Group A: BRZ CRO MEX CMR

limpid

But ultimately, I don't think he missed the call because of his position. I think he was responding to the Brazilian justified frustration at persistent infringement. I think he knew he was missing it, and that played on his mind. That's my best theory and I get paid to discern what's going on in people's heads. To be clear, I would be certain the fell pressure was unconcious. But when you're in a big match and you know one team is getting frustrated at PI you are not addressing, you do realize that your missing something key and helping the "criminals". In that moment, you are susceptible to a gift.

An interesting theory.

I prefer the much simpler "his vision was impeded by another Croatian player" - something that the replay seems to suggest - especially as I thought he did well apart from this call.

If a replay suggests it, I will agree. I didn't see a replay that indicated that,,,,,, in that case, it comes back to poor positioning. Edited by srsmithusa

However, after about 10 minutes it seemed that he did not feel quite himself.... The heat? He stayed more narrow than I have ever seen, and he anticipated play incorrectly much more often than when I have watched him in the past. After the match was tied, IMO Croatia would have been happy with a tie and played to foul the game to a halt. Not brutal fouls, but repeated, tacky fouls, Frankly it was working as Brazil was frustrated for a long period of time.... Until the PK. Clearly, a bad call, but his position was strange, he was on the right wing side of the attack, Really unorthodox, this same ref, 4 years ago, would have been on left side of penalty arc or even farther to left wing. From that position he would have had a much better angle.

I have to say that I didn't see the game this way at all. To me there seemed to be as many poor tackles from the Brazilians as the Croatians and if I was the Croatia then I would feel very frustrated as they were rarely blown up by the ref. Pretty much every 50/50 decision went Brazil's way. Very, very poor refereeing.

However, after about 10 minutes it seemed that he did not feel quite himself.... The heat? He stayed more narrow than I have ever seen, and he anticipated play incorrectly much more often than when I have watched him in the past. After the match was tied, IMO Croatia would have been happy with a tie and played to foul the game to a halt. Not brutal fouls, but repeated, tacky fouls, Frankly it was working as Brazil was frustrated for a long period of time.... Until the PK. Clearly, a bad call, but his position was strange, he was on the right wing side of the attack, Really unorthodox, this same ref, 4 years ago, would have been on left side of penalty arc or even farther to left wing. From that position he would have had a much better angle.

I have to say that I didn't see the game this way at all. To me there seemed to be as many poor tackles from the Brazilians as the Croatians and if I was the Croatia then I would feel very frustrated as they were rarely blown up by the ref. Pretty much every 50/50 decision went Brazil's way. Very, very poor refereeing.

My thoughts exactly.

Didn't really think of Croatia as playing the niggly foul game at all. Brazil dominated possession so as you'd expect obviously won a lot more free kicks, but they seemed very happy to go down easily/dive to win them (Shock).

Game was very open and entertaining from my perspective; certainly didn't see it as one side trying to play the football with the other side just trying to grind it out with niggly fouls.

Edited by penguin

The opening ceremony was awful

the Brazil fans werent much better...different class of fans than their club supporters, I think

Brazil the team proved they will not win this tournament

im still waiting to see Paulinho do anything worthwhile on a football pitch

Dodgy ref

Oscar MOTM

Penguin. Not looking for a quarrel and you may be right, but you agree Brazil had a lot more possession and that the foul count was high with Croatia fouling more, you saw the latter as a consequence of the former, and it saw it as a tactical decision. Is that possible?

Again, I don't think it was true the entire match just the period between 1-1 and 2-1. I don't blame Croatia. If you can "keep the samba from playing," you can keep Brazil grounded. I will bet that if Brazil lose a match this tournament, it will be to a side that fouls often.

EDIT: foul count was 5 - 21

Edited by srsmithusa

Penguin. Not looking for a quarrel and you may be right, but you agree Brazil had a lot more possession and that the foul count was high with Croatia fouling more, you saw the latter as a consequence of the former, and it saw it as a tactical decision. Is that possible?

Again, I don't think it was true the entire match just the period between 1-1 and 2-1. I don't blame Croatia. If you can "keep the samba from playing," you can keep Brazil grounded. I will bet that if Brazil lose a match this tournament, it will be to a side that fouls often.

Does that include the foul that wasn't given, leading up to Oscar's goal?

Edited by AVFCforever1991

Does that include the foul that wasn't given, leading up to Oscar's goal?

I thought he got the ball to be honest. I'd have to see it again though.

two things, the ref bought the dive from Fred, cant blame the ref too much was a bad decision but Fred made it hard not to give. The dissallowed goal, well you see that all the time.Croat did lead/lean on the keeper in the build up, even if Ceasar did flap at it. Ref had a couple big decisions but its not as bad as people made out.

think he won the ball but initially I thought it was a foul mainly due to the fact they got away with everything

probably the worst Brazil team I have saw at a World Cup, they will probably go and win it now

Got the ball for me, I think some people in here are looking at hanging this ref for everything just because he gave a horrible penalty decision. 

think he won the ball but initially I thought it was a foul mainly due to the fact they got away with everything

probably the worst Brazil team I have saw at a World Cup, they will probably go and win it now

Makes no sense that Fred is in the team, Hulk in fairness was banging in the goals for Porto but Fred? Granted he has 17 in 33 for Brazil but still, I can't figure it out. 

I've never seen Hulk have a good game. He must have a great agent.

I still think if his name wasn't Hulk he wouldn't be anywhere near the Brazil team but then again they give Jo and Fred game time so maybe he would

What struck me watching the match last night is the build up to this World Cup has all been about the beautiful game and looking at past Brazil teams and how they played especially the 1970 team. Well last night for me it became apparent that the beautiful game may have gone forever. I know it was one match but the contrast was evident, now a game far more physical and filled with professionals and athletes not a game filled with entertainers and artists

• Like 1

I can't say that my disgust has diminished much over night and that surprises me.

I think that my disgust forms a continuum of moral revulsion from the corruption of FIFA, the way Brazil has wasted billions, while much of it looks like a third-world country, created a sense of disgust which was too obviously confirmed by the way game was presented and refereed.

As ever, that all too familiar assumption by the presenters that the audience wanted a particular team to win, and the way every word of analysis and interpretation was based upon that assumption.

The glaring assumption that the host nation needs to stop in the tournament for as long as possible. This glaring assumption seems to be driven by the self-interest of those enjoying free local hospitality and with at least one eye, definitely focused on the commercial imperatives. This partiality extends from what the commentator saw as worthy of his falsetto perorations, to which controversies were selected to scrutinised with a replay. 

This might have been endurable and set aside if justice had been allowed to prevail on the pitch.

It was bleedin' diabolical, I tell ya!

But this did not happen last night and although the media have chosen to concentrate on the penalty the referee handed to Brazil, it was the accumulation of poor decisions which went in Brazil's favour, over the game, which made it look corrupt.

Two decent penalty calls which were denied Croatia and worst of all Neymar's elbow on Luca Modric, which was obviously deliberate, all seemed to indicate that Brazil were meant to win the game.

Add in the disallowed goal and the game distilled into a disgusting spectacle, which revealed how the game is open to subtle manipulation and corruption, which is habitually camouflaged in a fog of opinion and the subterfuge of refereeing interpretation.

So everything which is known to be bad about international tournaments encapsulated in one game; the fact that it was the game which opened the tournament made it too egregious to be bearable.

• Like 1

Every major decision benefited Brazil last night. I've never seen such a cowardly ref:

- No Neymar red card

- Shocking penalty call

- Legitimate goal wrongly ruled out for Croatia

Embarrassing.

• Like 1