Group A: BRZ CRO MEX CMR

limpid

I dont see it as a bad ref decision, I see it as Fred cheating ( conning the ref ) 

IMHO a draw would have been a fair result ( brazil only got their 3rd because Croatia were pushing up to try to equalise.

So with Suarez to play as well this could be remembered as the cheating world cup

I really think people are blowing this way out of proportion, I don't think Neymar elbowed Modric, he's had a look at him ya, but he hasn't gone in with his elbow, if that was our Christian we wouldn't be calling for a foul at all. In fact Benteke does something similar 3-5 times every game. 

• Like 1

“I never saw in my life that a referee don’t speak English,” said defender Vedran Corluka, though it is required of World Cup referees. “He was speaking something in Japanese but no one could understand him.”

http://www.japantimes.co.jp/sports/2014/06/13/soccer/international-soccer/japanese-referee-nichimura-spotlight-controversial-decisions-world-cup-opener/#.U5rShSia_Bp

I really think people are blowing this way out of proportion, I don't think Neymar elbowed Modric, he's had a look at him ya, but he hasn't gone in with his elbow, if that was our Christian we wouldn't be calling for a foul at all. In fact Benteke does something similar 3-5 times every game.

Not really, this was similar to the ivanovic play with benteke last summer at Chelsea.

What struck me watching the match last night is the build up to this World Cup has all been about the beautiful game and looking at past Brazil teams and how they played especially the 1970 team. Well last night for me it became apparent that the beautiful game may have gone forever. I know it was one match but the contrast was evident, now a game far more physical and filled with professionals and athletes not a game filled with entertainers and artists

Neymar and Oscar managed to entertain me last night, Oscar in particular. I love the way he glides across the pitch.

It was one game. A fascinating and yes, entertaining one, with plenty to talk about good and bad. This is what the world cup is all about.

Love it.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.
  • Like 1

Neymar didn't really swing his arm though, just held it out where Modric was moving to. I don't think he could have complained if the ref had given him a red but I don't think a yellow was a poor decision.

The penalty was a dive, nothing really new there, happens every week in the PL.

The disallowed goal was the usual, keepers getting too much protection, again happens every week.

• Like 2

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b9g1cmd1ZF0&t=1m24s 

If Neymar should have been sent off this is 2 red cards and he only got a yellow.

EDIT - 1m24s

Edited by Folski

I did not think the actual elbow part was that bad

I thought the way he swiped at his eye as he pulled his arm away was worse?

I thought he was booked for that and not the elbow

Edited by AshVilla

It wasn't an elbow, he didn't swing the arm at him.

Yes he had a look at him, yes he knew he was there and yes he raised his arm. But he raised it in anticipation of a challenge coming in from his side as the ball arrived.

In my view he was shielding himself from a player he knew was there who was likely to come in and given his size I can see why.

I thought he was trying to protect himself rather than hurt an opponent and that is a big difference for me.

For instance if a ball is played into you and you put your arm out straight to the side to shield a player coming around the side and they come onto your hand. Is that a red? It isn't for me, there is not intention there, you haven't struck the player even though your hand has caught them in the face and that is how I saw the 'incident' last night.

He could have been sent off and if he had been he would only have had himself to blame but it wasn't a red for me.

This.

The ref was crap. The penalty decision was abysmal.

But the Neymar foul was never a red card, and the croatia goal was a foul. The ref blew for a foul long before the ball had ever gone into the net as well.

• Like 1

It wasn't just the penalty call last night. 

A Brazil player would dive in and foul a Croatian player and not take any of the ball yet no free kick would be given.

A Croatian player would tackle a Brazilian player and get the ball and might catch the Brazilian player occasionally and every single time the free kick would be given in favour of Brazil.

If I was Brazilian I'd be worried by the amount of space Olic had.

Alves needs more protection.

Everytime he got forward, which was a lot, Brazil looked vulnerable down that flank as nobody really seemed to cover the gaping hole left by having no fullback, which is odd given that you could argue Brazil pioneered the marauding fullback, or certainly helped popularised it.

Alves gets away with it for Barca because they keep the ball so well and pressure so well when they lose it that they rarely get countered.

Last night Brazil lost it often and didn't win it back quick enough to prevent that break.

Every major decision benefited Brazil last night. I've never seen such a cowardly ref:

- No Neymar red card

- Shocking penalty call

- Legitimate goal wrongly ruled out for Croatia

Embarrassing.

It was really poor, I hope Brazil do not get too much support from the ref's this tournament.

At 1-0 down and looking a bit rudderless a red card for Neymar would have sparked some riots inside the stadium I'm sure. Should not have influenced the officals but may have been a factor in the thinking.

It wasn't just the penalty call last night. 

A Brazil player would dive in and foul a Croatian player and not take any of the ball yet no free kick would be given.

A Croatian player would tackle a Brazilian player and get the ball and might catch the Brazilian player occasionally and every single time the free kick would be given in favour of Brazil.

Exactly. The ref was poor. But of the 3 key decisions people keep talking about I actually think he got 2 of them right.

Plenty of stuff to have a go at the ref for last night. He buckled under the pressure of the home crowd.

I thought the ref was very poor, and wouldn't be surprised if an eye was on the unrest in Brazil and it was thought it'd be better all round if they just won. But two of the decision I can understand - the foul on the keeper shouldn't be a foul, but in modern day football, that's going to be given more often than not. The 'elbow' wasn't a real elbow, and you'd be annoyed if a Villa player got sent off for the same thing. One of the big one's I thought though that no one seems to have mentioned is when Olic (I think) got his legs clipped when through on goal and went flying. That was a red for me (TM Andy Townsend).