Group D: URU CRC ENG ITA

limpid

I know the size of a country doesn't equate to how good you should be but Uruguay have a population of 3m. Croatia 4m. They are able to produce far better technically gifted players that we are able to. How is this possible?

Uruguay aren't actually that great to watch, they play more long ball than England but it works as Cavani and Suarez like to run onto things from wide positions.

They've always produce fantastic players though....Enzo Francescoli, Recoba, Forlan etc. It's the hunger I think.

Where are the little triangles other teams have where they can pass and move? We just have two central midfielders sitting next to the centre halves and 4 attackers just waiting for the ball. Sadly predictable. I don't know who could take over from Hodgson. For some reason the players just don't look like winners, despite there being some exciting talent.

• Like 1

How has it come to the point where Baines, Jagielka, Henderson, Welbeck and Johnson are first choice starting 11 players? We'd be absolutely decimated by atleast 7-8 teams that'll go through to the knockouts.

Will make this point again, these two in particular had brilliant seasons. For some reason, neither can play at that level on the international stage. There's something seriously wrong with the coherence of the team, players are not in tandem with each other.

The number of times Baines got into a good crossing position, only to check back because players weren't making the right runs! And for some reason, Henderson played so conservatively...which doesn't play to his strengths at all.

I can't see them playing so ponderously for their club sides, at all.

Edited by legov

I know the size of a country doesn't equate to how good you should be but Uruguay have a population of 3m. Croatia 4m. They are able to produce far better technically gifted players that we are able to. How is this possible?

because we overhype players from a certain club. If Henderson, Johnson, sterling played for villa they wouldn't be anyway near the England starting 11 - until we sort that we are competing with one hand tied behind our back

Probably 5 times as many people watched the game in England than live in Uruguay

because we overhype players from a certain club. If Henderson, Johnson, sterling played for villa they wouldn't be anyway near the England starting 11 - until we sort that we are competing with one hand tied behind our back

Did you even watch Liverpool last season? They were scintillating, and it wasn't all Suarez.

It's nothing to do with hype, they get that hype because they are the best we have coming through. It's that they're the best that's the problem.

That works both ways though. The US have over 300 million people and they're no more than half decent. India and China have never even qualified for a World Cup and they have over a billion each.

Probably 5 times as many people watched the game in England than live in Uruguay

probably more than that. Uruguay only have a population just over 3 million.

That works both ways though. The US have over 300 million people and they're no more than half decent. India and China have never even qualified for a World Cup and they have over a billion each.

China has, oi.

• Like 1

Class performance from suarez, the difference was, we aint got no world class players and uruguay have. Hopefully by the euro's we will be a better unit, got some decent players but I don't think we'll ever win anything again until we sort our academys out. Suarez stole the show yet again, pure class.

Absolute bollocks IMO. Suarez was only class for a matter of seconds, the rest of the game was hardly good from Uruguay but England couldn't finish their dinner let alone enough chances to win the game.

suarez was superb tonight, two good goals and a constant threat. His all round performance tonight was brilliant, as for the rest of the uruguay teamn they are very average. Infact they were terrible at the back for most part, suarez and cavani are lethal. Cavani did not do a lot in terms of excitement but I think he played a decent game. Back to suarez, imo he played very well. I've seen him play a lot better but he was good tonight. A class player can turn it on whenever, and he did. Yes I'm a huge suarez fan.

True but football is not the main sport in India or China. As for the States, i think they could be a force in years to come as the sport gets more popular. 

I think i was just getting at the lack of technical ability we seem to have in this country. Bit dejected that's all 

Edited by Xela
  • Like 1

It's more disappointing because they're really shit. Barely any shots on goal, completed about 5 passes all game and had no possession. We had nothing in midfield though, you can't play slow players like Gerrard in a midfield 2.