Group B: SPA NED CHI AUS

limpid

The game has just moved on. They (and Barcelona) need a bit more physicality to go along with their technique.

Whilst I agree somewhat the biggest difference I've seen in their style of play(for both Spain and Barcelona) is winning the ball back.

A few years ago even if you managed to get the ball off Spain/barca they would be all over you and you'd barely have time to get your head up, the ball very rarely got out of the oppositions half of the pitch.

The past couple of years there's been nowhere near that intensity of pressing, and so the defence actually gets exposed and has to do some actual defending instead of just mopping up and being available for a pass, and it turns out they're not very good at it.

• Like 3

The game has just moved on. They (and Barcelona) need a bit more physicality to go along with their technique.

very much this

football is cylical, someone comes up with something and makes a success of it, the chasing pack seek to emulate it and make it better whilst those who came up with it get complacent and dont realise they are being overtaken until its too late

you then add to that spain had a proper "golden generation" (i hate that phrase) puyol is already finished, after this so will casillas, villa, torres, xavi and alonso, they are all world class players that dont grow on trees

my only problem with it is the strange mentality that when it starts to fade people question whether it was that good anyway, barca are the best club and spain the best country i've seen in my 30 years

Spot on

The Spain national team 2008-2012 is one of the greatest national teams of all time. 2 x Euros and 1 x World Cup.

• Like 2

There haven't been that many volleys better than that. Maybe this one.

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Fn9lzqI-DHg

(Fine, Its not better, I just wanted an excuse to post this)

My honest take on why Cahills is better comes down to necessity for me. First of all, I think that volley is harder than the header anyway. But Cahill had to hit the volley there, he didn't have time to take it down and shoot. Van persies header was brilliant, but he could have scored a simpler goal from the same situation.

Edited by Rovers13
  • Like 3

Cahill's goal > Van Persie's goal

But to be honest it's like arguing about whether you'd rather shag Jennifer Lawrence or Jessica Alba. It doesn't really matter, they're both amazing.

• Like 4

Just watching the highlights of the Spain vs Chile game on the red button.   End of the line for Iker, isn't it?   He's not first choice at Real Madrid, I suspect the game vs Australia will be the last time he is first choice for Spain. 

Just watching the highlights of the Spain vs Chile game on the red button.   End of the line for Iker, isn't it?   He's not first choice at Real Madrid, I suspect the game vs Australia will be the last time he is first choice for Spain. 

It should be, he was really poor this world cup.

To be fair if he played regularly he'd probably get it back, people underestimate match sharpness, especially for a keeper.

But you're right, this will be the last time he's first choice for Spain, imo. Wouldn't surprise me if they use the last game as an excuse to put De Gea in straight away.