Glastonbury 2014

Xann

Another one of those middling 00s indie bands that will be forgotten soon enough.

I dunno, most of those have already been forgotten and they're headlining Glastonbury 10 years in. Like I say they always seem to bring out catchy singles that will keep them on the radio and yeah they have a bit of that chavvy football following.

yep, i dont think they'll lose the reputation of being a great live band anytime soon, they've headlined pretty much every big festival in the UK now i think, last 4 albums have gone to no 1, plenty of air time on the radio, sell out big arena tours pretty much every year and songs like fire are kings of leon level of mainstream 

pretty sure they've already had the band members walk away over differences thing too, if you're honest its serge and tom and a couple of other blokes, they wont go away anytime soon

Red button, bit of De La Soul's set. Maseo looking like Uncle Phil from Fresh Prince these days. They've still got it though.

Watched the whole set online earlier today. Bit too much of the old "the left side partaaaayyy, the right side ohh-yeahhhh" but other than that they were fantastic. If you think of all their contemporaries from back in the day and how there's pretty much nobody else still going, it's amazing how they're still so tight. Great closer too.

• Like 1

I've enjoyed a few things that I've seen/heard, including Rodrigo y Gabriella, Clean Bandit (nice to hear the cover of Show Me Love - had I been drunk I may have jumped up and jumped around the living room!) and Sean Kuti.

Hopefully all the sets will be on iplayer for the week or more so I can have a good trawl through them.

Edited by snowychap

I saw limited footage as I was away this weekend the only thing I thought is why do kasabian exist? I struggle to think of a poorer band and lyrically they would be shown up by a 6 year old. They are just a dreadfully bad version of lo fidelity allstars. Then what do I know.

you look at the crowd, smashed off their tits, bouncing around, flares out, singing the chorus, thats why they exist, they have stolen that part of the oasis crowd, it looked like a brilliant crowd

and they should all be on iplayer for 2 weeks i think, although im sure they tend to pair / group them all up rather than individual sets, keep an eye out on youtube, they come and go, watched rudimental last night on it

• Like 1

I've enjoyed a few things that I've seen/heard, including Rodrigo y Gabriella, Clean Bandit (nice to hear the cover of Show Me Love - had I been drunk I may have jumped up and jumped around the living room!) and Sean Kuti.

Hopefully all the sets will be on iplayer for the week or more so I can have a good trawl through them.

I was watching a couple on the iplayer via the telly last night (Anna Calvi and Interpol - both really excellent) and the window thing said available until 28 July.
  • Like 1

I saw limited footage as I was away this weekend the only thing I thought is why do kasabian exist? I struggle to think of a poorer band and lyrically they would be shown up by a 6 year old. They are just a dreadfully bad version of lo fidelity allstars. Then what do I know.

Yet I think they are great. Best gig I've been to. I think the moral of this thread is that, shockingly, different people like different music.

and me, wolverhampton civic as a warm up show before they played creamfields, in between the 2nd and 3rd album, played fire "for the 1st time live" it went off good and proper

but i can see why that appeals and at the same time why that would do absolutely nothing for some people, personally i still go to gigs to get pissed, bounce up and down and fight the urge to crowd surf, kasabian take some beating for that

Edited by villa4europe

indeed, they are clearly popular as they headlined Glastonbury, I have never got them and seen anything to change that. I have never liked bands that play to that audience.

• Like 1

You have to be below a certain age to like Kasabian because those of us above a certain age know where they nicked every idea from and as much as rock n roll is the ultimate derivative art form, sometimes the copyists don't inject enough of their own ideas to make them sufficiently different from what went before. Added to that the younger generations don't hold those bands that are being copied in as high a regard as the older generations, they don't feel like their own youth has been exploited. The final factor is the length of time between the original bands and the present, in Kasabians case its a very small timescale which I think amplifies the disdain from the older generations.

Ergo, Kasabian are shite ;)

• Like 3

Yeah kasabian took over from oasis, I have the debut album and don't get me wrong I don't mind some of their songs. But I could not sit down and listen to an album or even go out of my way to watch them live on tv. I imagine there good fun to go and watch though, I didn't mind the debut album but I got bored of it very quickly. They will be remembered like oasis are.

Â