Group B: SPA NED CHI AUS

limpid

Ok, I'll amend my original to statement to "I doubt Australia will struggle to qualify because AFC is arguably the easiest confederation to qualify from, certainly one of the two easiest along with concacaf."

Because they're both pretty bad if I'm honest. I'm not usually an American who's blindly prideful in concacaf or says things like "concacaf deserves more bids." (There are seriously people who say that) I think they deserve less places. Maybe 2.5 or 3, but with two half places. Thing is, I feel the same way about Asia. There's a good chance none of their teams will get out of the group, and that's with just 1 of their 4 teams in a challenging group.

In fairness the Concacaf teams have done well in this wc....Honduras for comedy value but seriously Costa Rica already through and U.S and Mexico both won a game and have decent chances of qualifying for round of 16 so that would justifiy their near enough 4 places again if the play off with New Zealand continues which is pretty much a bye.

I mentioned Aussies struggling for the world cup as I remember they had issues in the last qualifying round. Just checked back at some of their results aswell:

Oman 0-0 Australia

Australia 1-1 Japan

Jordan 2-1 Aussies

Aussies 2-2 Oman

Iraq 1-2 Aussies

The Iraq game was key. They were 1-0 down with 10 minutes left and turned in round which kept qualification in their own hands. Still think it went to the last game

From that though it's a struggle for them to win away games in Asia and that was with experienced players in their team so will be harder with a more youthful squad.

I think if it was possible for them to be drawn in a group with korea, Iran and Uzbekistan then I'm not sure they'd finish top 2. Play off would possibly be against the 5th place South American team aswell.

To be fair most nations outside top 30 or so would struggle to win in cities like Amman and Tehran.

For most European teams the furthest they have to go is Moscow or Turkey, but Sydney to Tehran is about an 18 hour journey.

Not to mention playing Qatar & Oman in 45 degree heat, something most nations are pissing themselves over for the forthcoming world cup.

• Like 1