Carlos Sanchez

ArteSuave

2 minutes ago, omariqy said:

None of us would take a pay cut and I am not sure why people expect him to.

Depends what the pay cut is?

If he's on 40k a week here and Marseille offering 20k then fair enough....if he's on 30k though and Marseille giving him 25k is it really worth haggling.

I assume he didn't have a relegation clause in his deal either given he signed the summer before last one.

3 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Depends what the pay cut is?

If he's on 40k a week here and Marseille offering 20k then fair enough....if he's on 30k though and Marseille giving him 25k is it really worth haggling.

I assume he didn't have a relegation clause in his deal either given he signed the summer before last one.

He's on £35k pw here apparently. I doubt Marseille would offer more than £25k given their financial troubles. That's £520,000 gross difference a year. Even for a footballer that is a lot of money.

33 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

What is he on here if he couldn't agree terms with Marseille who I assumed were one of the big payers in the French league.

Let's remember he's only played for mug bottom half teams in europe....don't tell me he's on more here than the 30k a week Eriksen is on at Spurs...:ph34r:

Other than PSG the wages in France are low also they pay more Tax iirc so I expect they can't match what he is on here , same with Veretout 

In general it seems we have been paying over the odd's on salaries for years hence why we struggle to offload players , 65k on Zog for instance was just insane 

after one decent season at Wigan !!

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, Nabby said:

Other than PSG the wages in France are low also they pay more Tax iirc so I expect they can't match what he is on here , same with Veretout 

In general it seems we have been paying over the odd's on salaries for years hence why we struggle to offload players , 65k on Zog for instance was just insane 

after one decent season at Wigan !!

O.k that's fair enough but I just don't understand then how all these players we sign from French league and other mediocre teams get in the 30-50k range so easily. 

As we've seen most of the players we sign aren't actually very good and I despair when I see proper quality players like Kane and Eriksen in the 30-50k range at Spurs.

Seems we were still offering stupid contracts even in the Lerner cost cutting years, hopefully this is one area Dr Tony will be good at.

38 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

O.k that's fair enough but I just don't understand then how all these players we sign from French league and other mediocre teams get in the 30-50k range so easily. 

As we've seen most of the players we sign aren't actually very good and I despair when I see proper quality players like Kane and Eriksen in the 30-50k range at Spurs.

Seems we were still offering stupid contracts even in the Lerner cost cutting years, hopefully this is one area Dr Tony will be good at.

It's basically a gamble, isn't it. It's not like we've picked terrible players and gone "hey, have £35k a week" - we obviously thought they'd be better than they have been. 

Amazed that Eriksen is only on £30k a week though. Is that true?!?

7 minutes ago, bobzy said:

It's basically a gamble, isn't it. It's not like we've picked terrible players and gone "hey, have £35k a week" - we obviously thought they'd be better than they have been. 

Amazed that Eriksen is only on £30k a week though. Is that true?!?

All here mate....

http://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/christian-eriksen-rejects-tottenham-contract-offer-as-spurs-star-seeks-salary-increase-a3307671.html

Hugo Lloris, the goalkeeper and captain, collects about £80,000 a week, with Erik Lamela earning about £70,000 a week and Mousa Dembele £65,000 a week. Harry Kane, Tottenham’s top scorer for each of the last two seasons, is on about £50,000 a week.

Tottenham have wanted to tie up a new deal for Eriksen, 24, for nearly a year. Eriksen, who joined from Ajax for about £11million in the summer of 2013, earns about £30,000 weekly and is targeting a significant rise. There remains, however, optimism on both sides that the deal will eventually be done.

Edit: As I said elsewhere Spurs paying someone who's scored 50 goals in last two seasons 50k a week....we were paying Heskey 60k a week 7 years ago....

Edited by VillaChris

Harry Kane has come through their youth system and is happy to stay at Spurs though - not really a comparable asset to me.

Lamela was terrible in his first season but on £70k a week. We'd have written him off as a flop here!

21 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Harry Kane has come through their youth system and is happy to stay at Spurs though - not really a comparable asset to me.

Lamela was terrible in his first season but on £70k a week. We'd have written him off as a flop here!

Well 50 goals later it's still only 30k more than what the Fonz was getting here. ;) Gabby's probably been on that amount at some stage here so that's a more comparable player.

I'd love an insider to write a book on the Lerner years but no one would dare as O'Neill would be serving writs after every paragraph.

Edited by VillaChris

4 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

But you've added another dynamic in there blandy, we've no idea if he is happy or not, likewise Dem.

You are making big assumptions about the guy and his outlook on being at Villa and in England. It is easy for us fans to look at it purely from a football perspective but our lives aren't so easily directed by work, I'm not so sure footballers are either.

I wouldn't up sticks and move to a diffiferent company in Glasgow for less money while under contract because my new boss didn't rate me.

Possibly I have added another dynamic, but hey, it's a free world :)

The question was asked if I (anyone) would move if their boss didn't rate them. I can only answer for myself, but if my boss didn't rate me, and didn't let me do my job, I'd be unhappy and off like a shot.

While I accept the possibility the Carlos is happy not playing, I suspect that it will make him unhappy - he might/will lose his international place, for example. He might feel (rightly) he's wasting his time and his life "in the stiffs".

I don't think it's unreasonable to thing that in most cases players aren't happy when they're not playing. Yes there are exceptions, but not many.

I'm not saying he's obliged to move. He might think he can force his way back in, and if so good for him, only that if RDM has told him he doesn't rate him, then moving would be the best solution for hi in my view.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, blandy said:

Possibly I have added another dynamic, but hey, it's a free world :)

The question was asked if I (anyone) would move if their boss didn't rate them. I can only answer for myself, but if my boss didn't rate me, and didn't let me do my job, I'd be unhappy and off like a shot.

While I accept the possibility the Carlos is happy not playing, I suspect that it will make him unhappy - he might/will lose his international place, for example. He might feel (rightly) he's wasting his time and his life "in the stiffs".

I don't think it's unreasonable to thing that in most cases players aren't happy when they're not playing. Yes there are exceptions, but not many.

I'm not saying he's obliged to move. He might think he can force his way back in, and if so good for him, only that if RDM has told him he doesn't rate him, then moving would be the best solution for hi in my view.

Well yes it is and yes you were but you were also inferring that additional dynamic onto the situation with Sanchez if even only indirectly.

I agree with the above, I also though don't think it is unreasonable when players don't wish to move to another club for less money as so many often seem to think.

I find it generally a bit of a double standard with football fans, they want players to honor contracts but then seem to think that players should be willing for forgo the same contract when the club decides to move them on. While I'd hope players want to play above and beyond the terms of their contract i don't think they are doing wrong by opting not to do so.

I'd imagine at the age of 30 and with club career predominately outside the riches of Europe Sanchez is not making decisions purely upon game time.

2 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I also though don't think it is unreasonable when players don't wish to move to another club for less money as so many often seem to think

Me either.

In a "what would you do?" situation, I answered how I'd feel and what I'd do. It wasn't really a comment on what he is morally obliged to do, or anything like that. He's quite within his rights to stay. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, blandy said:

Me either.

In a "what would you do?" situation, I answered how I'd feel and what I'd do. It wasn't really a comment on what he is morally obliged to do, or anything like that. He's quite within his rights to stay. 

I was just asked to ask the question by your boss is all :)

• Like 1

I don't think Carlos is going anywhere.

On Saturday during the warmup he was the only player to come over to the fans and have photos taken, give autographs etc. Interacted really well.

Seemed far happier to be here than Ayew who was moaning all game.

Â