imo. 

Ive never said his natural ability was a myth, it wasn't, i said myths like he was the best player during the 1990 world cup was, he wasn't, infact he wasn't even close.  He could/would maybe have been a great player, but it takes more than ability. And youve got to prove it at a high level for more than a couple of years. 

When you look at how some of the media and fans have treated some players in the past, it really dose baffle me to how Gazza gets away with things again and again...maybe it was the fact he cried. 

Think its a bit of a myth myself he was a good player but never a top class player for me. Not 1 top club ever took a chance on him Spurs, Lazio, Middlesboro, Rangers, Everton are not top class teams. People can say was  his attitude but Mario Balotelli has got signed by some big clubs

Spurs were big at that time. They also signed players like Klinsman and Linekar around that period. He was never the same player after injury. I don't think it was down to ability that he didn't get a big European club come after him, more down to the fact he was bonkers.  yes you can argue Balotelli has but I bet Balotelli doesn't drink to the level Gascoigne did. Too high risk and that injury too. 

Edited by PaulC

Â