Paul Gascoigne

Si.

We should have won that tournament.

That and Euro 2004.

We certainly were good enough and the fact that we didn't prompts all those doubts about the mental weakness of our players, and why. 

Nah, we just had a truly inept manager in Sven.

..and if not for the length of a stud against Germany.... :unsure:

Win % for England's better managers:

Ramsey 61

Greenwood 60

Hoddle  60

SGE 60

Capello 67

Hodgson 56

Every one was condemned as not good enough and every one was replaced with someone who did worse, except Hodgson, obviously.

Capello the highest yet he was the biggest failure of the lot in my opinion. 

Yeah win percentage is a bit misleading as managers will always be judged on their performances at major tournaments, and big win percentages can be racked up in qualifying, but ultimately culminate in very disappointing tournaments.

Tournaments was where Sven was actually quite good. Three quarter finals in a row is a decent return.

The problem is we thought, at the time, that we were better than that.

His biggest failing was Euro 2004, imo. But as mentioned, if it weren't for the injury to Rooney he may well have succeeded there.

Edited by Stevo985

• 1 year later...

(Pics removed as they aren't appropriate on here - TrentVilla)

Dear oh dear

Looking like an absolute nap for this years 'deadpool'. 

THERE were new fears for Paul Gascoigne last night after he accidentally exposed himself in the street.

The football icon — heading to buy booze in only a dressing gown — stumbled barefooted from his flat with a bent cigarette hanging from his lips

Slurring his words, Gazza, 49, climbed into a taxi before returning with a bottle of gin, cigs and painkillers.

As he stepped out of the cab his gown fell open revealing he was naked underneath.

8 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

It is no smartphone picture either.

He really is beyond help, I feel for his family. Maybe it would be for the best if he..

I understand what you're saying, I'm sure those closest too him probably feel the same as heart breaking as it would be. He clearly doesn't doesn't appear as though he'll ever get back to normal.

3 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Such a shame, will be dead in 10 years the way he is carrying on

I'd say tat was an optimistic timescale.

People blaming the press for this , sorry but its not their fault he did it they are reporting it.  Its very much like blaming Grealish's friends for the pictures that surfaced last year.

Gascoigne is in the public eye ,  he did this of his own volition.  If he hadn't of done then there would be nothing to report.  A player of undoubted skill,  especially for the first 5 or 6 years he broke out onto the scene btu I'm afraid I have no sympathy for someone who has received chances,  help and support and still slips like this .

I have sympathy for him.

Seeing him in the state he's in now, it just hits home how deeply ingrained his issues really are.

I wouldn't wish that level of destructive addiction on anyone. I also fear that he maybe beyond help, which is the real tragedy.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I have plenty of sympathy for him.

He's clearly fighting a combination of depression and addiction. It's not like you can just turn it off.

He can't cope with not being a footballer. His interview to Shearer on that Euro '96 programme made that clear. I'd guess that's the source of his depression.

The alcohol addiction goes hand in hand with that.

Honestly, you've got a cold cold heart if you can't feel sympathy for the guy.

The thing was he was given an opportunity to get back into football with Kettering town and the guy blew it massively. He has only himself to blame.

Â