Group A: BRZ CRO MEX CMR

limpid

I think he needs to get his head on it before Cesar gets his gloves to it, it's hard to say JC was not impeded, goal keepers are offered more protection than anyone in these scenarios.

I think its a foul on Cesar to be honest. Olic led with the arm. Harsh maybe, but justified.

Doesn't matter though, the outrageous decision of the night was not that one

• Like 1

jesus guys, it's not some FIFA corruption backing Brazil..

You've all seen these pants decisions given 1000 times in the PL..

I bet some of you are wearing tin foil hats :lol:

yeah I don't buy into the ref being corrupt tonight.

Fifa are as corrupt as ****, but I don't think they'd go as far as paying a ref off to throw a game.

I just think the ref bottled it. He bowed to the huge home crowd and atmosphere and was looking for any excuse to give a decision to Brazil.

Not corrupt, just shit tonight.

• Like 1

It was, aside from the ref, a much more open game than I thought it would be and hopefully bodes well for the tournament.

Agree.

Very much enjoyed it, decisions soured it for me towards the end but all in all thought It was a very entertaining game.

I can't say that Croatia deserved to win, purely because their keeper was awful, but Brazil certainly didn't deserve to win that. If they play like that against some of the other teams they're going to need a few more questionable refereeing decisions.

Oscar motm.

The penalty was just a gift but for Croatia's disallowed goal, you see keepers given fouls for that everywhere. I don't agree with the amount of protection a keeper gets but it wasn't inconsistent with similar cases. 

Nashimura impressed in South Africa in 2010. He earned a quarterfinal assignment. (Where iirc he sent off a Brazilian player.). I did not see the 2013 confederations cup,, but reportedly he did well last summer as well. However, after about 10 minutes it seemed that he did not feel quite himself.... The heat? He stayed more narrow than I have ever seen, and he anticipated play incorrectly much more often than when I have watched him in the past. After the match was tied, IMO Croatia would have been happy with a tie and played to foul the game to a halt. Not brutal fouls, but repeated, tacky fouls, Frankly it was working as Brazil was frustrated for a long period of time.... Until the PK. Clearly, a bad call, but his position was strange, he was on the right wing side of the attack, Really unorthodox, this same ref, 4 years ago, would have been on left side of penalty arc or even farther to left wing. From that position he would have had a much better angle.

But ultimately, I don't think he missed the call because of his position. I think he was responding to the Brazilian justified frustration at persistent infringement. I think he knew he was missing it, and that played on his mind. That's my best theory and I get paid to discern what's going on in people's heads. To be clear, I would be certain the fell pressure was unconcious. But when you're in a big match and you know one team is getting frustrated at PI you are not addressing, you do realize that your missing something key and helping the "criminals". In that moment, you are susceptible to a gift.

After that, the game changed and he let a lot go both ways. Croatia certainly has every right to feel aggrieved,

Neymar got the glory, but Oscar was brilliant, and Luis stopped more goals than either of them scored. Both goal keepers were abominable.

I won't take the time to watch it again, but Modric seemed strangely far from the ball. I am curious why, did Brazil mark him out?

Anyway, my theory of the reason for tha bad call is just my theory, if I were the match inspector I would believe it unless/until the referee gave me a better theory.

Once Croatia gets past the frustration, I think they'll actually feel a little encouraged about their chances in the group.

• Like 1

But ultimately, I don't think he missed the call because of his position. I think he was responding to the Brazilian justified frustration at persistent infringement. I think he knew he was missing it, and that played on his mind. That's my best theory and I get paid to discern what's going on in people's heads. To be clear, I would be certain the fell pressure was unconcious. But when you're in a big match and you know one team is getting frustrated at PI you are not addressing, you do realize that your missing something key and helping the "criminals". In that moment, you are susceptible to a gift.

An interesting theory.

I prefer the much simpler "his vision was impeded by another Croatian player" - something that the replay seems to suggest - especially as I thought he did well apart from this call.