Joe Cole

TrentVilla

He's a decent player, we need his way of playing if we're going to push on with a possession game. The only reason we're struggling for goals is an unadventurous midfield coupled with the worst movement/positioning front line in all 4 leagues.

Pretty sure Trent said he was mainly on a pay as you play so he won't bleed us dry like a lot of other players we've had recently.

Does this mean that we do not pay him to train? We pay him purely for the minutes on the pitch?

Genuine question, if anyone actually knows, not just guesswork.

He had offers from the MLS before he signed for us so can see him ending up there.

We did only sign him on a 1 year deal didn't we? I know Senderos and Richardson were two years.

No, he is on a two year deal. Brilliant management.

He had offers from the MLS before he signed for us so can see him ending up there.

We did only sign him on a 1 year deal didn't we? I know Senderos and Richardson were two years.

Oh, please. We needed creativity, and don't have any money. Nobody expects him to be fit for more than half the season, but if he plays ten games, 20k a week is a good deal, and probably not one that Cole would have signed for only one year.

Edit: And we already have two points we wouldn't have had without him, so even if he never plays for us again it may be money well spent.

Edited by CrackpotForeigner
  • Like 4

Oh, please. We needed creativity, and don't have any money. Nobody expects him to be fit for more than half the season, but if he plays ten games, 20k a week is a good deal, and probably not one that Cole would have signed for only one year.

Edit: And we already have two points we wouldn't have had without him, so even if he never plays for us again it may be money well spent.

You misunterstood me, I'm glad he's here, I just think that given his obvious injury problem it was very unwise to give him a two year deal. In very much the same way it was madness to give Given a 5 year deal (which was obviously a worse mistake).

You misunterstood me, I'm glad he's here, I just think that given his obvious injury problem it was very unwise to give him a two year deal. In very much the same way it was madness to give Given a 5 year deal (which was obviously a worse mistake).

Maybe that was the only available option to Lambert and Cole would only sign if we offered him a 2 year deal?  

Fair enough, but I'd guess even Lambert would rather have signed him up for one year. Older players want long contracts, and he might not have come here otherwise. Don't worry, there's more than enough hysteria about the management without getting worked up over Joe Cole's extra year.

Fair enough, but I'd guess even Lambert would rather have signed him up for one year. Older players want long contracts, and he might not have come here otherwise. Don't worry, there's more than enough hysteria about the management without getting worked up over Joe Cole's extra year.

I'd guess that as well and I agree with the premise. I just think that it might have been positive to find a compromise. Say, for example, put a clause in the contract with an option for a second year based on appearences.

But yeah, that's hardly one of the major issues right now.

Â