Group B: SPA NED CHI AUS

limpid

Maybe its simply because I am a fan of no nonsense German football. I just think Spain had it coming, and will not recover from it any time soon. I hope so anyway, as I simply dont like them.

this Germany team have bottle problems. semi finals of last 4 tournaments and not 1 trophy to show. Spain turned up when it mattered and even if football not as good as 2008 their dominance of Germany in 2010 semi finals was like men against boys even if only ended 1-0

Tim Cahill has 5 goals in 7 world cup starts - impressive. 

he has 5 of Australia 11 World Cup goals

More goals at WC level than Messi and Ronaldo put together :)

Edited by MrDuck
  • Like 1

You don't win 3 major tournaments in a row without being special.

Spain were brilliant. They've had their time though, the game has moved on. Doesn't diminish their wonderful achievements though, 

Mic09 - your entitled to your opinion but I don't agree with it. 1-0 doesn't equal riding your luck it can also mean being in total control of game and doing what it takes to win. You say they weren't the best team at last WC but I remember thinking from the start they were certs to win it and nobody looked capable of stopping them.

Also the not recover any time soon bit. Pretty sure a year or so ago they were World and Euro champs at virtually every level of the game so I think they'll be back soon enough, incredible conveyor belt of talent they have.

Around 10-15 years ago I was in Spain fairly regularly and played school sides out there as well as plenty of kick abouts in parks etc. We got absolutely dicked every time and we thought we had a decent side out there !

their team for Euros will probably be

De Gea

Caravajal Ramos  Pique  Azpilicueta

Busquets

Fabregas Ander Herrera Silva

Iniesta

Negredo

still not a bad team

their team for Euros will probably be

De Gea

Caravajal Ramos  Pique  Azpilicueta

Busquets

Fabregas Ander Herrera Silva

Iniesta

Negredo

still not a bad team

Isco, Illarramedi, Koke , Iturraspe, Navas and Alcantara are also midfield options. 

Inigo Martinez in central defence is another option as is Moreno at left back 

Great depth

Mic09 - your entitled to your opinion but I don't agree with it. 1-0 doesn't equal riding your luck it can also mean being in total control of game and doing what it takes to win. You say they weren't the best team at last WC but I remember thinking from the start they were certs to win it and nobody looked capable of stopping them.

Really?

Switzerland looked capable - hence why they beat them in the first game.

Chile looked capable too - but a lucky goal for Spain got them through.

Really?

Switzerland looked capable - hence why they beat them in the first game.

Chile looked capable too - but a lucky goal for Spain got them through.

Shaky start aside, when it hit the knock out stages, they were comfortable and won it easy without conceding a goal. 

Easy? Don't get me wrong, Spain was the best team. But they required a poor piece of finishing from robben and won it in the 116th minute... Doesn't sound easy to me.

And dodgy wins over Paraguay and Portugal.

At lease I can console myself that Australia have matched England and bettered Spain's performances so far :P

Dare we dream of a result against the current World Champions next week?

A fair chance I would think. The Australian team will fight hard in any game to make up for their lack of quality, and the manager knows what he's doing. Although they'll be missing Cahill.

Really depends which Spain turn up... a team of world class players desperate to claw back some pride, or a team that knows they're out and just wants to get it over and get on the plane.